Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Evaluating the Efficacy of Capparis Spinosa Total Flavonoids to Control Bird Lice (Menacanthus Stramineus)
The present study included an in-vitro and in-vivo insecticidal investigation for one of wild Iraqi plant Capparis spinosa total flavonids on locally chicken lice (Menacanthus stramineus). Extraction of total flavonoids from 115g of fresh plant samples by reflex extraction with 600ml distilled water with (10% v/ v) HCl, for 8 hours continuously and the aglycon part was obtained with ethyl acetate. The acetate layer was dried and the residue was weighted and subjected for qualitative and quantitative analysis. Three flavonoids concentrations of Capparis spinosa total Flavonoid (5,3 and 1) mg/ml in 100ml distilled water to treat a collected sample of Bird Lice (Menacanthus stramineus) in vitro and in vivo at different life stages in comparison to a traditional anti lice drug treatment permethrin (0.5mg/ml) as positive control. Distilled water application was considered as negative control. Results of present study showed that the plant was rich with different types of flavonoids and the effect of flavonoid extracts of the Capparis spinosa plant in the decimation of the different stage of chicken body lice, as the concentration factor had non-significant effect on the killing of adult and a significant effect on the killing of eggs/nymph, and this effect increased with the increase in the concentrations of the extract.
Capparis spinosa, insecticidal, chicken lice, total flavonoid.
- Askale G. In vitro effecacy of methanolic extracts of Vernonia amygdalina, Croton macrostachyus, Ricinus communis and petroleum ether extract of Millettia ferruginea against Bovicola ovis and Rhipicephalus (boophilus) decoloratus (Doctoral dissertation, MS thesis], Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia).
- Al-Snafi AE. Traditional uses of Iraqi medicinal plants. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy. 2018;8(8): 32-96.
- Iwashina T. The structure and distribution of the flavonoids in plants. Journal of Plant Research. 2000 Sep 1;113(3): 287.
- Tlili N, Khaldi A, Triki S, Munné-Bosch S. Phenolic compounds and vitamin antioxidants of caper (Capparis spinosa). Plant foods for human nutrition. 2010 Sep;65(3): 260-5.
- Dekanski D, Ristić SS, Radonjic NV, Petronijevic ND, Dekanski A, Mitrovic DM. Olive leaf extract modulates cold restraint stress-induced oxidative changes in rat liver. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society. 2011;76(9): 1207-18.
- Axtell RC, Arends JJ. Ecology and management of arthropod pests of poultry. Annual review of entomology. 1990 Jan; 35(1):101-26.
- Dubey R, Rajhans S, Mankad AU. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening, Quantitative Estimation of Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Content of Jatropha gossypiifolia (L.). Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2020 Apr 1;12(2): 83-6.
- Harborne JB. Introduction to ecological biochemistry. Gulf Professional Publishing; 1993.
- Medić-Šarić M, Rastija V, Bojić M, Maleš Ž. From functional food to medicinal product: systematic approach in analysis of polyphenolics from propolis and wine. Nutrition Journal. 2009 Dec; 8(1): 1-8.
- Wang CC, Chang SC, Inbaraj BS, Chen BH. Isolation of carotenoids, flavonoids and polysaccharides from Lycium barbarum L. and evaluation of antioxidant activity. Food chemistry. 2010 May 1; 120(1): 184-92.
- Fares J. K., The effect of natural substances such as vinegar and eucalyptus oil on chicken lice as an alternative treatment and compared to carbamate. Journal of University of Babylon, (2014). 22 (3).
- Kumar A, Singh S, Mahour K, Vihan VS. In vitro and in vivo acaricidal activity of some indigenous plants under organized and farmer flock. Pharmacology. 2011; 3: 361-9.
- Abbott WS. A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide. J. econ. Entomol. 1925 Apr 1; 18(2): 265-7.
- SAS J. Statistical Analysis System, v. 10.0. 2. Cary, North Carolina. USA. 2012.
- Cardona AF, Wilson SE. Skin and soft-tissue infections: a critical review and the role of telavancin in their treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2015 Sep 15;61(suppl_2): S69-78.
- Benzidane N, Aichour R, Guettaf S, Laadel N, Khennouf S, Baghiani A, Arrar L. Chemical investigation, the antibacterial and antifungal activity of different parts of Capparis spinosa extracts. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2020 Sep 15;10(5):118-25.
- Sheela D, Cheenickal M. Total phenolics and flavonoids among the selected species of Syzygium, Gaertn. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2017 Apr 1;9(2):101-4.
- Yang RY, Lin S, Kuo G. Content and distribution of flavonoids among 91 edible plant species. Asia Pacific journal of clinical nutrition. 2008 Mar 2;17.
- Huseini HF, Hasani-Rnjbar S, Nayebi N, Heshmat R, Sigaroodi FK, Ahvazi M, Alaei BA, Kianbakht S. Capparis spinosa L. (Caper) fruit extract in treatment of type 2 diabetic patients: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Complementary therapies in medicine. 2013 Oct 1;21(5):447-52.
- Wojdyło A, Nowicka P, Grimalt M, Legua P, Almansa MS, Amorós A, Carbonell-Barrachina ÁA, Hernández F. Polyphenol compounds and biological activity of caper (Capparis spinosa L.) flowers buds. Plants. 2019 Dec;8(12):539.
- Mierziak J, Kostyn K, Kulma A. Flavonoids as important molecules of plant interactions with the environment. Molecules. 2014 Oct;19(10):16240-65.
- Praveena A, Sanjayan KP. A bioinformatics approach reveals the insecticidal property of Morinda tinctoria Roxb. against the cotton bollworm Helicoverpa armigera. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016 Nov 1;9(11):1829.
- Sangale MB. Structural modification of some flavonoids to enhance their larvicidal activity (Doctoral dissertation, University of Nairobi, Kenya).
- Broglio-Micheletti SM, Valente EC, Souza LA, Dias ND, Araújo AM. Plant extracts in control of Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus (Canestrini, 1887) (Acari: Ixodidae) in laboratory. Revista Brasileira de Parasitologia Veterinária. 2009 Dec;18(4):44-8.
- Shukla A, Kaur A, Shukla RK. Comparative Evaluation of Antioxidant capacity, Total flavonoid and Phenolic content of Ehretia acuminata R. Br. fruit. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Apr 1;12(4):1811-6.
- Salunke BK, Kotkar HM, Mendki PS, Upasani SM, Maheshwari VL. Efficacy of flavonoids in controlling Callosobruchus chinensis (L.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae), a post-harvest pest of grain legumes. Crop Protection. 2005 Oct 1;24(10):888-93.
- Killedar SG, Devekar BP. Phytochemical Screening and Anti-insect activity of Achras sapota Seeds Linn. Sp. Pl. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010 Dec 28;3(4):1238-40.
- Ramesh SA, Christopher GJ, Thankamani V. Comparative Study on Antioxidant Property of Terminalia arjuna Bark and Corewood. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013 Sep 1;6(9):996.
- Sartinah A, Ihsan S, Kasmawati H, Andriyani R, Adjeng AN, Arba M. Radical scavenging assay and determination Flavonoid and Phenolic total of extract and Fractions of Raghu bark (Dracontomelon dao (Blanco) Merr). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(5):2335-9.
- Kotkar HM, Mendki PS, Sadan SV, Jha SR, Upasani SM, Maheshwari VL. Antimicrobial and pesticidal activity of partially purified flavonoids of Annona squamosa. Pest Management Science: formerly Pesticide Science. 2002 Jan;58(1):33-7.
- Gupta G, Dharma K, Kumar NR. Insecticidal effects of aqueous extracts of wild pomegranate peel and seed (Punica granatum L.) against rose aphids, Macrosiphum rosaeformis. Journal of Applied and Natural Science. 2017 Sep 1;9(3):1397-405.
- Punasiya R, Pillai S. In vitro, antioxidant activity of various leaves extracts of Hibiscus syriacus L. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 2015 Mar 28;7(1):18-24.
- Gehlot K, Lal VK, Jha S. Total Phenolic content, flavonoid content and In vitro antioxidant activities of Flemingia species (Flemingia chappar, Flemingia macrophylla and Flemingia strobilifera). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013 May 28;6(5):516-23.
- Madhvi SK, Sharma M, Iqbal J, Younis M, Sheikh R. Phytochemical analysis, Total Flavonoid, Phenolic contents and Antioxidant activity of extracts from the Leaves of Rhododendron arboreum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Apr 30;13(4):1701-6.
Abstract Views: 216
PDF Views: 0