Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Formulation, Development and Release Enhancement of Sustained Release Tablet of Antidiabetic Drug Glipizide by the Use of Natural Polymers
Background: Modification in sustained release system is a newly developed area that has shown good control over the administration of drug by maintaining systemic concentrations. Objective: The study was conducted to formulate a sustained release tablet of antidiabetic drug, glipizide, with improvement in patient’s compliance. Methods: Sustained release tablet of glipizide was prepared by using different concentration of natural polymers like guar gum, chitosan and xanthan gum as a release modifier by wet granulation method. The tablets had been analyzed by chemical and physical parameters. Drug and polymer interactions had been studied by FT-IR and in vitro drug release had been studied using rotating paddle dissolution apparatus. The release rate had been studied on different models in order to measure their release kinetics. Results: Obtained FT-IR spectra interpreted no interaction of used natural polymers. Over a period of 12 hrs the maximum drug release was 98.66%. Conclusion: The results of the study successfully revealed that the formulated sustained release tablet of glipizide could be formulated by use of natural polymers which could provide maximum drug release and this study could further be explored to formulate other doasage forms by using natural source polymers.
Glipizide, antidiabetic, sustained release, natural polymer, wet granulation, drug release, guar gum, chitosan, xanthan gum.
- Yadav Neha, Mazumder Rupa, Padhi Swarupanjali. Development of Sustained Release Microspheres of Haloperidol using Different Polymers. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017; 6(1):774-783.
- Nagaich Upendra, Bharti Charu, Pal KP. Diclofenac sodium loaded sustained release matrix tablet possessing natural and synthetic polymers, formulation and in vitro characterization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research 2014; 49-55.
- Balkate Rashmi, Baokar Shrikrishna, Joshi Shrikrishna. Review on Analytical and Formulation Techniques of Glipizide. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2018; 9(3): 894-901.
- Rao NG, Raj KR, Nayak BS. Review on Matrix Tablet as Sustained Release. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Allied Sciences 2013; 2(3): 1-17.
- Varsha KB, Bhutkar MA, Kumbhar A P, Kumbhar AP, Pol SK, Katare PB. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Pregabalin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(11): 1190-1194.
- Pareek SP, Kumawat Sunil, Sharma Vijay, Sharma Devender, Agarwal Mahadev. Review on sustained release technology. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Science Archive 2019; 7(6):29-38.
- Agarwal Prakhar, Semimul Akhtar. A comprehensive review on sustained release matrix tablets: a promising dosage form. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2018; 3(6):49-54.
- Maurya SD, Sagar BP. Sustained release drug delivery system. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology 2013; 1(3):305.
- Chandiran Sharmila, Krishnamoorthy Renuka, Subramanian SP. Biochemical Evaluation of Antidiabetic properties of Strychnos potatorum Seeds extract studied in High Fat Diet Fed- Low dose Streptozotocin induced experimental type 2 diabetes in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6):2615-2623.
- Hammad Yousaf, Muhammad Jamshaid, Bashir Muhammad, Mehmood Irfan, Yasir. Formulation development of Glipizide matrix tablet using different proportion of natural and semi synthetic polymers. Pharmaceutical Methods 2017; 8(1): 183-191.
- Sharma Maya, Choudhury PK, Dev SK. Formulation and In-Vitro-In Vivo Evaluation of Alginate-Chitosan microspheres of Glipizide by ionic Gelation method. Asian J Pharm Clinical Research 2017; 385-390.
- Kumar SR, AarthiC. Insilico Prediction of Binding Efficiency for the Phytoconstituents from Traditional Medicinal Plants against Diabetes Target: Aldose Reductase. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 3709-3712.
- Abdul HM, Lokeswara BV, Pal N. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Glimepiride Based on Combination of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Polymers. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2012; 2(6):101- 107.
- Gandhi Asha, Verma Surajpal, Imam SS, Vyas Manish. A Review on Techniques For Grafting Of Natural Polymers And Their Applications. Plant Archives 2019; 19(2):972-978.
- Saijyosthana Gandey, Vema Aparna, Raghupathi Kandarapu. Preparation and Optimization of Silybin sustained release Microspheres for the treatment of Liver Disorders. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2742-2748.
- Singh Nishita, Tiwari Arun, Kesharwani Roohi, Patel DK. Pharmaceutical Polymer in Drug Delivery: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(7):982-994.
- Kumar Praveen, Mazumder Rupa. Comparative Study on Formulation and Evaluation of Microemulsion Based Gel of Curcumin with Different Combinations of Polymers. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2018; 7(15): 445-466.
- Kothawade PI, Zate SU, Gajbe JW, Rathi MN, Yewale CP and Baheti DR. Design and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Metformin Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 522-525.
- Kulkarni VS, Butte KD, Rathod SS. Natural polymers–A comprehensive review. International journal of research in pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences 2012; 3(4):1597-613.
- Hingmire LP, Deshmukh VN, Sakarkar DM. Development and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets Using Natural Polymer as Release Modifier. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2008; 1(3):193-196.
- Rajeswari S, Prasanthi T, Sudha N, Swain RP, Panda S, Goka V. Natural polymers: A recent review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017; 6(8):472-494.
- Deb Jyotirmoy, Das Mrinmay, Das Arup. Excellency of natural polymer in drug delivery system: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Science Archive 2017; 5(1): 17-22.
- Tiwari Shashank, Batra Navneet. Oral Drug Delivery System: A Review. American Journal of Life Science Researches 2014; 2(1): 27-35.
- Palanisamy Mohanraj, Khanam Jasmina, Kumar NA, Rani C. Chitosan Microspheres Encapsulated With Metoprolol Succinate: Formulation and In - Vitro Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2(2): 349-352.
- Mishra Ankit, Yadav SK. Development of sustained release metoprolol succinate matrix tablets using kappa carrageenan as monolithic polymer. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(9):1311-1316.
- Kumar Pawan, Mazumder Rupa. Preparation and In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of Solid Dispersion Tablets of Azithromycin by Melting Method. International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy and Life Sciences 2017; 6(5): 2517-2521.
- Radhika PR, Pal TK, Sivakumar TK. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Glipizide. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2009; 5(4): 205-214.
- Mahajan Mayuri, Jain Neetesh, Gupta Mahesh. Development of sustained release formulation of glipizide using natural polymer from Tamrindus indica for better patient compliance. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2018; 8(6): 1-6.
- Hadi MA, Babu VL, Pal Narottam. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Glimepiride Based on Combination of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Polymers. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2012; 02(06): 101-107.
- Subramaniam Kannan, Rangasamy Manivannan, Kugalur Ganesan, Kakkatummal Nishad, Kumar SN. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablets of Aceclofenac using Hydrophilic Matrix System. International Journal of PharmTech Research 2010; 2(3): 1775-1780.
- Narasimha Reddy D, Srinath MS, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Kishore Kumar Reddy B, Vamsi Krishna Reddy P , Krishna Mahesh Ch, Kranthi G , Raghavendra P. Formulation and in vitro Evaluation Glimepiride and Parecoxib Mucoadhesive Tablets for diabetics associated with pain and inflammation. Der Pharmacia Lettre 2011; 3(1):185-192.
- Hadi Abdul, Rao AS. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release pellets-filled capsule of Glimpiride. International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Life Sciences 2013; 3(2): 366-376.
- Hammad Yousaf, jamshaid Muhammad, Bashir Irfan. Formulation development of Glipizide matrix tablet using different proportion of natural and semi synthetic polymers. Pharm Methods 2017; 8(1): 45-53.
- Kumar Pawan, Mazumder Rupa. Preparation and In Vitro Evaluation of Azithromycin Solid Dispersion Tablets using PEG-6000. Asian Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 7(3):1-10.
- Kalyani Dewangan, Kushagra Nagori , Mukesh Sharma , Ajay Singh, Sandhya Chandrakar, Vandana Devi Sahu, Garima Sharma, Sujata Gupta, Harsha Solanki, Manisha Majumdar, D. K. Tripathi, Amit Alexander, Ajazuddin* Formulation, evaluation and release studies of Indomethacin Suppositories. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7):942-944.
- Prakash Pawan, Kumar Nitin. Evaluation and comparison of sustained Release Matrix Tablet of diclofenac Sodium Using Natural Polymer. International Journal of Research in pharmaceutical and biomedical Sciences Formulation 2013; 4(1):367-379.
- Syeda Amina Toufique, Md. Abdullah Al Masum, Florida Sharmin, Sabiha Sultana, Md. Selim Reza and Mohiuddin Ahmed Bhuiyan Development and in vitro evaluation of floating drug delivery system of verapamil HCl. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2013; 4(2): 720-726.
- Jain Sourabh, Yadav SK, Patil UK. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Furosemide using Natural Polymers. Research journal of pharmacy and technology 2008; 1(4): 374-376.
- Kumar Sachin, Mazumder Rupa. Formulation, Evaluation and Radiographic Study of Stomach Specific Floating Tablets Containing Velnafexine Hydrochloride for Treatment of Depression. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2018; 9(8): 3493-3500.
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0