Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Build an Effective Deep Learning Model for Underwater Image Enhancement Based on EUVP Data
Images taken underwater often suffer from colour distortion as well as a reduction in visibility because of the light absorption and scattering that occurs. Existing approaches for underwater image enhancement make use of numerous assumptions/constraints to produce decent results. However, these solutions all have the same disadvantage in that the assumptions used may not work for certain scenarios. To solve this issue, this research provides an end-to-end system for underwater image augmentation that includes a CNN-based network dubbed VGG and UNet. There have been several studies in recent years proving the efficiency of deep learning approaches in various application fields. Color correction and haze removal tasks are used to train the VGG and UNet. This combined training technique allows for the simultaneous learning of a robust feature representation for both tasks. A pixel disrupting method is used in the suggested learning framework to better extract the intrinsic characteristics in local patches, which considerably enhances convergence speed and accuracy. We used EUVP dataset training images based on the underwater imaging model to handle VGG and UNet training. The testing findings on several real-world underwater settings show that the suggested strategy yields aesthetically pleasing outcomes. The experimental results for the full-reference measures SSIM, PSNR, RMSE, UCIQE, and UIQM demonstrate the reliability and efficacy of the proposed technique.
Image Enhancement, Underwater Image Enhancement, Deep Learning, VGGNET Model.
- J.S. Jaffe, “Underwater Optical Imaging: The Past, the Present, and the Prospects”, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 67, pp. 1-14, 2015.
- M. Sheinin and Y.Y. Schechner, “The Next Best Underwater View”, Available at https://openaccess.thecvf.com/content_cvpr_2016/papers/S heinin_The_Next_Best_CVPR_2016_paper.pdf, Accessed in 2016.
- D. Akkaynak, T. Treibitz, T. Shlesinger, R. Tamir, Y. Loya and D. Iluz, “What is the Space of Attenuation Coefficients in Underwater Computer Vision?”, Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 21-26, 2017.
- C. Li, C. Guo, J. Guo, P. Han, H. Fu and R. Cong, “PDRNet: Perception-Inspired Single Image Dehazing Network with Refinement”, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 78, pp. 1-14, 2020.
- W. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Fu, J. Shen, H. Ling and R. Yang, “Salient Object Detection in the Deep Learning Era: An Indepth Survey”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 44, pp. 3239-3259, 2021.
- C. Li, R. Cong, J. Hou, S. Zhang, Y. Qian and S. Kwong, “Nested Network with Two-Stream Pyramid for Salient Object Detection in Optical Remote Sensing Images”, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 99, pp. 1-11, 2019.
- R. Cong, “An Iterative Co-Saliency Framework for RGBD Images”, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 233-246, 2019.
- C. Guo, C. Li, J. Guo, R. Cong, H. Fu and P. Han, “Hierarchical Features Driven Residual Learning for Depth Map Super-Resolution”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2545-2557, 2019.
- J. Zhang, L. Zhu, L. Xu and Q. Xie, “Research on the Correlation between Image Enhancement and Underwater Object Detection”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 1525-1543, 2020.
- C. Li, “An Underwater Image Enhancement Benchmark Dataset and Beyond”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1235-1241, 2020.
- Y.C. Wu, P.Y. Shih, L.P. Chen, C.C. Wang and H. Samani, “Towards Underwater Sustainability using ROV Equipped with Deep Learning System”, Proceedings of International Conference on Automation Control, pp. 1-5, 2020.
- R. Thomas, L. Thampi, S. Kamal, A.A. Balakrishnan, T.P. Mithun Haridas and M.H. Supriya, “Dehazing Underwater Images using Encoder Decoder Based Generic ModelAgnostic Convolutional Neural Network”, Proceedings of International Conference on Ocean Technology, pp. 1-6, 2021.
- L. Chen, “Perceptual Underwater Image Enhancement with Deep Learning and Physical Priors”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 99, pp. 1- 16, 2021.
- P. Hambarde, S. Murala and A. Dhall, “UW-GAN: Single Image Depth Estimation and Image Enhancement for Underwater Images”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 70, pp. 1-15, 2021.
- Q. Qi, “Underwater Image Co-Enhancement with Correlation Feature Matching and Joint Learning”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1133-1147, 2022.
- S. Kollmannsberger, D. D’Angella, M. Jokeit and L. Herrmann, “Neural Networks”, Proceedings of International Conference on Studies in Computational Intelligence, pp. 1-12, 2021.
- L Haripriya and M.A. Jabbar, “A Survey on Neural Networks and Its Applications”, International Journal of Engineering Research in Computer Science and Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2018.
- O. Ronneberger, P. Fischer and T. Brox, “U-Net: Convolutional Networks for Biomedical Image Segmentation”, Proceedings of International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, pp. 234-241, 2015.
- J. Jordan, “Introduction to Autoencoders”, Available at https://www.jeremyjordan.me/autoencoders/, Accessed at 2018.
- R. J. Erb, “Introduction to Backpropagation Neural Network Computation”, Pharmaceutical Research: An Official Journal of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, Vol. 34, pp. 1-9, 1993.
- C. Hodges, M. Bennamoun and H. Rahmani, “Single Image Dehazing using Deep Neural Networks”, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 79, pp. 1-17, 2019.
- B. Sankur, “Statistical Evaluation of Image Quality Measures”, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 206-223, 2002.
- Z. Wang, A.C. Bovik, H.R. Sheikh and E.P. Simoncelli, “Image Quality Assessment: From Error Visibility to Structural Similarity”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 600-612, 2004.
- A. Mittal, A.K. Moorthy and A.C. Bovik, “No-Reference Image Quality Assessment in the Spatial Domain”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 21, No. 12, pp. 4695-4708, 2012.
- Karen Simonyan and Andrew Zisserman, “Very Deep Convolutional Networks for Large-Scale Image Recognition”, Proceedings of International Conference on Learning Representation, pp. 1-14, 2014.
Abstract Views: 107
PDF Views: 0