Open Access Subscription Access
Clustering based Dynamic Routing Algorithm for Efficient Energy Utilization in Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs)
The significance of proper and efficient energy utilization is quite high in Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). As a result, network lifetime can be massively enhanced. Therefore, Graph enabled Energy Optimized Routing (GEOR) algorithm is adopted to extend the lifetime of the sensor network and minimize energy consumption in WSNs. An efficient solution for lifetime enhancement of sensor network and energy minimization are key objectives of the proposed GEOR algorithm. The proposed GEOR algorithm provides improved performance than the traditional Low Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy (LEACH) approach. Here, the proposed GEOR algorithm enhances cluster size and the CH selection process is performed to elect CHs for multiple clusters present in the sensor network. A detailed solution for the optimization problem in WSNs is also presented. The mobility aspect of the sink node has a massive impact on energy consumption in WSNs. Experimental results are evaluated in terms of sensor network lifetime enhancement (number of alive nodes and number of dead nodes). Cluster formation and CH selection are performed based on the mobility cost function. Throughput and network lifetime results are obtained in terms of residual energy using the proposed GEOR algorithm. The result is compared against the traditional LEACH approach and the proposed GEOR algorithm shows superior performance.
Cluster, Cluster Head (CH), Graph enabled Energy Optimized Routing (GEOR) algorithm, Sensor Nodes, Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs).
- F. Deng, X. Yue, X. Fan, S. Guan, Y. Xu, and J. Chen, “Multisource energy harvesting system for a wireless sensor network node in the field environment,” IEEE Internet Things J., vol. 6, pp. 918–927, Feb. 2019.
- F.Karray,M.W. Jmal, A. Garcia-Ortiz,M. Abid, and A.M. Obeid, “A comprehensive survey on wireless sensor node hardware platforms,” Comput. Netw., vol. 144, pp. 89–110, 2018.
- O. Elijah, T. A. Rahman, I. Orikumhi, C. Y. Leow, and M. N. Hindia, “An overview of internet of things (IoT) and data analytics in agriculture: benefits and challenges,” IEEE Internet Things J., vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 3758–3773, Oct. 2018.
- L. Chettri and R. Bera, “A comprehensive survey on internet of things (IoT) toward 5G wireless systems,” IEEE Internet Things J., vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16–32, Jan. 2020.
- M. Stoyanova, Y. Nikoloudakis, S. Panagiotakis, E. Pallis, and E. K. Markakis, “A survey on the internet of things (IoT) forensics: challenges, approaches, and open issues,” IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutor., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 1191–1221, Jan. 2020.
- T. M. Behera, S. K. Mohapatra, U. C. Samal, M. S. Khan, M. Daneshmand, and A. H. Gandomi, “I-SEP: an improved routing protocol for heterogeneous WSN for IoT-based environmental monitoring,” IEEE Internet Things J., vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 710–717, Jan. 2020.
- J. Singh, S. S. Yadav, V. Kanungo, Yogita and V. Pal, "A Node Overhaul Scheme for Energy Efficient Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Sensors Letters, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1-4, April 2021, Art no. 7500604, doi: 10.1109/LSENS.2021.3068184.
- F. F. Jurado-Lasso, K. Clarke, A. N. Cadavid and A. Nirmalathas, "Energy-Aware Routing for SoftwareDefined Multihop Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 10174-10182, 15 April15, 2021, doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2021.3059789.
- B. Zhu, E. Bedeer, H. H. Nguyen, R. Barton and J. Henry, "Improved Soft-k-Means Clustering Algorithm for Balancing Energy Consumption in Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 4868-4881, 15 March15, 2021, doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2020.3031272.
- M. A. Aydin, B. Karabekir and A. H. Zaim, "Energy Efficient Clustering-Based Mobile Routing Algorithm on WSNs," in IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 89593-89601, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3090979.
- Karthik K J, Anitha K, "Efficient Energy Conservation Technique Using Sink Node Mobility for Big Data Gathering in Densely Distributed WSN" 1st International Conference on Innovations in Computing & Networking (ICICN16), CSE, RRCE, 2016
- Sangamesh J.Kalyane, Dr.Nagaraj B.Patil, "Lightweight & Energy Efficient Secure Data Transmission in WSN" Int. J. Advanced Networking and Applications Volume: 11 Issue: 02 Pages: 4205- 4212 (2019)
- N. Tekin, H. U. Yildiz and V. C. Gungor, "Node-Level Error Control Strategies for Prolonging the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 15386-15397, 1 July1, 2021, doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2021.3073889.
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 0