Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Growth Dynamics Following Growth Hormone Treatment in Group of Iraqi Patients with Turner’s Syndrome
Background: Short stature is a well-known consequence of Turner’s syndrome (TS) and treatment with growth hormone can be improved the height of those patients, determination of the growth hormone velocity dynamics can help us to predict the optimum period for growth hormone treatment response. Objective: To study growth dynamics, which explained by height standard deviation, growth velocity and growth velocity standard deviation subsequent to growth hormone treatment in patients with Turner’s syndrome. Patient and Methods: During the period from January 2010 to January 2020, medical records of (30) patients with Turner’s syndrome (TS) were registered for this study, treated with growth hormone (GH). Where growth hormone (GH) dose was 0.06 IU/kg/day. Patients' height, mid-parental height (MPH), Bone age, the target height, the height standard deviation value, growth velocity and growth velocity standard deviation value were measured during Periodic follow-up of the patients every (3) months. Growth dynamics that explained by growth velocity, growth velocity Standard deviation and height standard deviation were compared before and after finishing treatment. Results: The average of height at beginning of treatment was 1.04±0.49 and the average of height at end of treatment is 1.3±0.154. While the difference in average is significant p=0.002. The difference between average of height standard deviation value at beginning of treatment and the average of height standard deviation value at end of treatment is also significant p =0.001. The first 2 years had the highest growth velocity and after that the growth velocity almost steady the same. The first year had lowest growth velocity standard deviation and the last year had the highest growth velocity standard deviation. There was no side effects observed was observed during treatment protocol. Conclusion: The growth velocity dynamics peak was more encountered during the first two years of treatment making it the optimum period of interest for compliance with growth hormone treatment.
Turner’s syndrome, Growth hormone treatment, Growth velocity, Growth velocity standard deviation, Turner’s syndrome Growth dynamics.
- Jaime L. Frías, Marsha L. Davenport, Committee on Genetics and Section on Endocrinology, Paediatrics March 2003, 111 (3) 692-702; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.111.3.692
- Carolyn A. Bondy, Care of Girls and Women with Turner Syndrome: A Guideline of the Turner Syndrome Study Group, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2007: 92(1) :10–25, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-1374.
- Zayed, A.A., Beano, A.M., Haddadin, F.I. et al. Prevalence of short stature, underweight, overweight, and obesity among school children in Jordan. BMC Public Health, 2016: 16: 1040 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3687-4
- Ashwini Shenai. Hormones Influencing Growth of the Fetus: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. June, 2015; 8(6): 749-751. Doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00119.5
- Rashid, R., Neill, E., Maxwell, H., & Ahmed, S. Growth and body composition in children with chronic kidney disease. British Journal of Nutrition, 2007: 97(2); 232-238. doi:10.1017/S0007114507252675
- Hind Salman Jasim. Study of growth Hormone Response to Clonidine Stimulation in short stature with Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(5):2356-2358. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00394.9
- Urban MD, Lee PA, Dorst JP, Plotnick LP, Migeon CJ. Oxandrolone therapy in patients with Turner syndrome Pediatr.1979;94:823–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(79)80170-5
- A. MARTÌNEZ, J. J. HEINRICH, H. DOMENÈ, M. E. ESCOBAR, H. JASPER, E. MONTUORI, C. ETAL , Growth in Turner's Syndrome: Long Term Treatment with Low Dose Ethinyl Estradiol, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, August 1987: 65(2) ; 253–257, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-65-2-253
- Ranke MB. Growth hormone therapy in Turner syndrome. Analysis of long-term results. Horm Res. 1995;44(Suppl 3):35–41. https://doi.org/10.1159/000184672
- Theo C. J. Sas, Sabine M. P. F. de Muinck Keizer-Schrama, Theo Stijnen, Maarten Jansen, Barto J. Otten, J. J. Gera Hoorweg-Nijman, etal. Normalization of Height in Girls with Turner Syndrome after Long-Term Growth Hormone Treatment: Results of a Randomized Dose-Response Trial, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, December 1999: 84(12): 4607–4612, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.84.12.6241
- Manzoor Mughal A, Hassan N, Ahmed A. Bone age assessment methods: a critical review. Pak J Med Sci. 2014;30(1):211-215. doi:10.12669/pjms.301.4295
- Ross JL, Long LM, Loriaux DL, Cutler GB., Jr Growth hormone secretory dynamics in Turner syndrome. J Pediatric. 1985; 106:202–206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(85)80287-0
- Anik, Daisy Abraham. A Descriptive study to assess Anthropometric parameters in determining prevalence of overweight among Adolescent Girls. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):49-52. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00014.7
- Soliman AT, De Sanctis2 V. An approach to constitutional delay of growth and puberty. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012;16(5):698-705. doi:10.4103/2230-8210.100650
- ZARGAR, A., Laway, B., Masoodi, S., Wani, A. and Salahuddin, M. An etiological profile of short stature in the Indian subcontinent. Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, 1998,34: 571-576. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1754.1998.00308.x
- Wit JM et al. Growth hormone secretion in patients with Turner's syndrome as determined by time series analysis. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1992; 127:7–12. https://doi.org/10.1530/acta.0.1270007
- Charmian A. Quigley, Brenda J. Crowe, D. Greg Anglin, John J. Chipman, Growth Hormone and Low Dose Estrogen in Turner Syndrome: Results of a United States Multi-Center Trial to Near-Final Height, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2002: 87(5); 2033–2041, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.87.5.8477
- Ashwini Shenai. Hormones Influencing Growth of the Fetus: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. June, 2015; 8(6): 749-751. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00119.5
- Mathew John, Ekaterina Koledova, Kanakatte Mylariah Prasanna Kumar, Harshal Chaudhari, "Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Growth Hormone Deficiency in India", International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2016, Article ID 2967578, 11 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2967578
- Michael B. Ranke, Anders Lindberg, Pierre Chatelain, Patrick Wilton, Wayne Cutfield, Kerstin Albertsson-Wikland, David A. Price, Prediction of Long-Term Response to Recombinant Human Growth Hormone in Turner Syndrome: Development and Validation of Mathematical Models, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, November 2000: 85(11) ;4212–4218, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.85.11.6976
- Nuha SH. Ali. Growth Hormone Receptor and Histopathological Study in Patients with Tonsillitis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(12): 5507-5512. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.01002.8.
- Rosenfeld RG et al. Growth hormone therapy of Turner's syndrome: beneficial effect on adult height. J Pediatr. 1998; 132:319–324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70452-4
- Steven D. Chernausek, Kenneth M. Attie, Jose F. Cara, Ron G. Rosenfeld, James Frane, Growth Hormone Therapy of Turner Syndrome: The Impact of Age of Estrogen Replacement on Final Height, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2000:85(7); 2439–2445, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.85.7.6684
- Chung SC, Park MJ, Kim DH. Final adult height in patients with Turner syndrome. J Korean SocPediatrEndocrinol. 1997; 2:60–69. https://www.koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?RID=2001536
- Hin JH. Growth Hormone Therapy in Girls with Turner Syndrome; Results of the Korean Turner Study Group. J Korean Soc Pediatr Endocrinol. 1998;3(2):151-156. https://www.koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?RID=2193864
- Chu CE et al . Variable effect of growth hormone on growth and final adult height in Scottish patients with Turner's syndrome. Acta Paediatr. 1997; 86:160–164. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1997.tb08858.x
- Bakker B, Frane J, Anhalt H, Lippe B, Rosenfeld RG. Height velocity targets from the national cooperative growth study for first-year growth hormone responses in short children. J ClinEndocrinolMetab. 2008; 93:352–357.
- A van Teunenbroek, S M de Muinck Keizer-Schrama, T Stijnen, M Jansen, B J Otten, H A Delemarre-van de Waal, T Vulsma, etal. Yearly stepwise increments of the growth hormone dose results in a better growth response after four years in girls with Turner syndrome. Dutch Working Group on Growth Hormone, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 1996: 81(11); 4013–4021, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.81.11.8923853
- Rosenfeld RG. Growth hormone therapy in Turner's syndrome: an update on final height. Genentech National Cooperative Study Group. Acta Paediatrica (Oslo, Norway: 1992). Supplement. 1992 Sep; 383:3-6; discussion 7. PMID: 1458013. https://europepmc.org/article/med/1458013.
- Marsha L. Davenport, Brenda J. Crowe, Sharon H. Travers, Karen Rubin, Judith L. Ross, Patricia Y. Fechner, Daniel F. Gunther, etal. Growth Hormone Treatment of Early Growth Failure in Toddlers with Turner Syndrome: A Randomized, Controlled, Multicenter Trial, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2007: 92(9); Pages 3406–3416, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-2874
- Linglart A, A Linglart, S Cabrol, P Berlier, C Stuckens , K Wagner, M de Kerdanet , C Limoni , J-C Carel , J-L Chaussain, et al. Growth hormone treatment before the age of 4 years prevents short stature in young girls with Turner syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011; 164:891–897: DOI 10.1530/EJE-10-1048.
- JM Ahn, JH Suh, AR Kwon, Chae H.W, Kim H.-S. Final Adult Height after Growth Hormone Treatment in Patients with Turner Syndrome Horm Res Pediatric. 2019;91(6):373-379. Doi: 10.1159/000500780.
- Lyon AJ, Preece MA, Grant DB. Growth curve for girls with Turner syndrome. Arch Dis Child. 1985;60:932–935. dhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/adc.60.10.932
- Ian P. Hughes, Catherine S. Choong, Mark Harris, Geoffrey R. Ambler, Wayne S. Cutfield, Paul L. Hofman, Chris T. Cowell. Growth hormone treatment for Turner syndrome in Australia reveals that younger age and increased dose interact to improve response. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011; 74:473–480. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.03937.x
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 0