Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of five decades of application of inorganic fertilizers, farm yard manure and lime on maize and wheat productivity in an acid Alfisol
The effect of continuous application of fertilizers and amendments on maize and wheat yield in an acid Alfisol>/i> during 2019-20 was evaluated in a field experiment at the research farm of the Department of Soil Science, CSKHPKV Palampur (HP). The field experiment was conducted on a pre-established long-term fertilizer experiment (1972-73) which comprised of ten treatments up to 1980-81. The eleventh treatment, consisting of 100 per cent NPK (-S) was introduced in kharif, 1981. Thereafter, another treatment, consisting of Beejamrita, Jeevamrita and Ghanajeevamrita (Natural Farming) was introduced in kharif, 2019. The soil of the experimental area was silty clay loam and classified taxonomically as “Typic Hapludalf”. Continuous application of fertilizers and amendments for forty-seven years significantly influenced the yield of maize and wheat. The highest productivity of maize as well as wheat was recorded in the treatment comprising 100 per cent NPK + FYM and was statistically comparable with 100 per cent NPK + lime. Continuous application of N alone over the decades resulted in no yield. However, potassium and sulphur omission from the fertilization schedule for more than four decades resulted in drastic reduction in the yield. The grain and stover/straw yield recorded in natural farming plots was significantly lower as compared to other treatments except control
maize, wheat, yield, fertilizers, manures, Alfisol
- Anjali. 2022. Long term effect of fertilizers and amendments on nutrient dynamics and assessment of soil organic carbon in maize-wheat sequence. Ph D Thesis. Department of Soil Science, CSKHPKV, Palampur, India. p 89
- Anonymous. 2021b. Economic Survey, Economic and Statistics Department, Government of Himachal Pradesh P: 74-80.
- Babita. 2010. Nitrogen dynamics in soil-plant system as influenced by long-term use of chemical fertilizers and amendments in an acid Alfisol. M Sc Thesis.Department of Soil Science, CSKHPKV, Palampur, India. p 120
- Bharti A, Sharma RP, Sankhyan NK and Kumar R. 2021.Poductivity and NPK uptake by maize as influenced by conjunctive use of FYM, lime and fertilizers in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 20 (1): 100-106.
- Chauhan N, Sankhyan NK, Sharma RP and Singh J. 2018. Effect of long-term application of fertilizers and amendments on wheat productivity and DTPA extractable micronutrients in an acid Alfisol. Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research 44 (1&2): 36-42.
- Chauhan N, Sankhyan NK, Sharma RP, Singh J and Gourav. 2020. Effect of long-term application of inorganic fertilizers, farm yard manure and lime on wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) productivity, quality and nutrient content in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 43 (17): 2569-2578.
- Choudhary M, Pandey SC, Meena VS, Singh S, Yadav RP, Mahanta D, Mondal T, Mishra MK, Bisht JK and Pattanayak A. 2018. Long-term effects of organic manure and inorganic fertilization on sustainability and chemical soil quality indicators of soybean wheat cropping system in the Indian mid-Himalayas. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 257: 38-46.
- Das T, Ram S and Sirari P. 2012. Effect of long-term application of inorganic fertilizers and manure on yields, nutrients uptake and grain quality of wheat under ricewheat cropping system on a Mollisol. Pantnagar Journal of Research 10:174–80.
- Kaushal V. 2006.Dynamics of organic pools of the nutrients as influenced by long-term use of chemical fertilizers and amendments in an acid Alfisol. Ph D Thesis. Department of Soil Science, CSKHPKV, Palampur, India. p 172.
- Kundu DK, Mazumdar SP, Ghosh D, Saha AR, Majumdar B, Ghorai AK and Behera MS. 2016. Long-term effects of fertilizer and manure application on soil quality and sustainability of jute-rice-wheat production system in IndoGangetic plain. Journal of Applied and Natural Science 8: 1793-1800.
- Kumari G, Thakur SK, Kumar N, and Mishra B. 2013.Long-term effect of fertilizer, manure, and lime on yield sustainability and soil organic carbon status under maize (Zea mays)–wheat (Triticum aestivum) cropping system in Alfisols. Indian Journal of Agronomy 58 (2):152–58.
- Kumar et al. 2020.Effect of organic, inorganic manure and lime application on soil physiochemical properties and yield of maize in acidic soil of mid hill of Arunachal Pradesh. International Journal of chemical studies 8 (2): 2187-2190.
- Majhi P, Rout KK, Nanda G and Singh M. 2019.Soil quality for rice productivity and yield sustainability under longterm fertilizer and manure application. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 50 (11):1330–43.
- Majhi P, Rout KK, Nanda G & Singh M. 2021. Long term effects of fertilizer and manure application on productivity, sustainability and soil properties in a ricerice system on Inceptisols of Eastern India, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 52 (14):1631-1644.
- Mishra B, Sharma A, Singh SK, Prasad J, and Singh BP. 2008. Influence of continuous application of amendments to maize-wheat cropping system on dynamics of soil microbial biomass in Alfisols of Jharkhand. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science 56 (1):71–75.
- Nanda G, Meena RK, Sravan US, and Singh SP. 2016a. Effect of NPK levels and bio-organics on yield and nutrient removal by Basmati rice cv. HUBR 10-9. The Bioscan 11 (1):555–58.
- Nanda G, Sravan US, Singh A, and Singh SP. 2016b. Effect of NPK levels and bio-organics on growth, yield and economics of Basmati Rice (Oryza sativa L.) cv. HUBR 10-9. Environment and Ecology 34 (3C):1530–34.
- Patial D, Sankhyan NK, Sharma RP, Dev P& Anjali. 2022. Assessing Soil Physical and Chemical Properties Under Long Term Fertilization After Forty-Eight Years in North-Western Himalayas, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 53(17): 2257-2270.
- Shambhavi S, Kumar R, Sharma SP, Verma G, Sharma RP and Sharma SK. 2017.Long-term effect of inorganic fertilizers and amendments on productivity and root dynamics under maize wheat intensive cropping in an acid Alfisol. Journal of Applied and Natural Science 9: 2004-2012.
- Singh DK, Pandey PC, Nanda G, and Gupta S. 2019. Longterm effects of inorganic fertilizer and farmyard manure application on productivity, sustainability and profitability of rice-wheat system in Mollisols. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science 65 (2):139–51.
- Singh M, Wanjari RH, Kumar U and Chaudhari SK. 2019b. AICRP on Long-Term Fertilizer Experiments: Salient Achievements and Future Directions. Indian Journal of Fertilisers 15 (4): 356-372.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 0