Open Access Subscription Access
Isolation and Characterization of a Compound from the Leaves of Amaranthus spinosus Linn.
By solvent extraction, acid hydrolysis, chromatography followed by crystallization, a compound was isolated from the leaves of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. Infra red spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance studies showed that the isolated compound was chemically 3,4 dihydroxy benzoic acid.
Amaranthus spinosus Linn., Chromatographic Techniques, 3,4 Dihydroxy Benzoic Acid.
- Chopra Col Sir RN and Chopra IC. (1958) Indigenous drugs of India, U.N.Dhar and Sons Private Limted, Kolkata, P. 605
- Das AP and Ghosh Chandra.(2009) Germplasm collection in garden of medicinal plants. University of North Bengal, Siliguri, West Bengal, P. 8.
- Kirtikar KR and Basu BD. (2001) Indian Medicinal Plants, vol. 9, 2nd ed.Oriental Enterprises, Rajpur, Dehradun, Uttaranchal, India, p. 2832-2836
- Hussain Zeashan, Amresh G, Singh Satyawan and Rao Chandana Venkateswara. (2009) Anti diarrheal and anti ulcer effect of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. Pharmaceutical Biology, 47, 932– 39.
- Olufemi BE, Assiak IE, Ayoade GO and Onigemo MA. (2003) Studies on the effects of Amaranthus spinosus leaf extract on the hematology of growing pigs. Afr J Biomed Res. 6, 149-150.
- Tatiya AU, Surana SJ, Khope SD, Gokhale SB and Sutar MP.(2007) Phytochemical investigation and immunomodulatory activity of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. Indian J Pharm Edu Res 44, 337 – 341.
- Assiak IE, Olufemi BE, Ayonde GO and Onigemo MA. (2002) Preliminary studies on the effects of Amaranthus spinosus leaf extract as an Anthelmintic in growing pigs. Trop Vet ; 20,126-129.
- Sangameswaran B and Jayakar B. (2008) Anti-diabetic, anti-hyperlipidemic and spermatogenic effects of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Nat Med 62, 79-82.
- Girija K and Lakshman K. (2011) Anti-hyperlipidemic activity of methanol extracts of three plants of Amaranthus in triton-WR 1339 induced hyperlipidemic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 1, s62-s65
- Gurung Bejoy. (2002) The medicinal plants of Sikkim Himalaya. Pub. Bejoy Gurung, East Sikkim. P. 55.
- Ghosh Debiprasad, Mitra Prasenjit, Ghosh Tanaya, Salhan Ravindernath, Singh Takhelmayum Amumachi, Chakrabarti Amit and Mitra Prasanta Kumar.(2013) Role of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. in experimental peptic ulcer. Bioscience Guardian. 3(1), 13-18.
- Odhava B, Beekrumb S, Akulaa U and Baijnath H.(2007) Preliminary assessment of nutritional value of traditional leafy vegetables in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. J Food Compos Anal, 20,430-435.
- Barminas T, Charles M and Emmanuel D.(1998) Mineral composition of nonconventional leafy vegetables. Plant Foods Hum Nutri, 53, 29-36.
Abstract Views: 381
PDF Views: 99