Open Access Subscription Access
Environmental Influence on the Euglenoid Species Diversity and their Abundance in Museum Lake, Thiruvananthapuram, India
Twenty-three species belonging to the class Euglenophyceae were recorded from the Museum Lake, Thiruvananthapuram, India. A canonical correspondence analysis (CCA) between environmental variables and the dominant euglenophytes indicated interaction with certain physical and chemical parameters, in particular rainfall, electrical conductivity and phosphate versus their distribution in the Museum Lake. The dominant species were Euglena deses, Trachelomonas hispida and Trachelomonas volvocina. The CCA results indicate interaction between a variety of environmental parameters and species abundance. A closer examination suggests some external factor (e.g. evaporation) affecting water quality rather than the environment changing the algal biomass. With low rainfall the phosphate concentration increased from 1.5 to 6.9 mg P/l (likely as a result of anoxic conditions in the muddy bottom) and simultaneously nitrate was (partly) taken up by these dominant algae, as a result of which N : P ratios decreased from 4.5 to 0.7. The present study shows that the dominant euglenoid species co-occur in relatively hard water with high phosphorus concentration, and can be considered as useful bio-indicators in assessing the health and extent of deterioration of a lake ecosystem.
Canonical Correspondence Analysis, Environmental Variables, Euglenoid Species, Lake Ecosystem,
- Jahn, T. J., The euglenoid flagellates. Q. Rev. Biol., 1946, 21, 246–274.
- Arguelles, E. D. L. R., Martinez-Goss, M. R. and Shin, W., Some noteworthy photosynthetic euglenophytes from Los Baños, Laguna (Philippines) and its vicinity. Philipp. Sci., 2014, 51, 1–36.
- Ajayan, A. P. and Kumar, A. K. G., New geographical distribution of Euglenaria clepsydroides (Euglenophyceae) from India. Indian J. Trop. Biodivers., 2016, 24(1), 100–102.
- Saxena, M. R., Freshwater Euglenineae from Hyderabad, India. J. Indian Bot. Soc., 1955, 34, 429–450.
- Zafar, A. R., Two-year observation on the periodicity of Euglenineae in two fish breeding ponds. J. Indian Bot. Soc., 1959, 38, 491–540.
- Munawar, M., Ecological studies of Euglenineae in certain polluted and unpolluted environments. Hydrobiologia, 1972, 39, 307–320.
- Hosmani, S. P., A new species of the genus Phacus, Phacus bharatii sp. nov. Phykos, 1976, 15, 29–30.
- Philipose, M. T., Contributions to our knowledge of Indian algae III. Euglenineae Part I. The genus Euglena Ehrenberg. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Plant Sci.), 1982, 91, 551–599.
- Philipose, M. T., Contributions to our knowledge of Indian algae III. Part 2. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Plant Sci.), 1984, 93, 503– 552.
- Philipose, M. T., Contributions to our knowledge of Indian algae3. Euglenineae Part 3. the genera Trachelomonas Ehrenberg and Strombomonas Deflandre. Proc. Plant Sci., 1988, 98, 317–394.
- Shaji, C. and Patel, R. J., Contributions to euglenoids of Kerala, India. Phykos, 1991, 30, 109–114.
- Sinha, S., Industrial Effluents and Organisms Inhabiting them, Pt. R.S. University Publications, Raipur, 2002, p. 174.
- Ratha, S. K., Jena, M. and Adhikary, S. P., Euglenophytes from Orissa State, east coast of India. Algae, 2006, 21, 61–73.
- Bhakta, S., Das, S. K. and Adhikary, S. P., Freshwater algae of Sikkim. J. Indian Bot. Soc., 2010, 89, 169–184.
- Roy, A. S. and Pal, R., Freshwater euglenophytes from East Kolkata wetlands – a Ramsar site. Phytomorphology, 2016, 66, 113–121.
- Pandey, U. C. and Pandey, D. C., Freshwater Euglenineae from Allahabad. J. Kanpur. Univ. Res., 1980, 1, 247–251.
- Hosmani, S. P. and Bharati, S. G., Euglenineae of polluted and unpolluted water. Phykos, 1983, 22, 130–135.
- Puttaiah, E. T. and Somashekar, R. K., Distribution of euglenoids in lakes of Mysore city. Phykos, 1987, 26, 39–46.
- Kumawat, D. A. and Jawale, A. K., An ecological behaviour of euglenoids in a fish ponds: periodicity and abundance. J. Aquat. Biol., 2004, 19, 7–10.
- Kumawat, D. A. and Patil, J., Euglenoids of polluted and unpolluted water from north Maharashtra. India. Ecoscan Spec. Issue 1, 2011, 309–317.
- Wołowski, K. and Hindak, F., Atlas of Euglenophytes, House of the Slovak Academy of Sciences VEDA/Publishing, Bratislava, Slovankia, 2005.
- Ciugulea, I. and Triemer, R. E., A Color Atlas of Photosynthetic Euglenoids, Michigan State University Press, USA, 2010, p. 204.
- Triemer, R. E. and Zakryś, B., Photosynthetic euglenoids. In Freshwater Algae of North America. Ecology and Classification (eds Wehr, J. D., Sheath, R. G. and Kociolek, R. P.), 2015, pp. 459–483.
- Trivedi, M. K. and Goel, P. G., Chemical and Biological Methods for Pollution Studies, Environmental Publication, Karad, 1986, p. 247.
- Wetzel, R. G. and Likens, G. E., Limnological Analyses, Springer, New York, 1991, 2nd edn, pp. 1–175.
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, 2005, 21st edn.
- Subakov-Simic, G., Floristical, Taxonomical and Ecological Investigation of Pigmented Euglenophyta of Serbia, Doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade, Serbia, 2006, p. 338.
- Predojević, D., Subakov-Simić, G., Kovačević, E., Papić, P., Ćuk, M. , Kljajić, Z. and Lazić, M., Diversity of the Euglenophyta division in the Zasavica River, Serbia. Bot. Serbia, 2015, 39, 23–29.
- Liu, C., Liu, L. and Shen, H., Seasonal variations of phytoplankton community structure in relation to physico-chemical factors in Lake Baiyangdian, China. Proc. Environ. Sci., 2010, 2, 1622– 1631.
- Sharma, R. C., Singh, N. and Chauhan, A., The influence of physico-chemical parameters on phytoplankton distribution in a head water stream of Garhwal Himalayas: a case study. Egypt. J. Aquat. Res., 2016, 42, 11–21.
- Abrantes, N., Antunes, S. C., Pereira, M. J. and Goncalves, F., Seasonal succession of cladocerans and phytoplankton and their interactions in a shallow eutrophic lake (Lake Vela, Portugal). Acta Oecol., 2006, 29, 54–64.
- Zakrys, B. and Walne, P. L., Floristic, taxonomic and phytogeographic studies of green Euglenophyta from the southeastern United States, with emphasis on new and rare species. Arch. Hydrobiol. Suppl., 1994, 102, 71–114.
- Rahman, M. M., Jewel, M. A. S., Khan, S. and Haque, M. M., Study of euglenophytes bloom and its impact on fish growth in Bangladesh. Algae, 2007, 22, 185–192.
- Venkateswarlu, V., An ecological study of the algae of the River Moosi, Hyderabad (India) with special reference to water pollution II. Factors influencing the distribution of algae. Hydrobiologia, 1969, 33, 352–363.
- Kim, J. T. and Boo, S. M., Seasonal changes of the euglenoid species and the biomass in the Kumgang river. Algae, 1996, 11, 375– 379.
- Santana, L. M., Moraes M. E. B., Silva, D. M. L. and Ferragut, C., Spatial and temporal variation of phytoplankton in a tropical eutrophic river. Braz. J. Biol., 2016, 76, 600–610.
- Reynolds, C. S., Huszar, V., Kruk, C., Naselli-Flores, L. and Melo, S., Towards a functional classification of the freshwater phytoplankton. J. Plankton Res., 2002, 24, 417–428.
- Rosowski, J. R., Photosynthetic euglenoids. In Freshwater Algae of North America: Ecology and Classification (eds Wehr, J. D. and Sheath, R. G.), Academic Press, San Diego, 2003, pp. 383– 416.
- Reynolds, C. S., The response of phytoplankton communities to changing lake environments. Schweiz. Z. Hydrol., 1987, 49, 220– 235.
- Holzmann, R., Seasonal fluctuations in the diversity and compositional stability of phytoplankton communities in small lakes in upper Bavaria. Hydrobiologia, 1993, 249, 101–109.
- Barone, R. and Flores, L. N., Phytoplankton dynamics in a shallow, hypertrophic reservoir (Lake Arancio. Sicily). Hydrobiologia, 1994, 289, 199–214.
- Kim, J. T. and Boo, S. M., The relationships of green euglenoids to environmental variables in Jeonjucheon, Korea. Kor. J. Limnol., 2001, 34, 81–89.
- Kim, J. T., Boo, S. M. and Zakryś, B., Floristic and taxonomic accounts of the genus Euglena (Euglenophyceae) from Korean fresh waters. Algae, 1998, 13, 173–197.
- Jékely, G., Evolution of phototaxis. Rev. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. B, 2009, 364, 2795–2808.
- Palmer, C. M., A composite rating of algae tolerating organic pollution. J. Phycol., 1969, 5, 78–82.
- Rahman, M. M., Ghosh, J. K. and Islam, M. S., Relationships of euglenophytes bloom to environmental factors in the fish ponds at Rajshahi, Bangladesh. J. Agric. Veter. Sci., 2014, 7, 45–52.
Abstract Views: 118
PDF Views: 10