Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Naringin Co-administration on Oral Bioavailability Of Efavirenz in Rabbit
Efavirenz is a first line anti-retroviral drug belonging to category of non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTIs), However, it has variable bioavailability due to its limited aqueous solubility. Naringin is a bioavailability enhancer which has been used to increase bioavailability of several drugs. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to investigate the possibility of improving the bioavailability of Efavirenz using Naringin in experimental rabbits. The experimental rabbits were divided into four groups. Group I received Efavirenz 9.33 mg/kg, p.o (which corresponded to 200mg of human dose), Group II received Efavirenz 9.33mg/kg, + Naringin 20.8mg/kg, p.o; Group III received Efavirenz 28mg/kg, p.o (which corresponded to 600mg of human dose); Group IV received Efavirenz 28mg/kg + Naringin 20.8mg/kg, p.o. Afterwards, plasma from each group of rabbits was extracted and at fixed time interval drug plasma concentration was estimated using HPLC. Pharmacokinetic parameters of were determined for each group. Efavirenz (9.33mg/kg and 28mg/kg) - Naringin (20.8mg/kg) co-administration significantly increased absorption rate constant (Ka) and elimination rate constant (Kel), Cmax, T1/2, Tmaxsignificantly. Efavirenz 9.33mg/kg - Naringin (20.8mg/kg) co-administration increased area under the curve significantly. The relative bioavailability of Efavirenz 9.33 mg/kg - Naringin (20.8mg/kg) co-administration and Efavirenz 28mg/kg - Naringin (20.8mg/kg) co-administration was found to be 113.77% and 106.75% respectively. Based on the results it can be concluded that Naringin co-administration increased the oral exposure of Efavirenz to some extent. Bioavailability of Efavirenz with Naringin was found to be higher than Efavirenz control.
Efavirenz, Naringin, HPLC, Area under the curve, Pharmacokinetic parameters.
- Kesarwani K, Gupta R, Mukerjee A. Bioavailability enhancers of herbal origin: an overview. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2013 Apr; 3(4):253-66. doi:10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60060-X
- Rachana Bhimanwar, Lata Kothapalli, Akshay Khawshi. Quercetin as Natural Bioavailability Modulator: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Apr; 13(4):2043-50. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00368.6
- Randhawa GK, Kullar JS, Rajkumar. Bioenhancers from mother nature and their applicability in modern medicine. International Journal of Applied Basic Medical Research. 2011 Jan;1(1):5-10. doi:10.4103/2229-516X.81972
- Ajazuddin, Alexander A, Qureshi A, Kumari L, Vaishnav P, Sharma M, Saraf S, Saraf S. Role of herbal bioactives as a potential bioavailability enhancer for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. Fitoterapia. 2014 Sep; 97:1-14. doi: 10.1016/j.fitote.2014.05.005.
- Gaur PK, Mishra S, Bajpai M, Mishra A. Enhanced oral bioavailability of Efavirenz by solid lipid nanoparticles: in vitro drug release and pharmacokinetic studies. Biomed Research International 2014; 2014:363404. doi:10.1155/2014/363404
- Usach I, Melis V, Peris JE. Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors: a review on pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability. Journal of International AIDS Society. 2013 Sep 4; 16(1):1-14. doi:10.7448/IAS.16.1.18567
- Mohd. Yaqub Khan, Maryada Roy, Imtiyaz Ahmad, Irfan Aziz, Manju Panday. Formulation and Evaluation of Efavirenz 600 mg Tablet. Asian Journal Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015 July-Sept; 5(3): Page 153-67. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2015.00024.7
- Samir Shah, Kintu Patel, Mohsin Pathan. Evaluation of the Effect of Piperine on Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics of Macrolides in Rats. Asian Journal Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Apr-Jun; 8(2):61-67. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2018.00013.9
- Rohini S. Koli, Aslam S. Patel, Kamlesh N. Chaudhari, Khushbu R. Patil. A Review on HPLC and Its New Trends. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis . 2018 Oct-Dec; 8(4): 233-36. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2018.00042.X
- Hamid Khan, Javed Ali. UHPLC: Applications in Pharmaceutical Analysis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2017; 7(2): 124-31. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2017.00020.5
- Paget GE. And. Barnes JM. Toxicity tests. Evaluation of Drug Activities. In Pharmacometrics, Edited by Lawrence DR and Bacharach A L. Academic Press, London. 1964; pp. 140–161.
- Hiwale AR, Dhuley JN, Naik SR. Effect of co-administration of piperine on pharmacokinetic of beta-lactam antibiotics in rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2002 Mar; 40(3):277-281.
- Ramachandran G, Kumar AK, Swaminathan S, Venkatesan P, Kumaraswami V, Greenblatt DJ. Simple and rapid liquid chromatography method for determination of Efavirenz in plasma. Journal of Chromatography. B, Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences. 2006 May 1; 835(1-2):131-135. doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2006.03.014
- Choi JS, Shin SC. Enhanced paclitaxel bioavailability after oral coadministration of paclitaxel prodrug with Naringin to rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2005 Mar 23; 292(1-2):149-156. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2004.11.031
- Choi JS, Han HK. Enhanced oral exposure of diltiazem by the concomitant use of Naringin in rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2005 Nov 23;305(1-2):122-128. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2005.09.004
- Soldin OP, Elin RJ, Soldin SJ. Therapeutic drug monitoring in human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Quo vadis?. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 2003 Jan; 127(1):102-105. doi:10.5858/2003-127-102-TDMIHI
- Kang JS, Lee MH. Overview of therapeutic drug monitoring. Korean J Intern Med. 2009; 24(1):1-10. doi:10.3904/kjim.2009.24.1.1
- Tamargo J, Le Heuzey JY, Mabo P. Narrow therapeutic index drugs: a clinical pharmacological consideration to flecainide. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology,. 2015 May; 71(5):549-567. doi:10.1007/s00228-015-1832-0
- Tsibris AMN. And. Hirsch MS. Antiretroviral Therapy for Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. In Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, Edited by Bennett JE, Dolim R, Blaser MJ. W.B. Saunders. 2015; pp. 1622-1641.
- Bumpus NN, Kent UM, Hollenberg PF. Metabolism of Efavirenz and 8-hydroxyEfavirenz by P450 2B6 leads to inactivation by two distinct mechanisms. The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 2006 July; 318(1):345-351. doi:10.1124/jpet.106.102525
- Venkatesh S, Pagilla B, Chiluka R, Alvala R, Pola RK, Mullangi R. Bioenhancing effects of Naringin on atrovastatin. ADMET and DMPK. 2019 Jun 6; 7(3):174–182. doi:10.5599/admet.647
- P. Hinderliter P, S.A. Saghir SA. Pharmacokinetic. In Encyclopedia of Toxicology, Edited by Wexler P. Academic Press; 2014; 3rd ed: pp.849-855.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0