Open Access Subscription Access
IP Audit: A Case Study of IIT Delhi
Intellectual property (IP), can be developed, owned, managed and commercialized to generate significant economic return to empower the organization. In this era, where IP regimes are shifting drastically and where intangible assets are gaining prominence with huge momentum, identifying and efficiently utilizing intellectual assets owned by an institution is of utmost importance. Hence, it is now imperative for institutions to develop the expertise and capability not only to foster the generation and creation of IP through R&D, but also to manage the same. In this paper, the authors intend to understand the IP policy framework of the institution, and conduct a basic IP audit which helps to understand the strength of the IP management system.
Intellectual Property, IP Audit, IP Policy, IPMS, Intellectual Capital, IPR Score, IP Portfolio, Intangible Assets, Technology Transfer.
- Preamble IPR Policy, IIT Delhi, IPR Policy Draft, iitd.ac.in (accessed on 5 April 2021).
- Bo Carlsson et al., Intellectual property (IP) management: Organizational processes and structures, and the role of IP donations, Journal of Technology Transfer, 33 (2008) 549.
- Gouri G & Momaya K S, Intellectual property management system: Develop and self-assess using IPM model, World Patent Information, 52 (2018) 29-41.
- Sullivan P H, Value driven intellectual capital: How to convert intangible corporate assets into market value, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 978-0-471-35104-7, 2000.
- Gouri G & Jain K, Intellectual Property Audit for Efficient Intellectual Property Management of an Organisation presented at Technology Management for Emerging Technologies (PICMET), (2012), 2012 Proceedings of PICMET '12, Vancouver, Canada, 29 July - 2 August 2012.
- Yumiko H, IP Policy, World Intellectual Property Organization, 2017, https://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/aspac/en/ wipo_ip_bkk_17/wipo_ip_bkk_17_4.pdf (accessed on 4 April 2021).
- Rastogi T, IP audit: Way to a healthy organization, Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 15 (4) (2010) 302 – 309.
- Khoury P E, Conducting an IP audit and managing IP assets, WIPO, (2015), https://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/sme/en/ wipo_smes_thr_15/wipo_smes_thr_15_t10.pdf (accessed on 4 April 2021).
- Pierre El Khoury (2015), Conducting an IP Audit and managing IP assets, WIPO, https://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/ sme/en/wipo_smes_thr_15/wipo_smes_thr_15_t10.pdf (accessed on 4th April 2021)
- Gargate G, Siddiquee Q et. Al, Intellectual property audit of an organization, The Journal of World Intellectual Property, 22 (1-2) 2019. Table 2 — IPR credence IPR Credence Patent 03 Copyright 01 Industrial Design 02 Trademark 1.5 Layout Design of IC 02 Geographical Indication 1.5 Trade Secret 00 Plant Varieties and Farmer’s Rights 03 Table 3 — IPR score Academic Year IPR score 2016-2017 2036 2017-2018 3622 2018-2019 4082
- IP Valuation, WIPO, https://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/ sme/en/documents/pdf/ip_panorama_11_learning_points.pdf (accessed on 10 May 2021)
- History of the Institute, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, https://home.iitd.ac.in/about.php (accessed on 5 April 2021).
- Departments, centres and schools, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, https://home.iitd.ac.in/departments.php (accessed on 5 April 2021).
- Intellectual Property Rights, Industrial Research and Development Unit, IIT Delhi, https://ird.iitd.ac.in/content/ intellectual-property-rights-ipr (accessed on 10 May 2021).
- Goldin C, Human Capital, Handbook of Cliometrics, Heidelberg, Germany, Springer Verlag; (2019), 2016.
- Subramaniam et al., The influence of intellectual capital on the types of innovative capabilities, Academy of Management Journal, 48 (3) (2005) 450-463.
- Ludewig O & and Sadowski D, Measuring organizational capital, Schmalenbach Business Review, 61 (2010) 393-412.
- https://government.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/edu cation/iit-delhi-files-150-intellectual-property-rights-in- 2019/72993392 (accessed on 3 April 2021).
- https://www.businessstandard. com/article/education/intellectual-property-filingsup- 20-at-iit-delhi-highest-ever-in-a-year- 119122700949_1.html#:~:text=Intellectual%20property%20( IP)%20filings%20including,highest%20ever%20in%20a%20 year (accessed on 3 April 2021).
Abstract Views: 28
PDF Views: 11