Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Small Exporting Firms in the Fruits and Vegetables Sector in India: An Empirical Study
This paper presents an empirical study on the determinants of export orientation and export performance of the Fruits and Vegetables based Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in India. Using firm level data from the fourth all-India MSME census and applying econometric models, we find that firms’ individual characteristics, location specific factors, access to institutional credit and business environment were positively associated with export orientation of these MSME units. Larger MSMEs had significantly higher export growth. Promotional schemes of the government for MSME sector did not have any impact on export potential and export performance of these MSMEs, indicating that benefits of such schemes have not penetrated in these MSMEs.
- Abor, J.Y., E.K. Agbloyor and R. Kuipo (2014), Bank Finance and Export Activities of Small and Medium Enterprises, Review of Development Finance, 4(2): 97-103.
- Aleksandr, K. and P. Boris (2017), Export and its Financing in The SME Segment: Case Study from Slovakia, Journal of Competitiveness,9(1): 20-35.
- Bartoli, F., G. Ferri, P. Murro and Z. Rotondi (2014), Bank Support and Export: Evidence from Small Italian Firms, Small Business Economics, 42(2): 245-264.
- Bell, J., R. McNaughton, S. Young and D. Crick (2003), Towards an Integrative Model of Small Firm Internationalisation, Journal of International Entrepreneurship,1(1): 339-362.
- Bellone, F., P. Musso, L. Nesta and S. Schiavo (2010), Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behaviour, The World Economy, 33(3): 347-373.
- Berman, N. and J. Héricourt (2010), Financial Factors and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Cross-country Firm-level Data, Journal of Development Economics, 93(2): 206-217.
- Biswas, A. (2014), Financing Constraints for MSME Sector, International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies (IJIMS), 1(5): 60-68.
- Bung, P. (2012), Indian Fruit Processing Industry: Import and Export Analysis, Dharana, 6(2): 72-86. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) (2020), India, World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/ publications/resources/ the-world- factbook/
- Fauceglia, D. (2015), Credit Constraints, Firm Exports and Financial Development: Evidence from Developing Countries, The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 55(C): 53-66.
- Gashi, P., I. Hashi and G. Pugh (2014), Export behaviour of SMEs in Transition Countries, Small Business Economics, 42(2): 407-435.
- Ghouse, S.M. (2014), Export Competitiveness of India: The Role of MSMEs to Play!, International Journal of Management Research and Review, 4(11): 1069-1084.
- Global Trade Atlas (2020), India Export Statistics, Export Statistics, https://www.gtis.com/gta/
- Gomes, R. (2006), Upgrading without Exclusion: Lessons from SMEs in Fresh Fruit Producing Clusters in Brazil, (Chapter 3) in Pietrobelli, C., and R. Rabellotti (Eds.), Upgrading to Compete: Global Value Chains, Clusters, and SMEs in Latin America, pp. 71-107, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) (2019), Annual Report 2018–19. Government of India, New Delhi, https://msme.gov.in/
- Ottaviano, G. and C.V. Martincus (2011), SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?, Small Business Economics, 37(3): 341-361.
- Pietrovito, F. and A.F. Pozzolo (2021), Credit Constraints and Exports of SMEs in Emerging and Developing Countries, Small Business Economics, 56(1): 311-332.
- Pradhan, J.P. and K. Das (2012), Exports by Indian Manufacturing SMEs: Regional Patterns and Determinants(MPRA Paper No. 41804), Munich Personal RePEc Archive, pp. 1-22, https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/id/eprint/41804
- Sidhu, M.S. (2005), Fruit and Vegetable Processing Industry in India: An Appraisal of the Post-Reform Period, Economic and Political Weekly, 40(28): 3056-3061.
- The Office of Development Commissioner (MSME) (2019), Fourth All India Census of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises 2006-07, Government of India, New Delhi, http://www.dcmsme.gov.in/ito_msme/censuses.htm
- Wanger, J. (1995), Exports, Firm Size and Firm Dynamics, Small Business Economics, 7(1): 29-39.
- World Bank Group (2020), Employment in Agriculture (per cent of total employment) (modeled ILO estimate), The World Bank, https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.AGR. EMPL.ZS? most_recent_year_ des c=true
Abstract Views: 62
PDF Views: 0