Open Access Subscription Access
Pathogenicity of Nucleopolyhedrovirus (NPV) against Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) .
The management of Spodoptera litura by entomopathogenic Nucleopolyhedrosis Viruses (NPVs) is one of the eco-friendly methods. The present study was aimed to evaluate Nucleopolyhedrosis Virus (NPV) against S. litura and its potential as a bio-pesticide. The Occlusion Bodies (OBs) of S. litura nucleopolyhedrosis virus was isolated from infected larvae collected from cabbage field. Pathogenicity studies evaluated three NPV suspensions viz. SpltNPV-native, SpltNPV-commercial and SpltNPV-NIPHM against second and fourth instar larvae of S. litura recorded maximum mortality at 1×109 OBs/ml. The LC50 values of the SpltNPV-native, SpltNPV-commercial and SpltNPV-NIPHM suspensions against second instar larvae were 0.584, 0.540, 0.625 OBs/mm2 , respectively, which increased to 0.696, 0.620, 0.756 OBs/mm2 against the fourth instar larvae. The LT50 at 1×109 OBs/ml was found to increase from 146.33, 137.51 and 155.88 h for SpltNPV-native, SpltNPV-commercial and SpltNPV-NIPHM suspension, respectively, against the second instar larvae to 178.51, 162.07 and 187.67 h, respectively, against the fourth instar larvae. The cumulative per cent mortality, LC50 and LT50 suggested that the second instar larvae were more susceptible and easier to kill than the fourth instar larvae.
: LC50, LT50, mortality, Nucleopolyhedrosis virus, OBs, Spodoptera litura .
- Ahmad JN, Mushtaq R, Ahmad SJN, Maqsood S, Ahuja I, Bones AM. 2018. Molecular identification and pathological characteristics of NPV isolated from Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) in Pakistan. Pak J Zool, 50: 2229-2237. https://doi.org/10.17582/journal. pjz/2018.50.6.2229.2237
- Ahmad M, Ghaffar A, Rafiq M. 2013. Host plants of leaf worm, Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Pakistan. Asian J Agric Biol, 1: 23-28.
- Ahmed MAI, Sobhy AST, Farouk AA, Samir HMM. 2015. The effects of selected host plants on the efficacy of spinosad pesticide on cotton leafworm, Spodoptera littoralis (Boisd.) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) under laboratory conditions. Adv Environ Bio, 19: 372-375.
- Ali G, van der Werf W, Vlak JM. 2018. Biological and genetic characterization of a Pakistani isolate of Spodoptera litura nucleopolyhedrovirus. Biocontrol Sci Tech, 28(1): 20-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/09583157.2017.1409339
- Ayyub MB, Nawaz A, Gogi MD, Arif MJ, Amrao L, Ahmad JN. 2020. Comparitive toxicity assessment of nuclear polyhedrosis virus and spinosad against Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) in semi field conditions. Pak J Agric Sci, 57(2): 445-450.
- Bhutia KC, Chakravarthy AK, Doddabasappa B, Narabenchi GB, Lingaraj VK. 2012. Evaluation and production of improved formulation of nucleopolyhedrosis virus of Spodoptera litura. Bull Insectology, 65(2): 247-256.
- Bussola JJ, Russel LD. 1999. Electron microscopy: principles and techniques for biologists. Frankfurt, GE: Jones and Bertotlett.
- El Sayed YA, Sayed S, Magdy A and Elmenofy W. 2022. Detection, characterization and virulence analysis
- of nucleopolyhedrovirus isolated from the cotton leafworm, Spodoptera littoralis (Boisd.) (Lepidoptera:
- Noctuidae). Egyptian J Biol Pest Ctrl, 32: 74 https://doi.org/10.1186/s41938-022-00570-2.
- Evans H, Shapiro M. 1997. Viruses. In: Lacey L A (Ed.). Manual of Techniques in Insect Pathology. London, UK.https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012432555-5/50005-1
- Gothama AA, Sikorowski PP, Lawrence GW. 1995. Interactive effects of Steinernema carpocapsae and Spodoptera exigua nuclear polyhedrosis virus on Spodoptera exigua larvae. J Invertebr Pathol, 66(3): 270-276. https://doi.org/10.1006/jipa.1995.1100
- Khattab M. 2013. Isolation of Nucleopolyhedrovirus (NPV) from the beet armyworm Spodopter aexigua (Hubner) (SpexNPV). Int J Environ Sci Engg, 4: 75-83.
- Kumar CS, Rao GR, Sireesha K, Kumar PL. 2011. Isolation and characterization of baculoviruses from three major lepidopteran pests in the semi-arid tropics of India. Indian J Virol, 22(1): 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13337011-0029-0 PMid:23637499 PMCid:PMC3550719
- Lucein KNG, Katuso T, Yositiskaand S, Masayuki N. 2009.Further Studies on biological activity and Identification of Nucleopolyhedroviruses Isolated from Spodoptera litura in Japan. South Specific Studies, 30:1.
- Sarwar G, Maan NA, Ayub MA, Shahid MR, Malik MA, Farooq M. 2021. Evaluation of indigenous the nucleopolyhedrovirus (NPV) of Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in combination with chlorantraniliprole against Spodoptera species. Egypt J Biol Pest Ctrl, 31(1): 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41938-021-00403-8
- Singh H, Joshi N. 2020. Management of the aphid, Myzus persicae (Sulzer) and the whitefly, Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius), using biorational on capsicum under protected cultivation in India. Egypt J Biol Pest Ctrl, 30: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41938-020-00266-5
- Susurluk H, Toprak U, Gurkan MO. 2013. Concentration of sodium dodecyl sulfate used in occlusion body extraction affects Spodoptera littoralis nucleopolyhedrovirus biological activity. Turk J Biol, 37(2): 171-175 https://doi.org/10.3906/biy-1204-50
- Tenywa MM, Nyamwaro SO, Kalibwani R, Mogabo J, Buruchara R, Fatunbi AO. 2018. Innovation opportunities in sorghum production in Uganda. FARA Res Rep, 18(2): 20.
- Tuan SJ, Lee CC, Chi H. 2014. Population and damage projection of Spodoptera litura (F.) on peanuts (Arachis hypogaea L.) under different conditions using the agestage, two-sex life table. Pest Manag Sci, 70(5): 805-813. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.3618 PMid:23893943
- Wigley PJ (1976) The epizootiology of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus disease of the winter moth, Operophtera burmata L. at Wistman’s Wood, Dartmoor. Dissertation, University of Oxford.
- Wilson K, Cotter SC, Reeson AF, Pell JK. 2001. Melanism and disease resistance in insects. Ecology letters, 4(6): 637649. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1461-0248.2001.00279.x
- Xiao JJ, Fu YY, Ye Z, Liu YY, Shi YH, Liao M, Cao HQ. 2019. Analysis of the pesticide behaviour in Chaenomelis speciosa and the role of digestive enzyme in vitro oral bio accessibility. Chemosphere, 231: 538-545.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2019.05.172 PMid:31151014
- Yasin M, Qazi MS, Wakil W, Qayyum MA. 2020. Evaluation of Nuclear Polyhedrosis Virus (NPV) and Emamectin Benzoate against Spodoptera litura (F.)(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Egypt J Biol Pest Ctrl, 30(1): 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41938-020-00271-8
- Yinghua, S, Yan D, Jin C, Jiaxi W, Jianwu W. 2017. Responses of the cutworm Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) to two Bt corn hybrids expressing Cry1Ab. Scientific Rep, 7: 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1038/ srep41577 PMid:28186125 PMCid:PMC5301207
- Zhang S, Wu F, Li Z, Lu Z, Zhang X, Zhang Q, Liu X. 2015. Effects of Nucleopolyhedrovirus infection on the
- development of Helicoverpa armigera (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and expression of its 20-hydroxyecdysoneand juvenile hormone-related genes. Fla Entomol, 98(2): 682-689. https://doi.org/10.1653/024.098.0243 .
Abstract Views: 33
PDF Views: 10