Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of different sources of nutrients on growth and productivity of maize-wheat cropping system under rainfed conditions
A field experiment was conducted for four consecutive seasons from kharif 2019 to rabi 2020-21 at CSK, Himachal Pradesh, Krishi Vishvavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh (India) to evaluate the effect of different sources of nutrients on growth and productivity of maize-wheat cropping system. The experiment -1 was laid down in Randomized Block Design with three replications having seven treatments viz., T1 - 10t ha -1 FYM + 5% Jeevamrit as basal and at 4 weeks interval, T - 10t ha FYM + 10% Jeevamrit as basal and at 4 weeks 2 -1 -1 interval, T3 - 50% RDN+ 10 t ha FYM+ 5% Jeevamrit as basal and at 4 weeks interval, T4 - 50% RDN+ 10 t ha FYM+ 10% Jeevamrit as basal and at 4 weeks interval T - seed treatment with Beejamrit followed by 5% 5 Jeevamrit as basal and at 4 weeks interval, T - seed treatment with Beejamrit followed by 10% Jeevamrit as 6 basal and at 4 weeks interval, T - recommended NPK through inorganic sources. Application of 50% RDN + 10 7 -1 -1 t ha FYM + 10% Jeevamrit remaining at parwith application of 50% RDN + 10 t ha FYM + 5% Jeevamrit and application of recommended NPK resulted in higher leaf area index and crop growth rate of maize and wheat. -1 Application of 50% RDN + 10 t ha FYM + 10% Jeevamrit proved best to obtain higher relative growth rate of maize, whereas relative growth rate of wheat at 60-90 DAS, 90-120 DAS and 120-150 DAS was significantly higher with Beejamrit + 5% Jeevamrit application. Significantly higher grain yield of maize and wheat, total - yield of system and system productivity of maize-wheat cropping system was obtained with 50% RDN + 10 t ha 1 FYM + 10% Jeevamrit.
Leaf area index, Jeevamrit, yield, maize, wheat.
- Anonymous. 2021a. Agricultural Statistics. Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, New Delhi p 44-48
- Anonymous. 2021b. Economic Survey, Economic and Statistics Department, Government of Himachal Pradesh p: 74-80.
- Bajpai RK, Chitale S, Upadhyay SK and Urkurkar JS. 2006. Long term studies on soil physico-chemical properties and productivity of rice-wheat system as influenced by integrated nutrient management in Inceptisols of Chhattisgarh. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science 54 (1): 24-29.
- Bandopadhyay KK, Mishra AK, Ghosh PK, Hati KM and Mandal KO. 2003. Effect of integrated use of farmyard manure and inorganic fertilizers on soil water dynamics, root growth, crop yield and water expense efficiency of rainfed soybean in a vertisol. Journal of Agricultural Physics 3 (1-2): 95-100.
- Basak BB, Biswas DR and Pal S .2013. Soil biochemical properties and grain quality as affected by organic manures and mineral fertilizers in soil under maize-wheat rotation. Agrochimica 7 (1): 49-66.
- Bharti B and Sharma RP. 2017. Long term effect of integrated nutrient management on soil properties and availability of nutrients in a Typic Hapludalfs under maize-wheat cropping. International Journal of Environmental & Agriculture Research 3 (6): 43-48.
- Blackman VH. 1919. The compound interest law and plant growth. Annals of Botany 33(3): 353-360.
- Chandra R, Kumar K and Singh J. 2004. Impact of anaerobically treated and untreated (raw) distillery effluent irrigation on soil microflora, growth, total chlorophyll and protein contents of Phaseolus aureus L. Journal of Environmental Biology 25 (3): 381-385.
- Choudhary VK and Kumar S. 2013. Maize production, economics and soil productivity under different organic source of nutrients in Eastern Himalayan region, India. International Journal of Plant Production 7 (1): 167-186.
- Dhiman S and Dubey YP. 2017. Studies on impact of nutrient management and tillage practices on yield attributes and yield on gram-maize cropping sequence. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research 51 (2): 305-312.
- Diacono M and Montemurro F. 2010. Long-term effects of organic amendments on soil fertility. A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development, Springer Verlag/EDPSciences/INRA30 (2): 401-422.
- Dugje TY and Odo PE. 2006. Variety and inter row spacing influence on direct estimation of leaf area index of pearl millet. Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research 18 (1): 27-34.
- Durani A, Safiullah K and Durani H. 2017. Effect of longterm application of organic and inorganic fertilizers on maize-wheat cropping system at different forms of nitrogen and soil properties. International Journal of Applied Research 3 (9): 525-532.
- Evans JR. 2013. Improving photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 162 (4): 1780-1793 Faujdar RS and Sharma M. 2013. Effect of FYM, biofertilizers and zinc on dynamics of available nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium in soil under maize-wheat cropping system. Asian Jounral of Soil Science 8 (1): 121-26.
- Gomez GA and Gomez AA. 1984. Statistical Procedure for nd Agricultural Research (2 ed.). John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp. 680.
- Gungula DT, Togun AO and King JG. 2005. The influence of N rates on maize leaf number and senescence in Nigeria. World Journal of Agricultural Science 1 (1): 1-5.
- Jarecki MK and Lal R. 2003. Crop management for soil carbon sequestration. Critical Reviews in Plant Science 22 (3): 471–502.
- Joshi E, Nepalia V, Verma A and Singh D. 2013. Effect of integrated nutrient management on growth, productivity and economics of maize (Zea mays). Indian Journal of Agronomy 58 (3): 434-436.
- Khalofah A, Khan MI, Arif M, Hussain A, Ullah R, Irfan M, Mahpara S, Shah RU, Ansari MJ, Kintl A, Brtnicky M, Danish S, Datta R and Farooq S. 2021. Deep placement of nitrogen fertilizer improves yield, nitrogen use efficiency and economic returns of transplanted fine rice. PLoS One 16: e0247529.
- Kumar V, Singh AK and Ray LIP. 2021. Effect of planting pattern and organic nutrient sources on performance of maize in maize-cowpea intercropping system. Journal of Agricultural Search 8 (1): 1-5.
- Lotter DW, Seidel R and Liebhardt W. 2003. The performance of organic and conventional cropping systems in an extreme climate year. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 18 (3): 146-154.
- Maqsood M, Babar MH and Tayyad M. 2005. Effect of nursery transplanting techniques and nitrogen levels on growth and yield of fine rice (basmati rice). Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research 42 (3-4): 21-24.
- Murthy KVR, Reddy DS and Reddy GP. 2012. Response of rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties to graded levels of nitrogen under aerobic culture. Indian Journal of Agronomy 57 (4): 367-372.
- Ponmozhi CI, Kumar R, Baba YAand Rao GM. 2019. Effect of integrated nutrient management on growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.). International Journal Current Microbiology and Applied Science 8 (11): 2675-2681. Radford PJ. 1967. Growth analysis formulae: their use and abuse. Crop Science 7 (3): 71-175.
- Sharma V, Singh MJ and Khokhar AK. 2020. Productivity, nutrient uptake and soil properties as influenced by integrated nutrient management in maize-wheat cropping system under rainfed conditions of submontane. Punjab Agriculture Research Journal 57 (6): 839-847.
- Singh V, Rana NS, Dhyani BP, Kumar R, Vivek, Naresh RK and Kumar A. 2018. Influences of organic and inorganic fertilizers on productivity and soil fertility of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in Typic Utochrept soil of Uttar Pradesh. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 7 (2): 260-265.
- Singh Y, Singh B, Ladha JK, Khind CS, Gupta RK, Meelu OPand Pasuquine E. 2004. Long term effects of organic input on yield and soil fertility in rice-wheat rotation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 68 (4): 845-853.
- Song Q, Zhang G and Zhu XG. 2013. Optimal crop canopy architecture to maximise canopy photosynthetic CO2 uptake under elevated CO : a theoretical study using a 2 mechanistic model of canopy photosynthesis. Functional Plant Biology 40 (1): 108-124.
- Verma NK, Pandey BK, Singh UP and Lodhi MD. 2012. Effect of sowing dates in relation to integrated nitrogen management on growth, yield and quality of rabi maize (Zea mays L.). Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences 22(2): 324-329.
- Yadav RL, Dwivedi BS and Pandey PS. 2000. Rice-wheat cropping system: assessment of sustainability under green manuring and chemical fertilizers inputs. Field Crop Research 65 (1): 15-30
Abstract Views: 53
PDF Views: 0