Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Optimization of Process Parameters for the Machining of High Carbon Martensitic Stainless Steel using Wire EDM
Wire Electro Discharge Machining (WEDM) process parameters need to be optimized when new material is invented or even if some process variables changed Optimization of the WEDM process for machining of AISI 440C stainless steel using brass wire electrode was studied in this paper. In this work, based on Taguchi's (DOE), an orthogonal array L-12 is developed and experiments are conducted with eleven factors each at two levels. The experimental data is recorded for obtaining the response values of MRR and Kerf width. Grey relational analysis is done along with Taguchi to find the optimum set of input process parameters. The prediction of output values can be done using the Fuzzy logic approach. At last, a confirmation test is done to evaluate the exactness of the values between experimental and predicted, found that the prediction accuracy for MRR is about 94.92% and for Kerf Width is about 82.5%.
Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM), Taguchi Technique, Design of Experiments (DOE), Grey Relational Analysis (GRA), Fuzzy Logic, Material Removal Rate (MRR).
- Chiang, K. T., & Chang, F. P. (2006). Optimization of the WEDM process of particle-reinforced material with multiple performance characteristics using grey relational analysis. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 180(1-3), 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.05.008
- Jeevamalar, J., & Ramabalan, S. (2015). A Review on EDM Process Parameters. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 10(51), 840-846.
- Kunieda, M., Lauwers, B., Rajurkar, K. P., & Schumacher, B. M. (2005). Advancing EDM through fundamental insight into the process. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 54(2), 64-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0007-8506(07)60020-1
- Mishra, D., Vignesh, M. K., Raj, B. G., Srungavarapu, P., Devendranath Ramkumar, K., Arivazhagan, N., & Narayanan, S. (2014). Mechanical characterization of Monel 400 and 316 stainless steel weldments. Procedia Engineering, 75, 24-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2013.11.005
- Mohammad, A. B., Siddiquee, A. N., Quadir, G. A., Khan, Z. A., & Saini, V. K. (2012). Optimization of EDM Process Parameters using Taguchi method. International Conference on Applications and Design in Mechanical Engineering (ICADME 2012), Penang, Malaysia.
- Pandey, A., & Singh, S. (2010). Current research trends in variants of Electrical Discharge Machining: A review. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 2(6), 2172-2191.
- Sadek, A.A., & Abass, M.,& Zaghloul, B.,& Elrefaey, A., & Ushio, M. (2000). Investigation of dissimilar joint between Low carbon steel and Monel 400. Transactions of JWRI, 29(1), 21-28.
- Satyanarayana, V. V., Reddy, G. M., & Mohandas, T. (2005). Dissimilar metal friction welding of austenitic-ferritic stainless steels. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 160(2), 128-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.05.017
- Wong, S. V., & Hamouda, A. M. S. (2002). A fuzzy logic based expert system for machinability data-on-demand on the Internet. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 124(1-2), 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00091-2
- Yen, J., & Langari, R. (1999). Fuzzy Logic: Intelligence, Control and Information, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River NJ.
- Zadeh, L. A. (1965). Fuzzy sets. Information and Control, 8(3), 338-353.
Abstract Views: 92
PDF Views: 0