Open Access Subscription Access
Concentration Dependence of Ultrasonic Attenuation in NaCl-NaCN Mixed Crystal System
The paper presents theoretical temperature dependent mechanical and thermophysical properties of mixed crystal system using ultrasonic analysis. The Coulomb and Born-Mayer potential was applied to evaluate the second and third order elastic constants of the material at the temperature range 100-500 K. The second order elastic constants are used to compute mechanical properties such as bulk modulus, shear modulus and Debye average velocity. Ultrasonic attenuation due to phonon-phonon interaction for longitudinal and shear wave and thermoelastic loss have been evaluated at these temperatures along <111> direction. The obtained results are discussed in correlation with available results on these properties for the chosen material.
US Propagation, Attenuation, Mixed Crystals
- Rawat S. K.,Goyal R.P. and Gupta B.R.K., Dielectric properties of NaCl1-xBrx and KCl1-xBrx Mixed ionic solution, Czech. J. Phys. B 37 (1987) 1288-1295.
- Vorotsos P.A., The formation volume of frenkel defect in silver halides, J. Phys. and Chem. Solids 39 (1978) 513-514.
- Elschner S., Knorr K. and Loidi A., Phase and phase transitions of (NaCl)1-x(NaCN)x, Z. Phys. B 61 (1985) 209-215.
- Cqin L.S., The elastic constants and their temperature and pressure derivatives of AgBr-AgCl mixed crystals, J. Phys. and Chem. Solids 38 (1977) 73.
- Akhiezer A., On the absorption of sound in solids, J. Phys., 1 (1) (1939) 277-287.
- Bommel H.E. and Dransfeld K., Excitation and attenuation of hypersonic waves in quartz, Phys. Rev. 117 (1960) 1245-1252.
- Mason W.P., Physical Acoustics. Academic Press New York, IIIB (1965).
- Born M. and Mayer J.E., Zur Gittertheorie der Ionenkristalle, Z. Phys. 75 (1931) 1-18.
- Brugger K., Generalized Gruneisen parameters in anisotropic Debye modei, Phys. Rev., 137 (1965) A1826A1827.
- Brugger K., Thermodynamic definition of higher order elastic coefficients, Phy. Rev., 133 (1964) A1611-A1612.
- Mori S. and Hiki Y., Calculation of third and fourth order elastic constants of alkali halide crystals, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 45 (1975) 1449-1456.
- Ghate P. B., Third order elastic constants of alkali halide crystals, Phys. Rev., 139 (1965) A1666-A1674.
- Berret J.F., Farkadi A. Boissier M. and Pelous J., Brillouin-scattering study of the orientational glass
- transition in (KCl)1-x(KCN)x mixed crystals, Phys. Rev. B 39 (1989) 13451.
- Lewis J.T., Lehoczky A. and Briscoe C.V., Elastic constants of the alkali halides at 4.2 K, Physical Review. 161 (1967) 877-887.
Abstract Views: 78
PDF Views: 1