Open Access Subscription Access
To Study Functional Outcome of Humeral Shaft Fractures Treated by Intramedullary Nailing Versus Dynamic Compression Plating at a Tertiary Health Care Centre
Background: The proportion of humeral shaft fractures being treated conservatively reportedly varies from 33% to 95%. Nonsurgical treatment results in higher incidence of union and fewer complications than open reduction and internal fixation. Aims and Objectives: To study and compare the functional outcome of Dynamic Compression Plating and Interlock Nailing for humeral shaft fractures. Material and Methods: After taking approval of ethics committee of our institute, we studied a total of sixty cases over a span of 36 months – October 2018 to December 2020. Study was carried out on cases of humeral shaft fractures requiring operational intervention in department of orthopaedics of tertiary care centre in Maharashtra. Results: A total of 76.7% cases in plating group had excellent outcome as compared to 56.7% in nailing group. Also poor to fair outcome was noted more in nailing group (13.4% vs 10%). Conclusion: Statistically comparable results have been observed for patients undergoing surgical intervention for humeral shaft fractures among locking plating and intramedullary nailing. Both provide excellent and favourable results in terms of union and function, however a higher rate of excellent results and tendency for union was seen with dynamic compression plating group
Dynamic Compression Plating, Humeral Shaft Fracture, Intramedullary Nailing, Open Reduction Internal Fixation
- Modabber MR, Jupiter JB. Operative management of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus-plate versus nail.
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1998; 347:93104. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-199802000-00012
- Campochiaro G, Baudi P, Loschi R, Serafin F, Catani F. Complex fractures of the humeral shaft treated with antegrade locked intramedullary nail: Clinical experience and long-term results. Acta Bio MedicaAtenei Parmensis. 2015; 86:69-76.
- Abel SM. Biocultural variation of skeletal trauma in contemporary Greeks. University of Florida; 2004
- Chaudhary P, Karn NK, Shrestha BP, Khanal GP, Paneru S, Kalawar RPS. Dynamic compression plate versus
- intramedullary interlocking nail for managemaent of humeral shaft fractures. Nepal Orthopaedic Association Journal. 2014; 3:10-3. https://doi.org/10.3126/noaj. v3i2.9513
- Stern P, Mattingly D, Pomeroy D, Zenni E, Kreig J.
- Intramedullary fixation of humeral shaft fractures. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1984; 66:639-46.
- Buckholz RW, Heckman JD, Rockwood, Green’s. Fractures in Adults. 8th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. p.129:1294
- Ghosh S, Halder TC, Chaudhuri A, Datta S, Dasgupta S, Mitra UK. Comparative study of operative treatment of mid shaft fracture of humerus by locking plate versus intramedullary interlocking nail. Med J DY Patil Univ. 2013; 6:390-4 https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-2870.118282
- Partap Singh, Vikas Gandhi, Deepak Bansal. Comparative study of compression plating vs interlocking nail in fracture shaft of humerus. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research. 2016; 3(11):3385-3388
- Jolly A, Bansal R. Shaft humerus fractures treated with interlocking nails vs. locking compression plates: A comparative study. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2017; 3(2):117-23.
- Singisetti KK, Swarna S, Loknadh L, Ambedkar M.
- Comparative study of management of fracture shaft of humerus by interlocking nailing versus plating. In Orthopaedic Proceedings. The British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2018 Jan. p. 12-12.
- Naga RG, Kolati SR, Bonda Y. Comparative study of functional outcome of dynamic compression plating with interlocking nailing for fracture shaft humerus in adults.
- IAIM. 2019; 6(8):102-116.
- Saroj DK, Nagaich A, Gupta P. Comparative study of results of ORIF with plating vs. CRIF with nailing in fracture midshaft humerus. International Journal of Orthopaedics.
- ; 6(1):01-4. https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2020.
- Rabari YB, Prasad DV, Somanni AM, Kumar P. Comparative study of functional outcome of dynamic compression plating with intramedullary interlocking nailing in close fracture shaft of humerus in adults. Int J Res Orthop.
- ; 3:828-32. https://doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4510.
Abstract Views: 74
PDF Views: 27