Open Access Subscription Access
Intraoperative Complications during Phacoemulsification in Cataract Surgery at a Tertiary Care Hospital
Background: Intraoperative and postoperative complications do occur in phacoemulsification technique especially with inexperienced individuals. Being a tertiary care centre, we perform a number of phacoemulsification surgeries every year. Aims and Objectives: The present study was planned to assess the intraoperative complications during phacoemulsification in cataract surgery and determine the visual outcomes after phacoemulsification for cataract. Material and Methods: It was a prospective observational study involving patients undergoing cataract surgery, conducted at Department of Ophthalmology, at Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Nashik, Maharashtra. The study was conducted over two years between August 2018 to November 2020 among 186 eyes. Results: Rate of intraoperative complication in our study was 9.1%. Among the complications, difficulty in nucleus emulsification (5.4%) was most common followed by posterior capsular rent (2.2%), CCC-related complication (1.6%). Iris prolapse occurred in 1.1% whereas detachment of Descemet’s membrane, vitreous loss and nucleus drop were noted in one (0.5%) patient each. Conclusions: In our study, rates of intraoperative complication was 9.1% that is comparable to previous reports. Difficulty in nucleus emulsification was most complication
Cataract, Intraoperative Complications, Phacoemulsification
- WHO fact sheet Blindness and vision impairment. https:// www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/blindnessand-visual- impairment
- Khairallah M, Kahloun R, Bourne R, Limburg H, Flaxman SR, Jonas JB, Keeffe J, Leasher J, Naidoo K, Pesudovs K, Price H. Number of people blind or visually impaired by cataract worldwide and in world regions, 1990 to 2010. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2015 Oct 1; 56(11):6762–9. PMid: 26567788. https://doi.org/10.1167/ iovs.15-17201
- Vision 2020: The cataract challenge. Community Eye Health. 2000; 13(34):17– 9.
- Hashemi H, Pakzad R, Yekta A, Aghamirsalim M, Pakbin M, Ramin S, Khabazkhoob M. Global and regional prevalence of age-related cataract: A comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis. Eye. 2020 Aug; 34(8):1357– 70. PMid: 32055021 PMCid: PMC7376226. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41433-020-0806-3
- Vashist P, Talwar B, Gogoi M, Maraini G, Camparini M, Ravindran RD, Murthy GV, Fitzpatrick KE, John N, Chakravarthy U, Ravilla TD, Fletcher AE. Prevalence of cataract in an older population in India: The India study of age-related eye disease. Ophthalmology. 2011 Feb; 118(2):272-8.e1-2. PMid: 20801514 PMCid: PMC3146699.
- Balasubramanian D, Bansal AK, Basti S, Bhatt KS, Murthy JS, Rao CM. The biology of cataract. The Hyderabad cataract research group. Indian J Ophthalmol. 1993; 41:153–71.
- Singh S, Pardhan S, Kulothungan V, Swaminathan G, Ravichandran JS, Ganesan S, Sharma T, Raman R. The prevalence and risk factors for cataract in rural and urban India. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019; 67:477–83. PMid: 30900578 PMCid: PMC6446631. https://doi.org/10.4103/ ijo.IJO_1127_17
- Olson RJ, Braga-Mele R, Chen SH, Miller KM, Pineda R, Tweeten JP, Musch DC. Cataract in the adult eye preferred practice pattern. Ophthalmology. 2017 Feb 1; 124(2):P1–19. PMid: 27745902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Davis G. The evolution of cataract surgery. Mo Med.
- Jan- Feb; 113(1):58–62. PMID: 27039493; PMCID: PMC6139750.
- Ravinder K, Venu Madhav M, Jeevitha G. A clinical study of intra-operative complications of Phacoemulsification and their management. IAIM. 2016; 3(2):104–13.
- Ng DT, Rowe NA, Francis IC, Kappagoda MB, Haylen MJ, Schumacher RS, Alexander SL, Boytell KA, Lee BB.
- Intraoperative complications of 1000 phacoemulsification procedures: A prospective study. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 1998 Oct 1; 24(10):1390–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-3350(98)80235-6
- Ermisş SS, Ozturk F, Inan UU. Comparing the efficacy and safety of phacoemulsification in white mature and other types of senile cataracts. British Journal of Ophthalmology.2003 Nov 1; 87(11):1356–9. PMid: 14609833 PMCid: PMC1771891. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.87.11.1356
- Misra A, Burton RL. Incidence of intraoperative complications during phacoemulsification in vitrectomized and nonvitrectomized eyes: Prospective study. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2005 May 1; 31(5):1011–4.
- PMid: 15975471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2004.10.052
- Rutar T, Porco TC, Naseri A. Risk factors for intraoperative complications in resident-performed phacoemulsification surgery. Ophthalmology. 2009 Mar 1; 116(3):431–6. PMid: 19167084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2008.10.028
- Robin AL, Smith SD, Natchiar G, Ramakrishnan R, Srinivasan M, Raheem R, Hecht W. The initial complication rate of phacoemulsification in India. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 1997 Oct 1;38(11):2331–7.
- Zare M, Javadi MA, Einollahi B, Baradaran-Rafii AR, Feizi S, Kiavash V. Risk factors for posterior capsule rupture and vitreous loss during phacoemulsification. Journal Of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 2009 Oct; 4(4):208.
- Briszi A, Prahs P, Hillenkamp J, Helbig H, Herrmann W.
- Complication rate and risk factors for intraoperative complications in resident-performed phacoemulsification surgery. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and ExperimentalOphthalmology. 2012 Sep 1; 250(9):1315–20. PMid: 22527309. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-012-2003-y
- Carifi G, Miller MH, Pitsas C, Zygoura V, Deshmukh RR, Kopsachilis N, Maurino V. Complications and outcomes of phacoemulsification cataract surgery complicated by anterior capsule tear. American Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Mar 1; 159(3):463–9. PMid: 25461300. https://doi.
- Das S, Kurian M, Negalur N, Srivatsa PR. Converting from phacoemulsification to manual small-incision cataract surgery. Posterior Capsular Rent 2017 (p. 167–176).
- Springer: New Delhi; PMCid: PMC5657158. https://doi.
- Oderinlo O, Hassan AO, Oluyadi FO, Ogunro AO,
- Okonkwo ON, Ulaikere MO, et al. Refractive aim and visual outcome after phacoemulsification: A 2- year review from a Tertiary Private Eye Hospital in Sub-Saharan Africa. Niger J Clin Pract. 2017; 20:147–52. PMid: 28091428. https://doi.
- Yap EY, Heng WJ. Visual outcome and complications after posterior capsule rupture during phacoemulsification surgery. International Ophthalmology. 1999 Jan 1; 23(1):57–60.
- PMid: 11008900. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006462928542
Abstract Views: 86
PDF Views: 27