Open Access Subscription Access
Development of a Prototype for Census and Enumeration: A Case Study of Namibia
The most difficult and extensive task a national statistical office performs is a population census, which involves mapping a nation's population, enlisting and training a sizable number of enumerators, running a wide-ranging publicity campaign, encouraging every household to participate, gathering personal data, compiling a sizable amount of completed questionnaires, and analyzing and disseminating the results. According to the report, the traditional tablet-based census method utilized by the Namibia Statistic Agency has a number of drawbacks, including data loss and a protracted procedure. The goal of the study was to create a web-based application to support the Namibia Statistic Agency's (NSA) present system. The study employed a qualitative research methodology, and participants' issues and points of view were elicited using a descriptive research design. The research's findings showed that the web-based application for the census will cut down on the amount of time needed for data entry collecting and that the budget for the census will fall since the web-based system will cost less overall. The report concludes by recommending the NSA to consider employing the web-based application for its subsequent population count in order to do away with and simplify the manual data collection process.
Web-Based Application, Enumeration, Census, Namibia Statistics Agency, Prototype.
- Ayokunle, O., Olubukola, A., Olusola, M., Samuel, A., Oyebola., A. (2021). Web-Based Automated Census Management System. International Journal of Research in Information Technology (Vol 10, p: 01-10.
- Baidya, A. (2019). E-Census Information Management System. Department of CSE Daffodil International University: Bangladesh
- Berkes, E., Karger, E., & Nencka, P. (2021). E- Census Place Project: A Method for Geolocating Unstructured Place-Names.
- Dewi, L. P., Wibowo, A., & Immanuel, N. M. (2018). E-census Implementation: A Case study in Naikoten II, Kupang, Indonesia. In MATEC Web of Conferences (Vol. 248, p. 05003). EDP Sciences.
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs (2019). Guidelines on the use of electronic data collection technologies in population and housing censuses. United Nations: New York
- Horsfall, O. M., Kamalu, U. A., & Nwazor, N. O. (2018). A Computerized Electronic Census Enumeration Platform. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 7(2), 1-9.
- Ishak, M. S., & Fauzan, N. (2015). Writing an effective literature review: Practical step-by-step guide for beginners. Retrieved February 15, 2018, from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mai_S_Ishak/publication/283495019_Writing_Effective_Literature_Review_Some_practical_Strategies_for_Beginners/links/563ad99f08ae337ef298536c/Writin-Effective-Literature-Review-Some-practical-Strategies-for-Beginners.pdf
- Kanyuka, M., Ndawala, J., Chirwa, I., Makwemba, M., Phiri, R. A., Singano, C., & Kapaswiche, G. (2020). Malawi population and housing census technological trajectory: Unpacking 2018 experience. Statistical Journal of the IAOS, 36(1), 57-65.
- Kaur P, Stoltzfus J, Yellapu V. (2018) Descriptive statistics. Int J Acad Med [serial online] [cited 2019 Sep 5]; 4:60-63. Retrieved from: http://www.ijam-web.org/text.asp?2018/4/1/60/230853
- Liamputtong, P. (Ed.). (2019). Handbook of research methods in health social sciences. Singapore: Springer.
- Lottering, Shenelle. (2016). The impacts of undeveloped roads on the livelihoods of rural women. Review of Social Sciences. 1. 10.18533/RSS.v1i8.40.
- Namibia Statistic Agency (2014, June). Namibia 2011 Census FERTILITY REPORT. Retrieved from https://nsa.org.na/page/publications/
- Namibia Statistic Agency (2022, January). Update on 2021 population & housing census. Retrieved from https://nsa.org.na/page/publications/media/
- Ormord, L. (2014). Practical research, planning, and design (10th ed). United States of America: Pearson Education Limited.
- Okano, J. T., Ponce, J., Krönke, M., & Blower, S. (2022). Lack of ownership of mobile phones could hinder the rollout of mHealth interventions in Africa. Elife, 11, e79615.
- Tarik. B., “Using tablets for the 2018 Algerian census: Census data management and quality assessment,” Statistical Journal of the IAOS, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 777–784, 2017.
- Thindwa, D., Farooq, Y. G., Shakya, M., Saha, N., Tonks, S., Anokwa, Y., & alliance across Africa, T. S. T. (2020). Electronic data capture for large scale typhoid surveillance, household contact tracing, and health utilisation survey: Strategic Typhoid Alliance across Africa and Asia. Wellcome open research, 5.
- Tuanama, L. & Alfonso J. & Andrade-Arenas, L. (2020). Design of a Mobile Application for the Automation of the Census Process in Peru. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 11. 10.14569/IJACSA.2020.0111184.
- Zhu, M., Sari, A., & Lee, M. M. (2018). A systematic review of research methods and topics of the empirical MOOC literature (2014–2016). The Internet and Higher Education, 37, 31-39.
Abstract Views: 85
PDF Views: 56