Open Access Subscription Access
Bio-efficacy of microbial insecticides against cabbage butterfly, Pieris brassicae (Lepidoptera: Pieridae) in NEH region of India .
The field experiments were conducted to study the bio-efficacy of microbial insecticides against Pieris brassicae Linnaeus in cabbage crop var. “Green Hero” in NEH region of India. The pooled data of two years indicated that Metarhizium anisopliae @ 1500 g/ha proved the most effective treatment in reducing the incidence of P. brassicae with a minimum mean leaf damage of 49.93 per cent as against 67.57 per cent in untreated control followed by Beauveria bassiana 10 SC @ 1000 ml ha-1 and M. anisopliae @ 1000 g ha-1 with a record of lower mean leaf damage of 51.68 and 51.85 per cent, respectively. The treatment M. anisopliae @ 1500 g ha-1 recorded maximum cabbage yield of 17.09 t ha-1 , followed by B. bassiana 10 SC @ 1000 ml ha-1 treated plots (15.19 t ha-1) and M. anisopliae @ 1000 g ha-1 (15.02 t ha-1). The minimum yield (12.84 t ha-1) was obtained from the plots treated with Dichlorvos 76 SL @ 500 ml with an increased yield of 3.09 t ha-1 over control, but, did not differ significantly from rest of the treatments. The extent of avoidable yield loss due to the incidence of P. brassicae was estimated to be 45.98 per cent in untreated control which was reduced to 9.41-28.86 per cent in treated plots. Minimum avoidable yield loss being recorded in B. bassiana 10 SC @ 1000 ml ha-1 and maximum avoidable yield loss in Dichlorvos 76 SL @ 500 ml ha-1 treatments. The net profit of the treatments varied from Rs. 28,350.00 (Dichlorvos 76 SL @ 500 ml ha-1) to Rs. 77,150.00 (M. anisopliae @ 1500 gm ha1 ) with the cost-benefit ratio of 1:11.12 to 1:13.19 in the treatments. Beauveria bassiana 10 SC @ 1000 ml ha-1 gave the highest benefit-cost ratio of 1:13.19, while the lowest was in Dichlorvos 76 SL @ 500 ml ha-1 with 1:11.12 .
Bio-efficacy, cabbage butterfly, microbial control, Pieris brassicae .
- Atcha AC. 1998. The potential of Beauveria bassiana strains 5653 and 5654 and Metarhizium anisopliae strain 180 and of the virus Plxy GV-Nya 01 to control the diamondback moth Plutella xylostella (L.) on cabbage. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Lome, Togo.
- Devjani P, Singh TK. 2001. Efficacy of certain insecticides against insect pests of cauliflower in Manipur. J Agric Sci Soc of Northeast India, 14(1): 51-56.
- Godonou B, James C, Atcha- Ahowe S, Kooyman A, Ahanchede S, Korie. 2008. Potential of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae isolates from Benin to control Plutella xylostella L. (Lepidoptera: Plutellidae). Crop Protec, 28(3): 220-224. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.cropro.2008.10.009
- Ibrahim YB, Low W. 1993. Potential of mass production and field efficacy of isolates of the entomopathogenic fungi Beauveria bassiana and Paecilomyces fumosoroseus against Plutella xylostella. Inte J Pest Mgt, 39(10): 288292. https://doi.org/10.1080/09670879309371807
- Lal OP, Sinha SR, Srivastava YN. 2002. Evaluation of some promising insecticides against mustard aphid, Lipaphis erysimi Kalt. on cabbage under field condition. J Entomol Res, 26(2): 169-173.
- Pawar CS, Pal SK, Das VSK, Singh KN. 1994. Insecticide evaluation for the management of Helicoverpa armigera on chickpea. Pestol, 17(3): 30-31.
- Sabbour MM, Sahab ZAF. 2005. Efficacy of some microbial control agents against cabbage pests in Egypt. Pakistan J Biol Sci, 8(10): 1351-1356.
- https://doi.org/10.3923/ pjbs.2005.1351.1356 Sachan JN, Gangwar SK. 1980. Vertical distribution of important pests of cole crops in Meghalaya as influenced by the environmental factors. Indian J Ent, 42(3): 414-421.
- Singh TVK, Raman Goud T, Reddy DDR. 1993. Control of Diamondback moth, Plutella xylostella L. with insecticides on cabbage. Pestol, 17(5): 12-13.
- Sonkar UB, Desai BD. 1998. Bio-efficacy of some insecticides against Lipaphis erysimi Kalt. on mustard and their toxicity to ladybird beetles. Shashpa, 5(2): 233-234.
- Vodouhe S. 1999. Potential of entomopathogen Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae for the control of Plutella xylostella L. (Lepidoptera : Plutellidae): test of efficacy and persistence. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Abomey-Calavi.
- Yawalkar KS. 1980. Vegetable crops in India. Eds.-11 pp. 36-46.
- Zhao JG, Heipeifang G, Suping, Wu Huizhen, Qu Jixing, Jain H. 2003. Control of Lepidopterous insect pests on vegetable by Metarhizium anisopliae as well as its effect on robust seedlings. Rev. Agric Entomol, 91(3): 31.
Abstract Views: 32
PDF Views: 11