Open Access Subscription Access
Automatic Segmentation of Infant Brain MRI using Soft Computing Techniques
This article is concerned with exploration and diagnostic implementation of an effective neo-anatomical brain MRI classification method to classify primal cognitive development and investigate neuro-anatomical intellectual disability correlations. A crucial stage in the research as well as appraisal of the newborn brain growth is neonatal brain tissue classification. Owing to the major variations in anatomy and tissues among neonate and mature brains, the largest proportion of developing technology for the classification and segmentation of the adult brain really aren't sufficient for newborns brain. The existing brain tissue classification strategies for MRIs rely either on manual interactions or involve the use of atlases or models, which ultimately skew the findings from the population used to extract atlas. This article, focuses on atlas free soft computing approach to classify the neonatal brain tissue. Classification of brain tissue is the main process in which regional brain tissue examination is conducted. This helps the regional brain development to be characterized and the correspondence with therapeutic conditions to be studied. The modified BM3D approach is utilized for image enhancement along with 32 Gabor filter bank-based feature extraction. The innovative aspect of this research is the multistage classification methodology, which produces higher dice coefficients and lower MHD values when compared to existing approaches
Classification, Infant, Soft Computing, BM3D, Atlas-free, Brain Tissue.
- A.G. Kolk, J. Hendrikse, J.J.M. Zwanenburg, F. Visser and P.R. Luijten, “Clinical Applications of 7T MRI in the Brain”, European Journal of Radiology, Vol. 82, pp. 708-718, 2013.
- J. M. Pennock, “Pediatric Brain MRI: Applications in Neonates and Infants”, Proceedings of International Conference on Recent Research, pp. 1-7, 2007.
- J. Dubois, M. Benders, C. Borradori-Tolsa, A. Cachia, F. Lazeyras, R. Ha-VinhLeuchter, S.V. Sizonenko, S.K. Warfield, Mangin and Huppi, “Primary Cortical Folding in the Human Newborn: An Early Marker of Later Functional Development”, Brain, Vol. 131, pp. 2028-2041, 2008.
- R. Rathbone, S.J. Counsell, O. Kapellou, L Dyet, N. Kennea, J. Hajnal, J.M. Allsop and Edwards, “Perinatal Cortical Growth and Childhood Neuro Cognitive Abilities”, Journal of Neurology, Vol. 77, No. 16, pp.1510-1517, 2011
- Alireza Osareh and Bita Shadgar, “A Computer Aided Diagnosis System for Breast Cancer”, International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 1-12, 2011
- NurettinAcır, Ozcan Ozdamar and Cuneyt Guzelis, “Automatic Classification of Auditory Brainstem Responses using SVM-based Feature Selection Algorithm for Threshold Detection”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 19, pp. 209-218, 2006
- G. Valentini, M. Muselli and F. Ruffino, “Cancer Recognition with Bagged Ensembles of Support Vector Machines”, Neuro Computing, Vol. 56, pp. 461-466, 2004.
- Y.L. Zhang, N. Guo, H. Du and W.H. Li, “Automated Defect Recognition of C-SAM Images in IC Packaging using Support Vector Machines”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 25, pp. 1191-1196, 2005.
- M. Karabatak and M.C. Ince, “An Expert System for Detection of Breast Cancer based on Association Rules and Neural Network”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, pp. 3465-3469, 2009.
- A. Mehmet Fatih, “Support Vector Machines Combined with Feature Selection for Breast Cancer Diagnosis”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, pp. 3240-3247, 2009.
- W.T. Freeman and M. Roth, “Orientation Histograms for Hand Gesture Recognition”, Proceedings of International Workshop on Automatic Face and Gesture-Recognition, pp. 296-301, 1995.
- Monika Sharma, R.B. Dubey, Sujata and S.K. Gupta, “Feature Extraction of Mammogram”, International Journal of Advanced Computer Research, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 1-13, 2012
- Shekhar Singh and P.R. Gupta, “Breast Cancer Detection and Classification of Histopathological Images”, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 23-29, 2011
- R. Nithya and B. Santhi “Comparative Study of Feature Extraction, Method for Breast Cancer Classification”, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 220-224, 2011.
- L. Tabar and P.B. Dean, “Composition and Methods for Detection and Treatment of Breast Cancer”, GynaecolObstet, Vol. 82, pp. 319-326, 2003.
- S. Dudoit, J. Fridlyand and T.P. Speed, “Comparison of Discrimination Methods for the Classification of Tumors using Gene Expression Data”, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 97, No. 4, pp. 57-65, 2002.
- L. Weinberg and Pedersen, "Gene Assessment and Sample Classification for Gene Expression Data using a Genetic Algorithm and k-Nearest Neighbor Method”, Combinational Chemistry and High Throughput Screening, Vol. 4, No. 8, pp. 727-739, 2001.
- J. Khan, J.S. Wei and M. Ringner, “Classification and Diagnostic Prediction of Cancers using Gene Expression Profiling and Artificial Neural Networks”, Nature Medicine, Vol. 7, pp. 673-679, 2001.
- K. Jong, J. Mary, A. Cornuejols, E. Marchiori and M. Sebag, “Ensemble Feature Ranking”, Proceedings of European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, pp. 1-6, 2004.
- D. Mahapatra, “Skull Stripping of Neonatal Brain MRI: using Prior Shape Information with Graph Cuts”, Journal of Digital Imaging, Vol. 25, pp. 802-814, 2012.
- M. Daliri, H.A. Moghaddam, S. Ghadimi, M. Momeni, F. Harirchi and M. Giti, “Skull Segmentation in 3D Neonatal MRI using Hybrid Hopfield Neural Network”, Proceedings of International Conference of MBS, pp. 222-226, 2010.
- Z. Song, “Statistical Tissue Segmentation of Neonatal Brain MR Images”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Bio-Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, pp. 1-234, 2008
- V.S. Egekher, M.J.N.L. Benders and I. Isgum, “Automatic Segmentation of Neonatal Brain MRI using Atlas based Segmentation and Machine Learning Approach”, Proceedings of MICCAI Grand Challenge: Neonatal Brain Segmentation, pp. 1-7, 2012.
- P. Anbeek, I. Isgum, B.J.M. Kooij and K.J. Kersbergen, “Automatic Segmentation of Eight Tissue Classes in Neonatal Brain MRI”, PLoS One, Vol. 8, No. 12, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- I.S. Gousias, A. Hammers, S.J. Counsell, L. Srinivasan and M.A. Rutherford, “Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Newborn Brain: Automatic Segmentation of Brain Images into 50 Anatomical Regions”, PLoS One, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 1-12, 2013.
- X. Yu, Y. Zhang, R.E. Lasky, S. Datta and N.A. Parikh, “Comprehensive Brain MRI Segmentation in High-Risk Preterm Newborns”, PLoS One, Vol. 5, No. 11, pp. 1-12, 2010.
- A. Melbourne, M.J. Cardoso and G.S. Kendall, “NeoBrainS12 Challenge: Adaptive Neonatal MRI Brain Segmentation with Myelinated White Matter Class and Automated Extraction of Ventricles I-IV”, Proceedings of International Conference on Neonatal Brain Segmentation, pp. 16-21, 2012.
- M. Prastawa, J.H. Gilmore, W. Lin and G. Gerig, “Automatic Segmentation of MR Images of the Developing Newborn Brain”, Medical Image Analysis, Vol. 9, pp. 457-466, 2005.
- H. Xue, L. Srinivasan, S. Jiang, M. Rutherford, A.D. Edwards, D. Rueckert and J.V. Hajnala, “Automatic Segmentation and Reconstruction of the Cortex from Neonatal MRI”, NeuroImage, Vol. 38, pp. 461-477, 2007.
- Z. Song, “Statistical Tissue Segmentation of Neonatal Brain MR Images”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, pp. 1-190, 2008.
- N.I. Weisenfeld and S.K. Warfield, “Automatic Segmentation of Newborn Brain MRI”, NeuroImage, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 564-572, 2009.
- L. Wang, F. Shi, G. Li, Y. Gao and W. Lin, “Segmentation of Neonatal Brain MR Images using Patch-Driven Level Sets”, NeuroImage, Vol. 84, No. 1, pp. 141-158, 2014.
- L. Wang, F. Shi, Y. Gao, G. Li and J. H. Gilmore, “Integration of Sparse Multimodality Representation and Anatomical Constraint for Isointense Infant Brain MR Image Segmentation”, NeuroImage, Vol. 89, No. 2, pp. 152-164, 2014.
- L. Wang, Y. Gao, F. Shi, G. Li and J.H. Gilmore, “LINKS: Learning-Based Multisource Integration Framework for Segmentation of Infant Brain Images”, NeuroImage, Vol. 108, pp. 160-172, 2015.
- L. Wang, F. Shi, P.T. Yap, W. Lin, J.H. Gilmore and D. Shen, “Longitudinally Guided Level Sets for Consistent Tissue Segmentation of Neonates”, Human Brain Mapping, Vol. 34, pp. 956-972, 2013.
- F. Leroy, J.F. Mangin, F. Rousseau, H. Glasel and L.H. Pannier, “Atlas-Free Surface Reconstruction of the Cortical Grey-White Interface in Infants”, PLoS One, Vol. 6, No. 11, pp. 1-15, 2011.
- L. Gui, R. Lisowski, T. Faundez, P. S. Hüppi, F. Lazeyras and M. Kocher, “Morphology-Driven Automatic Segmentation of MR Images of the Neonatal Brain”, Medical Image Analysis, Vol. 16, pp. 1565-1579, 2012.
- C.N. Devi, Anupama Chandrasekharan, V.K. Sundararaman and Zachariah C. Alex, “Neonatal Brain MRI Segmentation: A Review”, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol. 64, pp. 163-178, 2015.
- Sabina M. Chiţa, Karina J. Kersbergen, Floris Groenendaal, Linda S. de Vries, Max A. Viergever and Ivana Isguma, “Automatic Segmentation of MR Brain Images of Preterm Infants using Supervised Classification”, Journal of Neuro Image, Vol. 118, pp. 628-641,2015.
- L. Wang, “Benchmark on Automatic Six-Month-Old Infant Brain Segmentation Algorithms: The iSeg-2017 Challenge”, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 2219-2230, 2019.
- S.M. Smith, “Fast Robust Automated Brain Extraction”, Human Brain Mapping, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 143-155, 2002.
- D.W. Shattuck, S.R. Sandor-Leahy, K.A. Schaper, D.A. Rottenberg and R.M. Leahy, “Magnetic Resonance Image Tissue Classification using a Partial Volume Model”, NeuroImage, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 856-876 ,2001.
- V.M. Magar and T.B. Christy, “Gabor Filter Based Classification of Mammography Images using LS-SVM and Random Forest Classifier”, Proceedings of International Conference on Recent Trends in Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, pp. 69-83, 2018.
- N.S. Altman, “An Introduction to Kernel and Nearest-Neighbor Nonparametric Regression”, The American Statistician, Vol. 46, No 3, pp. 175-185, 1992.
- R.J. Samworth, “Optimal Weighted Nearest Neighbour Classifiers”, Annals of Statistics, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 2733-2763, 2012.
- X. Wang, X. Liu, N. Japkowicz and S. Matwin, “Ensemble of Multiple Kernel SVM Classifiers”, Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1-12, 2014.
- H.R. Niazkar and M. Niazkar, “Application of Artificial Neural Networks to Predict the COVID-19 Outbreak”, Global Health Research and Policy, Vol. 5, No. 50, pp. 1-12, 2020.
- A. M. Mendrik, “MRBrain Challenge: Online Evaluation Framework for Brain Image Segmentation in 3T MRI Scans”, Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Vol. 2015, pp. 1-13, 2015.
- V. Srhoj-Egekher and K.J. Kersbergen KJ, “Automatic Segmentation of Neonatal Brain MRI using Atlas based Segmentation and Machine Learning Approach”, Proceedings of International Conference on Neonatal Brain Segmentation, pp. 22-27,2012.
- L. Wang and F. Shi, “LINKS: Learning-Based Multi-Source Integration Framework for Segmentation of Infant Brain Images”, Neuroimage, Vol. 108, pp. 160-172, 2015.
Abstract Views: 23
PDF Views: 5