Open Access Subscription Access
Estimation of effective Debye temperature of polymeric solutions at 303.15 K based on quasi-crystalline model
Based on the quasi-crystalline model of liquids, effective Debye temperature (θ D )of six binary polymeric solutions has been computed at 303.15 K using ultrasound velocity and density data. The binary systems studied herein are polypropylene glycol (PPG) 400 + ethanol, PPG-400 + 1-propanol, and PPG-400 + 1-butanol, polyethylene glycol (PEG) 200 + methyl acrylate, PEG 200 + ethyl acrylate, and PEG-200 + n-butyl acrylate. To understand the anharmonic and quasi crystalline behaviour of these systems, several other parameters such as excess Debye temperature, diffusion constant, latent heat of melting, Debye frequency, pseudo-Grüneisen parameter (Γ), Bayer's parameter (B/A) and Lennard-Jones potential repulsive term exponent have also been determined. Excess Debye temperature values are fitted with the Redlich-Kister polynomial equation. From the knowledge of R-K coefficients, the physico-chemical characteristics of the binary mixtures are analyzed and discussed in terms of molecular interactions leading to the existence of quasi-crystalline structures in the systems under study. The effect of the variation of the alkyl chain of alkanols on the properties of PPG-400 + n-alkanol binary systems has been investigated. In addition, the effect of alkyl chain variation of acrylates on the properties of PEG-200 + alkyl acrylate binary systems has also been studied. The analysis of the obtained results points out that the effective Debye temperature and other related parameters can be successfully estimated for these binary polymeric solutions using quasi-crystalline model. The present investigation provides significant information about the existence of quasi crystalline structures and the related structural changes occurring in these polymer solutions with variation of the type and concentration of a solute.
Effective Debye Temperature, Polymers, Quasi-Crystalline State, Excess Parameters, Binary Polymer Solutions.
- Hughe, D. J., Palevsky H., Kley W. and Tunkelo E., Atomic motions in water by scattering of cold neutrons, Phys. Rev., 119(3), (1960) 872.
- Kor S. K. and Tripathi D. N., Temperature and pressure dependence of effective Debye temperature in associated liquids based on quasi crystalline model, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 36(2), (1974) 552-554.
- Pandey J. D., Sanguri V., Mishra R. K. and Singh A. K., Acoustic method for the estimation of effective Debye temperature of binary and ternary liquid mixtures, J. Pure Appl. Ultrason., 26(1), (2004) 18-29.
- Nori T. S., Srinivasu C., and Fakruddin Babavali S., Computational study of debye temperature for liquid mixtures-thermal energy variations, Phys. Chem. Res., 8(1), (2020) 167-173.
- Vyas V., Ultrasonic investigation of effective Debye temperature in multicomponent liquid systems at 298.15 K, Phys. Chem. Liq., 42(3), (2004) 229-36.
- Shukla R. K., Shukla S. K., Pandey V. K. and Awasthi P., Sound velocity, effective Debye temperature and pseudo-Grüneisen parameters of Pb-Sn mixtures at elevated temperatures, Phys. Chem. Liq., 45(2), (2007) 169-180.
- Gopal A. M., Raj A. M. and Poongodi J., Estimation of Debye temperature for binary liquid mixtures using ultrasonic techniques, J. Pure Appl. Ultrason., 41, (2019) 90-93.
- Pandey J. D., Shukla A. K., Singh N. and Sanguri V., Estimation of thermodynamic properties of ionic liquids, J. Mol. Liq., 315, (2020) 113585.
- Shrivastava S. C., Sanguri V., Srivastava S. and Pandey J. D., Effective Debye temperature of ionic liquids and their binary mixtures, J. Mol. Liq. 347, (2022) 118382.
- Kandpal C., Singh, A.K., Dey R., Singh V.K. and Singh D., Estimation of effective Debye temperature of multicomponent liquid mixtures at 298.15 K, J. Pure Appl. Ultrason. 41, (2019) 19-23.
- Sirohi A., Dogra A., Singh D. P. and Upmanyu A., Quasi-Crystalline behavior of imidazolium based pure ionic liquids over the extended pressure range, ECS Trans., 107, (2022) 8583.
- Dubois J.M., New prospects from potential applications of quasi crystalline materials, Mater. Sci. Eng. A., 294, (2000) 4-9.
- Huttunen-Saarivirta E., Microstructure, fabrication and properties of quasi crystalline Al-Cu-Fe alloys: a review, J. Alloys Compd., 363, (2004) 154-78.
- Deb P. K., Kokaz S. F., Abed S. N., Paradkar A. and Tekade R. K., Pharmaceutical and biomedical applications of polymers, Basic fundamentals of drug delivery. Academic Press New York (2019) 203-267.
- Sannaningannavar F.M, Navati B.S and Ayachit N.H., Studies on thermo-acoustic parameters of poly (ethylene glycol)-400 at different temperatures, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 112, (2013) 1573-1578.
- Dhiman M., Singh K., Kaushal J., Upmanyu, A. and Singh D. P., Ultrasonic study of molecular interactions in polymeric solution of polypropylene glycol-400 and ethanol at 303 K, Acta Acust united Ac. 105, (2019) 743-752.
- Raju K., Karpagavalli K. and Krishnamurthi P., Ultrasonic studies of molecular interactions in the solutions of poly (propylene glycol) 400 in N-alkanols. Euro. J. Appl. Eng. Sci. Res., 1, (2012) 216-219.
- Upmanyu A., Dhiman M., Singh D. P. and Kumar H., Thermo-viscous investigations of molecular interactions for the binary mixtures of polyethylene glycol-400 and polyethylene glycol-600 with dimethyl sulfoxide and water at different temperatures, J. Mol. Liq., 334, (2021) 115939.
- Ottani S., Vitalini D., Comelli F. and Castellari C., Densities, viscosities, and refractive indices of poly (ethylene glycol) 200 and 400+ cyclic ethers at 303.15 K, J. Chem. Eng. Data., 47, (2002) 1197-1204.
- Han, F., Zhang J., Chen G. and Wei X., Density, viscosity, and excess properties for aqueous poly (ethylene glycol) solutions from (298.15 to 323.15) K, J. Chem. Eng. Data., 53, (2008) 2598-2601.
- Chaudhary N. and Nain A. K., Densities, speeds of sound, refractive indices, excess and partial molar properties of polyethylene glycol 200+ methyl acrylate or ethyl acrylate or n-butyl acrylate binary mixtures at temperatures from 293.15 to 318.15 K, J. Mol. Liq., 271, (2018) 501-13.
- Duc N. B., Hieu H. K., Hanh P. T., Hai T. T., Tuyen, N. V. and Ha, T. T., Investigation of melting point, Debye frequency and temperature of iron at high pressure, Eur. Phys. J. B., 93, (2020) 1-7.
- Upmanyu A. and Singh D.P., Ultrasonic studies of molecular Interactions in Polymer Solution of the polyisobutylene (PIB) and benzene, Acta Acust united Ac., 100, (2014) 434-439.
- Dash A. K. and Paikaray R., Acoustical study on ternary mixture of dimethyl acetamide (DMAC) in diethyl ether and isobutyl methyl ketone at different frequencies, Phys. Chem. Liq., 51, (2013) 749-763.
- Sastry S. S., Babu S., Vishwam T. and Tiong H.S., Excess parameters for binary mixtures of alkyl benzoates with 2-propanol at different temperatures, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 116, (2014) 923-935.
- Das D., Messaâdi A., Barhoumi Z. and Ouerfelli N., The relative reduced Redlich-Kister equations for correlating excess properties of N, N-dimethylacetamide + water binary mixtures at temperatures from 298.15 K to 318.15 K, J. Solution Chem. 41, (2012) 1555-1574.
- Gayathri A., Venugopal T. and Venkatramanan K., Redlich-Kister coefficients on the analysis of physico-chemical characteristics of functional polymers, Mater. Today: Proc., 17, (2019) 2083-2087.
Abstract Views: 18
PDF Views: 0