Open Access Subscription Access
Wind Load Response of Tall Buildings of Various Shapes
Rise in urbanization and due to scarcity in space available on the horizontal ground, there is a need for vertical expansion of cities. For which the high rise constructions are needed. Behaviour of the tall buildings subjected to wind loads along with vertical gravity loads is very much essential due to their vulnerability. This paper tries to explore the shape effect of buildings against the wind load using design software E-TABS. Different wind load patterns are ventured on various shapes of building viz. Square, Circular and Octagonal on direction basis to determine the response of buildings. Buildings of heights G+20 and G+40 are subjected to varying wind speeds of 33 m/s, 44 m/s and 50 m/s to determine the response of the building with varying shapes. The study focuses on maximum bending moment in columns, maximum roof displacement and storey drift. Shapes play an important role in resisting the wind loads and circular shaped building is found to perform the best.
Tall Building, Wind Load, E-TABS, Roof Displacement, Inter Storey Drift, Bending Moment.
- Mousaad Aly, A., “Pressure integration technique for predicting wind-induced response in high-rise buildings,” Alexandria engineering Journal (AEJ), 52, PP. 717-731, 2013.
- Amin, J.A., Ahuja, A.K., “Characteristics of wind forces and response of rectangular tall buildings” International Journal of Advance structural engineering, PP. 66 (1-14).
- Ming Gu., “Study on wind loads and responses of tall buildings and structures” The Seventh Asia-Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, 8-12 November, 2009,Taipei, Taiwan.
- Rohan Kulkarni, Muthumani, K., “Shape Effects on Wind Induced Response of Tall Buildings Using CFD” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 5 (3), PP. 2830-2836, 2016.
- Rony Kar, and Sujit Kumar Dalui., “Wind interference effect on an octagonal plan shaped tall building due to square plan shaped tall buildings” International Journal Of Advance structural engineering, PP. 73-86, 2016.
- Snehal Sawant, A., Vijaykumar Bhusare., “Shape effects on the wind induced response of high rise buildings” International Journal of Core Engineering & amp; Management (IJCEM), 3(4), PP. 132-144, 2016.
Abstract Views: 339
PDF Views: 183