Smart Warehouse vs. Traditional Warehouse - Review
The purpose of this paper is to review and compare between an automated warehouse and traditional warehouse based on processes or activities, problems, performance, and efficiency. The paper aims to review how new technologies could add value to processes and operations of warehousing and achieve economies of scale by transferring to an automated warehouse, or a traditional could add value without considering the new technologies and innovations in the current SCM. Furthermore, the paper aims to review the pros and cons for both methods taking two examples; one in Bahrain and another in China as the latter is considered one of fasting country in developing and adopting new technologies in the world. The current state of warehousing operations will be analyzed by the author in both types, using a literature overview and current status of typical functions and operations in warehousing and review how technologies in practice lead to promising new research directions.
- ACCENTURE (2010). Drive your own disruption. [online]. https://www.accenture.com/t20180514T065539Z__w__/fi-en/_acnmedia/PDF78/Accenture-8694-SupplyChain-Infographic-AW-LDM.pdf#zoom=50
- ALICKE, K., Rexhause, D. and Seyfert, A (2017). Supply chain 4.0 in consumer goods. [online]. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/consumer-packaged-goods/our-insights/supplychain-4-0-in-consumer-goods.
- BALLON, R. H. (2000). Business logistics/supply chain management, Planning, organizing and controlling the supply chain. 5th ed., USA, Pearsons-Prentice Hall.
- BERG, Jeroen P. Van Den. (2007). Integral Warehouse Management. [online]. http://www.lulu.com
- BERG, J.P. van den (1996). Planning and control oj warehousing systems. PhD thesis, University of Twente, The Netherlands, Fac. of Mech. Eng., Enschede.
- CHRIS MIDDLETON, Vinelake (2018). Five smart warehousing predictions. [online]. https://www.controleng.com/articles/five-smart-warehousing-predictions/
- FABREGAS, Krista (2017). Planning Your Warehouse Layout – How to Set Up Efficient Storage, Packing & Shipping Areas. [online]. https://fitsmallbusiness.com/warehouse-layout/
- FRANCIS, R.L., McGinnis, L.F., White, J.A., “Facilities Layout and Location.” 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, 1992.
- FRAZELLE, E. (2002). Supply Chain Strategy: The Logistics of Supply Chain Management. McGraw-Hill.
- GEEK (2018). Discussion: Will Warehouse Robots Completely Replace Traditional Logistics Industry Model? [online]. http://www.geekplus.com.cn/en/index.php/news/view?id=66
- GU, J., Goetschalckx, M., McGinnis, L. F. (2007). Research on warehouse operation: A comprehensive review. European Journal of Operational Research, 177, pp.1-21.
- HORBERRY, Tim. (2011). Safe Design of Mobile Equipment Traffic Management Systems. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics , 41 (5), pp.551-560.
- IRISH, Chris (2018). Smart warehousing: the smart choice? [online]. https://supplychainanalysis.igd.com/blogs/blog/t/smart-warehousing-the-smart-choice/i/20009
- KAMALI, Ali (2018). The Value of the Warehouse from the Pay and Training Aspects - Organizations in the Kingdom of Bahrain. CiiT Journal, 10(8), pp. 147-152.
- KAMALI, A (2018). Innovative and Smart Technologies in Logistics - Review. CiiT Journal, 10(10), pp. 216-222.
- LAKMAL AGDP, Wickramarachchi WADN, (2011). Enhancing the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Warehouse Operations in FMCG Sector in Sri Lanka, 17th ERU Research Symposium, Faculty Of Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- MARAS, Elliot (2015). The Warehouse As A Competitive Advantage. [online]. https://www.foodlogistics.com/3pl-4pl/article/12050647/the-warehouse-as-a-competitive-advantage
- O’BYRNE, Rob (2017). A Recommended Approach to Warehouse Layout and Operational Design. [online]. https://www.logisticsbureau.com/a-recommended-approach-to-warehouse-layout-and-operational-design/
- OPTIMIZATION, Warehousing and Inventory (2018). warehousing and inventory summit. [online]. http://www.warehousingandinventorysummit.com/
- RICHARDS, Gwynne (2011). Warehouse Management: A Complete Guide to Improving Efficiency and Minimizing Costs in the Modern Warehouse. Kogan Page Publishers.
- ROUWENHORST, B., Reuter, B., Stockrahm, V., van Houtum, G.J., Mantel, R.J. e Zijm, W.H.M. (2000). Warehouse design and control: Framework and literature review. European Journal of Operarional Research, 122, pp. 512-533.
- RUSHTON, Alan, Phil Croucher, and Peter Baker. (2010). The Handbook of Logistics and Distribution Management. Kogan Page Publishers.
- STEVE Banker, (2017). “New Robotic Solutions For The Warehouse,” Forbes, March, [online]. https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebanker/2017/03/07/new-robotic-solutions-for-the-warehouse/#b84caf66506e.
- TOMPKINS, J. A., White, J. A., Bozer, Y.A.& Tanchoco, J.M. A. (2010). Facilities Planning. John Wiley & Sons.
- VEEQO (2018). Warehouse Management. [online]. https://www.veeqo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Warehouse-Management-PDF.pdf
- WON, J., Olafsson, S. (2005). Joint order batching and order picking in warehouse operations. International Journal of Production Research, 43 (7), pp. 1427–1442.
Abstract Views: 1767
PDF Views: 1