Open Access Subscription Access
Fishing Craft and Gears of Lakshadweep Islands-A Review
The traditional fishing craft, gear and methods of Lakshadweep Islands are discussed in this paper along with the present status of the fishery. Lakshadweep Islands are well known for their traditional and indigenous fishing methods and diverse fishery resources. Efficient indigenous fishing techniques have been developed to catch different fishery resources in the lagoon as well as the open ocean waters. The progression of fishing from the traditional methods to adoption of modern and more refined fishing strategies are discussed.
Fishing Craft, Fishing Gears, Lakshadweep Islands.
- Anand VEP. 1990. Fishing methods of Kalpeni Island, Lakshadweep, India. Fishing Chimes 10 (3), 48-53.
- Anon. 1986. Fisheries development in Lakshadweep. Fish Chimes 70-76.
- Anon 2001. Online source: http://lakshadweep.nic.in/depts/fisheries/About %20Us.htm Accessed on 6/3/2012.
- Anon 2005. National Marine Fisheries Census 2005. Union Territories of Anadaman& Nicobar and Lakshadweep Islands. Fishery Survey of India, as part of the 10th Plan Scheme on ‘Strengthening of Database and Information Networking for Fishery Sector’, 177p. Online source: http://www.fsi.gov.in/LATEST-WB-SITE/pdf_files/ statistics/Marine Census -2005. pdf Accessed on 14/05/2012, 2005.
- Anon 2012. Know Lakshadweep. Online source http://lakshadweep.nic.in/KL_knowLakshadweep.html, Accessed on 14/05/2012.
- Anon 2015. Marine Fisheries Census 2010, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Centre for Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Govt. of India, 140.
- Ayyappan S, Diwan AD. 2007. National Fisheries Development Board and fisheries policy, In: Indian Fisheries - A Progressive Outlook. In:Vijayan KK, Jayasankar P, Vijayagopal P, editors.Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute , Cochin, pp 1-11.
- CMFRI. 2015. Annual Report 2014-15. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Cochin, 353.
- Gopakumar G. 1991. The tuna live bait scarcity problem in Lakshadweep and the options for solving it. Marine Fisheries Information Series T&E Series, 109, 1-5.
- Hoon V. 2002. Socio-Economic Assesment& Monitoring of Coral Reefs of Agatti Island - UT of Lakshadweep. Project report, Centre for Action Research on Environment Science & Society, 105.
- Hornell J. 1910. Reports on the results of the fishery cruise along the Malabar Coast and the Laccadive Islands in 1908. Madras Fisheries Bulletin 4, 71-126.
- James PSBR, Pillai PP. 1987. Strategies for tuna fisheries development and management in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone. In: Alagarswami K,AlagarajaK, Muthu MS, Mathew KJ, MenonNG, editors. National Symposium on Research and Development in Marine Fisheries. Mandapam Camp 619-642.
- James PSBR. 1989. Marine living resourcs of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep - An indicative survey with suggestions for development. CMFRI Bull 43, 256 .
- James PSBR, Kumaran M, Pillai GCS, Mohan LR.S. 1989. Development of fisheries in Lakshadweep - Recommendations. In:Suseelan, editors. Marine living resources of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep - An indicative survey with suggestions for development. CMFRI Bull 43, 253-256.
- James PSBR, Gopakumar G, Pillai PP. 1987. Small scale pole and line tuna fishery in Lakshadweep - Present trend, constraints and strategies for future development. Marine Fisheries Information SeriesT&E Series 77, 1-10.
- Jones S. 1958. The tuna live-bait fishery of Minicoy Island. Indian Journal of Fisheries 5(2), 300-307.
- Jones S, Kumaran M 1980. Fishes of the IArchepelago. Nature Conservation and Aquatic Sciences, Trivandrum, 760 .
- Kumar KVA, Pravin P, Khanolkar KS, Baiju MV, Meenakumari B. 2015a. Performance Assessment of Tuna Longline Fishing in Lakshadweep Sea, India. Fishery Technology 52, 223-227.
- Kumar KVA, Pravin P, Meenakumari B, Khanolkar PS, Baiju MV. 2015b. Shark by catch in the experimental tuna longline fishery in Lakshadweep Sea, India. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 31, 301-307.
- Nair KS. 1986. Fisheries development in Lakshadweep. Fishing Chimes 6(2), 20-21.
- Pillai NGK ,Jyothi VM. 2007. Bibliography of Tunas. CMFRI Special Publication 92, 135.
- Pillai NGK, Vivekanandan E, Koya KPS. 2006. Status of fisheries of Lakshadweep. Marine Fisheries Information Series T&E Series 187, 1-7.
- Sivadas M. 2000. Economics of troll line operation during monsoon in Minicoy, Lakshadweep, In: Sathiadas R. Venkateshwaran K, editors. Proceedings of National Conference of Fisheries Economics, Extension and Management, Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Cochin. 92-95.
- Sivadas M. (2003). Economics of tuna pole and line operation in Minicoy. In: Large Marine Ecosystem: Exploration and exploitation for sustainable development and conservation of fish stocks, Minicoy, Lakshadweep, pp. 683-686.
- Sivadas M, Nasser AKV. (2000). Tuna live baits. In: Pillai VN,Menon NG, editors.Marine Fisheries Research and Management, Central Marine Fisheries Research institute, Cochin,pp. 468-478.
Abstract Views: 477
PDF Views: 26