Open Access Subscription Access
Long-term effect of inorganic fertilizers and amendments on macronutrients uptake and relationship with soil organic carbon under maize-wheat rotation system in an acid Alfisol
A study was conducted during winter (rabi) season 2018-19 in the ongoing long-term fertilizer experiment, initiated since 1972 in an acid Alfisol, at the experimental farm of the Department of Soil Science, Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvavidyalaya, Palampur to find the effect of chemical fertilizers, farmyard manure and lime application on yield and nutrient uptake by wheat and its relationship with soil organic carbon. The experiment consisted of eleven treatments with three replications in a randomized block design. The results revealed that the continuous use of NPK fertilizers along with FYM or lime resulted in higher wheat yield and nutrient uptake as compared to the other treatments. Soil organic carbon recorded a positive and significant relation with NPK uptake by wheat.
Alfisol, Manure, Nutrient uptake, Soil organic carbon, Wheat, Yield.
- Anonymous. 2020. Agricultural Statistics at a Glance. Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, India.
- Bhattacharyya R, Pandey AK, Gopinath KA, Mina BL, Bisht JK and Bhatt JC. 2016. Fertilization and crop residue addition impacts on yield sustainability under rainfed maize-wheat system in the Himalayas. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences India Section B Biological Sciences 86: 21-32.
- Black CA. 1965. Methods of Soil Analysis. Part II. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Chauhan N, Sankhyan NK, Sharma RP and Singh J. 2018. Effect of long-term application of fertilizers and amendments on wheat productivity and DTPA extractable micronutrients in an acid Alfisol. Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research 44 (1&2): 36-42.
- Chesti MH, Kohli A and Sharma AK. 2013. Effect of integrated nutrient management on yield of and nutrient uptake by wheat (Triticum aestivum) and soil properties under intermediate zone of Jammu and Kashmir. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science 61 (1): 1-6.
- Dhiman D, Sharma RP, Sankhyan NK, Sepehya S, Sharma SK and Kumar R. 2019. Effect of regular application of fertilizers, manure and lime on soil health and productivity of wheat in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Plant Nutrition 42 (19): 2507-2521.
- FAO. 2010. Scaling soil nutrient balances: Enabling mesolevel applications for African realities fertilizer and plant nutrition bulletin 15 Rome.
- Hunter MC, Smith RG, Schipanski ME, Atwood LW and Mortensen DA. 2017. Agriculture in 2050: recalibrating targets for sustainable intensification. Bioscience 67 (4): 386–391.
- Jackson ML. 1973. Soil Chemical Analysis. Prentice Hall Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA.
- Jadhao SD, Mali DV, Kharche VK, Singh M, Bhoyar SM, Kadu PR, Wanjari RH and Sonune BA. 2019. Impact of continuous manuring and fertilization on changes in soil quality under sorghum-wheat sequence on a Vertisols. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science 67(1): 55-64.
- Kalhapure A, Shete B, Dhonde M and Bodake P. 2014. Influence of different organic and inorganic sources of nutrients on maize (Zea mays). Indian Journal of Agronomy 59 (2): 295-300.
- Rajneesh, Sharma RP, Sankhyan NK and Kumar R. 2017. Long-term effect of fertilizers and amendments on depth-wise distribution of available NPK, micronutrient cations, productivity, and NPK uptake by maize-wheat system in an acid Alfisol of north-western Himalayas. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 48 (18): 2193-2209.
- Rajneesh, Sharma RP, Sankhyan NK, Kumar R and Sepehya S. 2018. Effect of a four-decade long application of fertilizers, farmyard manure and lime, on forms of soil acidity and their relationship with yield of wheat and maize in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Plant Nutrition 41 (11): 1444-1455.
- Sharma SK, Singh VP, Chouhan N and Sikarwar R. 2016. Effect of long-term fertility management practices on soil, crop quality and productivity of soybean grown in Vertisols of western Madhya Pradesh. International Journal of Agricultural Science 8 (60): 3371- 3377.
- Singh D, Sharma RP, Sankhyan NK and Meena SC. 2017. Influence of long-term application of chemical fertilizers and soil amendments on physico-chemical soil quality indicators and crop yield under maize-wheat cropping system in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 6: 198-204.
- Tan ZX, Lal R and Wiebe KD. 2005. Global soil nutrient depletion and yield reduction. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 26: 123–146.
- Walkley Aand Black CA. 1934. An examination of wet acid method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Science 37: 29-38.
- Wang JY, Yan XY and Gong W 2015. Effect of long-term fertilization on soil productivity on the north China plain. Pedosphere 25 (3): 450-458
Abstract Views: 59
PDF Views: 0