Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Hurdle to Implementation of ABC in Automotive engineering MSME Units in Gujarat
There has been much debate over the best method of accounting for the costs incurred by India's manufacturing sector, particularly the sectors devoted to the mechanical processing of goods. However, it is widely accepted that many small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the Automotive Engineering industry continue to use outdated costing methods because they lack access to modern resources and training. In their review of the existing literature, the authors identified a need for further investigation into the challenges faced by the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in India's Automotive Engineering Industry when adopting the ABC costing approach. The ubiquity of SMEs, especially those involved in the automotive engineering industry, gives this study great importance for offering practical advice.
ABC, Costing, SME, Industry.
- Abdel‐Kader, M. and Luther, R. (2006). Management accounting practices in the British food and drinks industry. British Food Journal, 108(5), pp.336-357.
- Abernethy, M., Chua, W., Luckett, P. and Selto, F. (1999). Research in managerial accounting: Learning from others' experiences. Accounting and Finance, 39(1), pp.1-27.
- Alamdari, H. (2005). ―Investigate the Use of Activity Based Costing in Small and Medium Enterprises‖. International Journal of Review in Life Sciences 5(5), 2015817-829.
- Aydın Gersil and Cevdet Kayal (2016) A Comparative Analysis of Normal Costing Method with Full Costing and Variable Costing in Internal Reporting. International Journal of Management, 7(3), 2016, pp. 79–92.
- Berliner C., Brimson, J. Cost Management for Today‘s Advanced Manufacturing. The CAM I Conceptual Design, (1988). Harvard Business School Press,
- Colwyn Jones, T. and Dugdale, D. (2002). The ABC bandwagon and the juggernaut of modernity. Accounting, Organisations and Society, 27(1-2), pp.121-163.
- Fei, Z. and Isa, C. (2010). Factors Influencing Activity-Based Costing Success: A Research Framework. International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance, 1(2), pp.144-150.
- Fleischman, R. and Tyson, T. (1998). The Evolution of Standard Costing in the U.K. and U.S.: From Decision Making to Control. Abacus, 34(1), pp.92-119.
- Gerdin, J. (2005). Management accounting system design in manufacturing departments: an empirical investigation using a multiple contingencies approach. Accounting, Organisations and Society, 30(2), pp.99-126.
- Ghosh, B. and Chan, Y. (1997). Management accounting in Singapore ‐place?. Managerial Auditing Journal, 12(1), pp.16-18.
- Gunasekaran, A., Marri, H. and Yusuf, Y. (1999). Application of activity‐based costing: some case experiences. Managerial Auditing Journal, 14(6), pp.286- 293.
- Hughes A (2005) ABC/ABM- activity-based costing and activity-based management: A profitability model for SME‘s manufacturing clothing and textiles in the U.K. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 9(1), 8.
- Hughes S and Gjerde K. (2003). Do different cost systems make a difference?. Management Accounting Quarterly 5(1), 22.
- Ittner and Larcker (2001). "Assessing Empirical Research in Managerial Accounting: A Value-Based Management Perspective" SSRN Electronic Journal 32(1), 349-410.
- Jin,Y & Hong.P (2007). ―Coordinating global inter-firm product development. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 20(5), 544.
- John C. Lere. (2000). activity-based costing is a powerful tool for pricing—the Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 15(1).
- Joseph & Samuel (2017), "Antecedents of Cost Management and Operational Dimensions: A Prospective Study Among select MSMEs in Coimbatore District, Tamil Nadu‖ Asian Journal of Research in Business Economics and Management 7(4), 14-24.
- Maleah. R & Ibrahim D. (2007). Factors influencing activity-based costing adoption in the manufacturing industry. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 4(2), 113-148.
- Management Accounting Practices in Nigerian Companies. (2001). [online] Available at: https://www.scribd.com/document/43873767/Preview [Accessed 7 May 2018].
- Mario Joao Cardoso Vieira Machado. (2012), Activity Based Costing Knowledge: Empirical study on small and medium-sized enterprises, Contemporary Journal of Accounting, 9(18) pg167-186.
- Mohd I. Elnaeim, Mohd Salman Leong, and M S Somia Alfatih, (2017) Life Cycle Costing In Engineering Asset Management: A Study In The Steel Fabrication Industry, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 8(6), 2017, pp. 348-359.
- Owen P. Hall, Jr. Charles J.McPeak, (2011) ―Are SMEs ready for ABC?‖ Journal of Accounting and Finance 11(4), 11-22.
- Siu Y. Chan and Dominica Suk-Yee lee. (2003). An empirical investigation of symptoms of obsolete costing systems and overhead cost structure‖, Managerial Auditing, 18(2).
- Walker, C. and L‘abbe Wu, N. (2000). Systematic approach to activity-based costing of the production planning activity in the book manufacturing industry. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 20(1), pp.103-115.
- Wien Hsien Tsai in. (1998). Quality cost management under Activity Based Costing. International journal of quality and reliability management, 15(7).
Abstract Views: 145
PDF Views: 0