Open Access Subscription Access
Analysis of a SONAR Detecting System Using Multi-Beamforming Algorithm
Sonar (Sound Navigation and Ranging) system is an advanced underwater object-detecting system for navigation. The sonar system aids in detecting obstacles and the presence of enemies within a given range. The sonar system detects the targeted objects by identifying the radius and range of the targeted objects. One of the major problems that affect the application of the sonar system is the inability to detect objects due to excessive echoes and noise in the spectrum. The excessive echoes created reverberations that tend to distort the original reflected signal of the sonar system. This research aims to develop a sonar system that can detect a target object at 15km using a beamforming technique. The technique aids in creating a very high-level concentration on the objects by sending multiples of the same signals to one receiver, thereby reducing reverberation and transmission losses. The results show that 15 obstacles were detected at 15km, and reverberations were reduced by 2dB, thereby improving the visibility of the detected signal within its range with the lowest transmission loss of 0.5dB compared to the ultrasonic sonar system and the conventional echo object detecting system having a transmission loss of 3.12dB and 5.67dB respectively.
Beamforming, Sonar, Echo, Underwater, Transmission loss.
- Haowen, T. Shixu, G. Peng, Z. Minyu, G. & Chao, S. (2021). Design and Implementation of a Real-Time Multi-Beam Sonar System Based on FPGA and DSP, Key Laboratory of Acoustics Research, China Jiliang University, Hangzhou 310018, China
- Ajith, K.K. Jomon, G. & Jagathyraj, V.P. (2014) Requirements analysis of an integrated sonar suite for surface ships: systems engineering perspective, Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory, Defence Research & Development Organisation, Kochi, India #School of Management Studies, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi, India.
- Hossein, P.M. Hossein, R. & Sung-Joon, P. (2018). SONAR Systems and Underwater Signal Processing: Classic and Modern Approaches, Scientific Applied College of Telecommunication, Tehran, Iran.
- Okpara, C.R. & Iwunna, C.A. (2020). Design and Development of a SONAR based Obstacle Detection and Avoidance System, Electrical/ Electronic Engineering Department Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria.
- Dong, C.L. Kyung-Min, S. Hee-Mun, P. & Byeong, S.K. (2022), Simulation Testing of Maritime CyberPhysical Systems: Application of Model-View-View Model, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME), Siheung 15011, Republic of Korea.
- Kim, T. Lee, D. &. Lee, S. (2014). Hierarchical multilevel on/off source traffic modeling for a warship combat system, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 39(2).
- Arciszewski, H.F.R. De -Greef. T.E. & Van Delft, J.H. (2009). Adaptive automation in a naval combat management system, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans, 39(6).
- P. Elechi, S. Kukuchuku and J.O. Egwaile (2019). Application of QPSK -OFDM for Improved Underwater Wireless Communication System, Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering, 11(4), 11 -17.
- P. Elechi, S. Orike, and C.E. Emmanuel (2020). An Improved Robotic Control System Using Wireless Fidelity Network, Journal of Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Control and Computer Science, 6(20),1- 6.
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 0