Open Access Subscription Access
Revisiting the Investment Opportunities in Intellectual Property
The present study shall assess the various modes and kinds of investments in the recent past and how the investment in intangibles has witnessed growth in the recent decade. This doctrinal study found that Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) as an investment has been in use since the late 1900s in various international agreements, apart from the traditional methods of investment in IPR such as, licensing, assignment, and securitization. Though, some countries do not have legislations to deal with the traditional methods of investment, International Investment Agreements (IIAs) have been a driving force for the investments in IPR. Since the advent of such an agreement, countries have always mentioned IP protection as an essential clause. However, the differing laws of the countries paved the way for varied definitions and kinds of IP protection. It has been found from the existing literature that at the present, most IIAs have emphasized investor protection priority over IP protection which also forms an essential part of the agreement. This requires that there be adequate laws to supplement the agreements at both the domestic and international levels. The IP forming the heart of the agreement should be given priority in terms of protection coupled with adequate redressal mechanisms.
Investment, International Investment Agreements, License, Assignment, Franchise, Intangible Investment, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Liberti L, Intellectual Property Rights in International Investment Agreements: An Overview, OECD Publishing, 2010, https://www.oecd.org/daf/inv/investment-policy/WP- 2010_1.pdf.
- Correa C, Intellectual property rights as protected investments: How open are the gates?, Journal of International Economic Law, 19 (2016) 91.
- Boie B, Protection of Intellectual Properties Rights through Bilateral Investment Treaties: Is there a TRIPSplus dimension?, Swiss National Centre for Competence in Research, 2010, https://www.wti.org/media/filer_public/.
- Upreti P N, The Role of National and International Intellectual Property Law and Policy in reconceptualising the definition of investment, International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 52 (2021) 103.
- UNCTAD, Intellectual Property Provisions in International Investment Agreements, UNCTAD/WEB/ITE/IIA/2007/1, https://unctad.org/system/files/officialdocument/ webiteiia20071_en.pdf.
- Cambridge Dictionary, https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ dictionary/english/investment (accessed on 18 October, 2021).
- Capital Market Authority, Saudi Arabia, Investment, https://cma.org.sa/en/Awareness/Publications/booklets/Bookl et_1.pdf (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- Salini Costruttori S.P.A. And Italstrade S.P.A. v Kingdom of Morocco, ICSID Case No. ARB/00/4, https:// www.italaw.com/sites/default/files/casedocuments/ ita0738.pdf.
- Philip Morris Brands Sàrl, Philip Morris Products S.A. And Abal Hermanos S.A. v Oriental Republic of Uruguay, ICSID Case no. ARB/10/7, https://www.italaw.com/sites/ default/ files/case-documents/italaw1531.pdf.
- Denisia & Ventila, Foreign Direct Investment theories: An overview of the main FDI theories, European Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 2(2) (2010) 104-110.
- Fisher W, Theories of Intellectual Property, https://cyber.harvard.edu/people/tfisher/iptheory.pdf (accessed on 24 February 2022).
- Pearl J, Intangible investments, tangible results, MIT Sloan Management Review, Fall 2001, https://sloanreview.mit.edu/ article/finance-intangible-investments-tangible-results/ (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketingand- sales (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- Dobal S & Pande B, India Inc ranked third globally in intangible assets, https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ news/economy/indicators (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- International Monetary Fund, Maldives: Technical Assistance Report, IMF Country Report No. 21/234 (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- Khandelwal P, India: 5 ways to protect your IP in crowd funding, https://www.mondaq.com/india/trademark/ 1097316/5-ways-to-protect-your-ip-in-crowdfunding (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- Afaq A & Chhaya R, Securitization of intellectual property: The legal recourse in India, Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 27(2) (2022) 91.
- WIPO, Maximising Intangible Benefits from IPRs Protection to Exploitation of IPRs. Business Strategies based on Franchising and/or Merchandising: IP Issues and Franchising, https://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/ sme/en/wipo_smes_rom_09/wipo_smes_rom_09_p_worksho p10_3-related1.pdf (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- Ranjan P, Bit of Bumpy Ride, https://www.thehindu.com/ opinion/op-ed/Bit-of-a-bumpy-ride/article14378406.ece (accessed on 18 October 2021).
- The Patents Act, 1970, Act No. 39 of 1970, Section11A, cl. 7, proviso (3).
Abstract Views: 29
PDF Views: 8