Protective Effect of the Combination of Hydroalcoholic Extracts of Asparagus Racemosus, Centella Asiatica, Plumeria Rubra with Glibenclamide in Experimentally Induced Diabetic Nephropathy in Rats
Objective: The current investigation analysed the effect of combination of standardized hydroalcoholic extracts of Asparagus racemosus (AR), Centella asiatica (CA) and Plumeria rubra (PR) on glibenclamide (GB) administered in experimentally induced diabetic nephropathy (DN) in Wistar rats. Material and methods: DN was induced in laboratory rats by alloxan monohydrate (160 mg/kg i.p). Rats were given the combination of AR, CA and PR called as ACP (100, 200 and 400mg/kg) along with GB (5mg/kg). Group 1-4 were control, diabetic control, standard GB (10mg/kg), GB (5 mg/kg), while groups 5-7 were given ACP (100, 200 and 400mg/kg) along with GB (5mg/kg) once daily for 30 days. Blood glucose, serum insulin, uric acid, Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, superoxide dismutase (SOD), albumin, malondialdehyde (MDA), and kidney histopathological examination was done in all experimental animals. Results: ACP along with GB improved the derailed glycaemic status, renal biochemical, oxidative stress parameters in animals. Co-administration of ACP (400mg/kg) with GB (5mg/kg) significantly (p<0.01) decreased BUN, creatinine, uric acid, significantly increased (p<0.05) SOD, significantly (p<0.01) decreased MDA, significantly increased (p<0.05) serum insulin when compared with diabetic control. Histopathological observations corroborated with biochemical parameters. Conclusion: Enhancement in the effectiveness of GB was observed with ACP (400mg/kg). Thus, ACP confers protection by improving renal, oxidative parameters and the restoration of morphological abnormalities in the kidneys.
- Dronavalli S, Duka I, Bakris GL. The pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Nat Rev Endocrinol.2008; 4(8):444-52.
- Agarwal SK, Srivastava RK. Chronic kidney disease in India: challenges and solutions. Nephron Clin Pract. 2009; 111(3):197-203.
- Reboldi G, Gentile G, Angeli F, Verdecchia P. Choice of ACE inhibitor combinations in hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes: update after recent clinical trials. Vasc Health RiskManag.2009;5:411-27.
- Vadivelan R, Dipanjan M, Umasankar P, Dhanabal SP, Satishkumar MN, Antony S, Elango K. Hypoglycemic, antioxidant and hypolipidemic activity of Asparagus racemosus on streptozotocin-induced diabetic in rats. Adv Appl Sci Res. 2011;2(3):179-85.
- Jarald E, Joshi SB, Jain D. Diabetes and herbal medicines. Iran J Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 7(1):97-106.
- Rahman H, Reddy VB, Ghosh S, Mistry SK, Pant G, Sibi G. Antioxidant, cytotoxic and hypolipidemic activities of Plumeria alba L. and Plumeria rubra L. Am J Life Sci. 2014;2(4):11-5.
- Chauhan PK, Pandey IP, Dhatwalia VK. Evaluation of the anti-diabetic effect of ethanolic and methanolic extracts of Centella asiatica leaves extract on alloxan induced diabetic rats. Adv Biol Res.2010; 4:27-30.
- Ojewale AO, Olaniyan OT, Faduyile FA, Odukanmi OA, Oguntola JA, Dare BJ. Testiculo protective effects of ethanolic roots extract of Pseudocedrela kotschyi on alloxan induced testicular damage in diabetic rats. J Adv Med. 2014:548-63.
- Kullin M, Hansen JB, Welsh N, Karlsson FA, Sandler S. Protection of rat pancreatic islets by potassium channel openers against alloxan, sodium nitroprusside and interleukin-1β mediated suppression-possible involvement of the mitochondrial membrane potential. Diabetologia.2003; 46:80-8.
- Brod J, Sirota JH. The renal clearance of endogenous “creatinine” in man. J Clin Invest.1948;27:645-54.
- Belis ME. Uric acid metabolism in man. Adv Clin Chem.1976 ;18 : 213-6.
- Doumas BT, Watson WA, Biggs HG. Albumin standards and the measurement of serum albumin with bromcresol green. Clin Chim Acta. 1971; 31:87-96.
- Bousquet BF, Julien RB, C Dreux. Determination of blood urea. Ann Biol Clin.1971; 29:415.
- Marklund S, Marklund G. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem. 1974;47(3):469-74.
- Slater TF, Sawyer BC. The stimulatory effects of carbon tetrachloride and other halogenoalkanes on peroxidative reactions in rat liver fractions in vitro. General features of the systems used. Biochem J.1971; 123(5):805-14.
- Gupta RC, Chang D, Nammi S, Bensoussan A, Bilinski K, Roufogalis BD. Interactions between antidiabetic drugs and herbs: an overview of mechanisms of action and clinical implications. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2017; 9(1):1-12.
- Saifi A, Chauhan R, Dwivedi J. Development of a polyherbal formulation FMST and evaluation for antidiabetic activity in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 7(1):1-7.
- Lenzen S. The mechanisms of alloxan and streptozotocininduced diabetes. Diabetologia. 2008;51(2):216-26.
- Macharla SP, Goli V, Nath AR. Antidiabetic Activity of Bambusa arundinaceae Root Extracts on Alloxan Induced Diabetic Rats. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2012; 2(2):73-5.
- CK MR, Raj MA. Uremic Hypoglycemia. Kidney.; 15(29): G5. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research
- Akbar DH, Hagras MM, Amin HA, Khorshid OA. Comparison between the effect of glibenclamide and captopril on experimentally induced diabetic nephropathy in rats. J Renin-Angio-Aldo S. 2013; 14(2): 103-15.
- Merina AJ, Sivanesan D, Begum VH, Sulochana N. Antioxidant and hypolipidemic effect of Plumeria rubra L. in alloxan induced hyperglycemic rats. J Chem. 2010;7(1):1-5.
- Hannan JM, Ali L, Khaleque J, Akhter M, Flatt PR, Abdel-Wahab YH. Antihyperglycaemic activity of Asparagus racemosus roots is partly mediated by inhibition of carbohydrate digestion and absorption, and enhancement of cellular insulin action. Brit J Nutr. 2012;107(9):1316-23.
- Nagappa AN, Thakurdesai PA, Rao NV, Singh J. Antidiabetic activity of Terminalia catappa Linn fruits. J Ethnopharmacol.2003; 88(1):45-50.
- Lima WG, Martins-Santos ME, Chaves VE. Uric acid as a modulator of glucose and lipid metabolism. Biochimie.2015;116:17-23.
- Dabla PK. Renal function in diabetic nephropathy. World J Diabetes. 2010; 1(2):48-56.
- Kimball SR, Horetsky RL, Jefferson LS. Hormonal regulation of albumin gene expression in primary cultures of rat hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab.1995; 268(1):6-14.
- Ghatak SB, Panchal SS. Renoprotective effects of oryzanol in an animal model of experimentally induced diabetic nephropathy. Orient Pharm Exp Med.2014; 14(1):55-67.
- Wang S, Mitu GM, Hirschberg R. Osmotic polyuria: an overlooked mechanism in diabetic nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplan.2008; 23:2167.
- Kushwaha SP, Rawat SK, Kumar P, Tripathi K. Coupling antioxidant and antidiabetic assets of 2, 4-thiazolidinedione derivatives. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(4):71-3.
- Tiwari P, Patel RK. Estimation of total phenolics and flavonoids and antioxidant potential of Ashwagandharishta prepared by traditional and modern methods. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(4):147-52.
- Potbhare M, Khobragade D. In Vitro Evaluation of Antioxidant Potential of Ayurvedic Preparations Lauha Bhasma and Mandura Bhasma. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 7(2):63-6.
- Madhu C, Swapna J, Neelima K, Shah MV. A comparative evaluation of the antioxidant activity of some medicinal plants popularly used in India. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2012;2(3):98-100.
- Lakshmana G, Chitra V, Kumar DR, Reddy PD, Srinivasan R, Devi GR. Study of Antidiabetic and Free Radical Scavenging Activity of the Methanolic and N-Hexane Extract of Asystasia gangetica Leaf in Alloxan Induced Diabetic Rats. Research journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014 ; 6(2):86.
- Vaidegi N, Anuradha R. Antinephrotoxic Effect of Boerhaavia diffusa L. Root on Lead Acetate Induced Nephrotoxicity in Male Albino Rats. Research journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012 ;4(6):2.
- Azize SW. Study of Heavy Metals and their effects on Oxidant/Antioxidant Status in Workers of fuel Station in Hilla city-Iraq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 ;11(1):312-6.
- Kurutas EB. The importance of antioxidants which play the role in cellular response against oxidative/nitrosative stress: current state. Nutr J. 2015;15(1):1-22.
- Fujishima H, Chida S, Takahashi K, Qi Z, Kanetsuna Y, Breyer MD, Harris RC, Yamada Y, Takahashi T. Reduction of renal superoxide dismutase in progressive diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20(6):1303-13.
- Kamat JP, Boloor KK, Devasagayam TP, Venkatachalam SR. Antioxidant properties of Asparagus racemosus against damage induced by γ-radiation in rat liver mitochondria. J Ethnopharmacol. 2000; 71(3):425-35.
- Chippada SC, Vangalapati M. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activity of Centella asiatica extracts. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences. 2011; 1(2):260.
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 0