Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of weft yarn laying on tensile properties of weft inserted knitted fabrics
To investigate whether the combination of tuck and miss stitches can be used as an alternative method to produce weft-inserted fabrics, in cases where the weft knitting machine is not equipped with a weft insertion system, straight yarns with various densities and arrangements have beeninserted in the course direction of rib weft knitted fabrics. The results of tensile tests in the course and wale directions denote that the use of straight yarns increases the tensile strength and tensile strain of the fabric in both directions, while the elastic modulus increases in the course direction. Furthermore, increasing the straight yarn density leads to an increase in the tensile strength and elastic modulus and a decrease in the tensile strain in both directions. Eventually, since the weft yarn arrangement has no significant effect on the fabric tensile strength and elastic modulus, this method can beused as an alternative method to produce weft-inserted fabrics.
Double jersey fabric, Miss stitch, Polyester, Rib structure, Tensile properties, Tuck stitch, Weft insertion, Weft-knitted fabric.
- Milwich M, in Textiles, Polymers and Composites for Buildings, edited by G Pohl (Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge), 2010.
- Xu Y, Yuan X & Wang N, Fibers Polym, 14(2013) 1006.
- AlišauskienėD, MikučionienėD & MilašiūtėL, Fibres Text East Eur, 21(2013) 74.
- Leong K H, Ramakrishna S, Huang Z M & Bibo G A, Compos Part A: Appl Sci Manuf, 31 (2000) 197.
- Cebulla H, Diestel O & Offennann P, Autex Res J, 2(2002) 8.
- Luo Y & Verpoest I, Compos Part A: Appl Sci Manuf,33 (2002) 197.
- Gommers B, Verpoest I & Van Houtte P, Compos Part A: Appl Sci Manuf,29 (1998) 1579.
- MarCom Working Group, The Application of Geosynthetics in Waterfront Areas (PIANC Report), 2011, 15.
- Anand S, Indian J Fibre Text Res, 33 (2008) 339.
- Balea L, Dusserre G & Bernhart G, Compos Part B:Eng, 56(2014) 20.
- Qi Y, Li J & Liu L, Mater Des, 54 (2014) 678.
- Zhao C, Song G & Liu H, Adv Mater Res, 331 (2011) 89.
Abstract Views: 11
PDF Views: 4