Open Access Subscription Access
Performance of parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) genotypes for yield and quality characters under protected environment
The experimental material comprises eight parthenocarpic cucumber genotypes to study the comparative performance of these genotypes for yield and quality characteristics under protected environment. The experiment was laid out in Randomized Block Design with three replications in spring-summer during 2020 at Vegetable Research Farm, Department of Vegetable Science and Floriculture, CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvavidyalaya, Palampur. DDPCG1 and DDPCG4 are good performing genotypes for yield related characters taken under study. Among all genotypes, DDPCG1 had maximum fruit weight, number of fruits per plant and yield/plant. DDPCG4 took minimum days to first fruit picking and maximum harvest duration. Lowest nodal position of first female flower, maximum fruit diameter and vine length were noticed in DDPCG5. Forquality parameters, DDPCG5 had maximum pericarp thickness and TSS.
Cucumber, gynoecious, protected, quality and yield.
- Ahirwar CS and Singh DK. 2018. Assessment of genetic variability in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 7: 813-22.
- Bhagwat A, Srinivasa V, Bhammanakati S and Shubha AS. 2018. Evaluation of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) genotypes under hill zone of Karnataka, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 7: 837-842.
- Choudhary H, Singh DK and Damke SR. 2015. Genetic variability in Cucumis sativus var. hardwickii: key to cucumber improvement. International Journal of Basic and Applied Agricultural Research 13: 340-43.
- Cochran WG and Cox GM. 1963. Experimental Designs. Asia Publishing House, Bombay, 293-316.
- Dingal DK, Patil SS, Birada MS and Mantur SM. 2018. Influence of different protected conditions on growth and yield of parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus) hybrids. Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 7: 1619-1624.
- Dogra LK. 2012. Genetic evaluation of some hybrids of cucumber under modified naturally ventilated greenhouse in mid hills of Western Himalayas. M.Sc. Thesis, p 92. Department of Vegetable Science and Floriculture, CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvavidyalaya, Palampur, India.
- Ene CO, Ogbonna PE, Agbo CU and Chukwudi UP. 2016. Studies of phenotypic and genotypic variation in sixteen cucumber genotypes. Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research 76: 307-313.
- Jakhar RK, Singh AK and Kumawat N. 2016. Yields attributes and yield of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) cultivars as influenced by growing conditions in arid zone of Rajasthan. Environment and Ecology 34: 2258- 2261.
- Kaur M and Sharma P. 2021. Recent advances in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 97: 3-23.
- Nagamani GV, Kumar JSA, Reddy TBM, Rajesh AM, Amarananjundeswara H, Reddy RLR and Doddabasappa B. 2019. Performance of different parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) hybrids for yield and yield attributing traits under shade net house. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 8: 978-982.
- Pal S, Sharma HR, Rai AK and Bhardwaj RK. 2017. Genetic variability, heritability and genetic gain for yield and quality traits in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). An International Quarterly Journal of Life Sciences 11: 1985-1990.
- Pushpalatha N, Anjanappa M, Devappa V and Pitchaimuthu M. 2016. Genetic variability and heritability for growth and yield in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Journal of Horticulture Sciences 11: 33-36.
- Ranjan P, Gangopadhyay KK, Bag MK, Roy A, Srivastava R, Bhardwaj R And Dutta M. 2015. Evaluation of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) germplasm for agronomic traits and disease resistance and estimation of genetic variability. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 85: 234 239.
- Shah KN, Rana DK and Singh V. 2018. Evaluation of genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) for various quantitative, qualitative and seed characters. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 7: 3296- 3303.
- Sharma AK, Vidyasagar K and Pathania NK. 2000. Studies on combining ability for earliness and marketable fruit yield in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research 26: 54-61.
- Sharma P, Dhillon NS, Kumar P and Mehta P. 2019. Evaluation of parthenocarpic cucumber genotypes for fruit yield and its contributing traits under protected environment of N-W Himalayas. International Journal of Chemistry Studies 3: 04-06.
- Sharma P, Kaur M, Shilpa, Sharma A and Bhardwaj N. 2021. Breeding vegetables for protected cultivation: A review. Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research 47: 1-17.
- Sharma S, Kumar R and Sharma HR. 2017. Studies on variability, heritability and genetic gain in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Indian Journal of Ecology 44: 829-33.
- Singh Y, Safiullah, Verma A, Sharma S and Sekhon BS. 2017. Genetic evaluation of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) genotypes for yield and its contributing traits under mid-hill conditions of Himachal Pradesh, India. Environment & Ecology 35: 3621-3626
Abstract Views: 57
PDF Views: 0