Open Access Subscription Access
Characterization and Synthesis of Milk Thistle Nanoparticles to Overcome Oxidative Stress Induce Testicular Damage in Male Rats
Background Silymarin (SMN) is a natural component polyphenolic purified from Silybum marianum (milk thistle) seeds. SMN can control reactive oxygen species and converts them into compounds with minimizing their toxicity. Objectives The aim of the present study was to evaluate the therapeutic effect of silymarin nanoparticles on sperm parameters of rats induced diabetes by alloxan. Methods: Firstly gas liquid chromatography (GCMS) was utilized to identification active compound in milk thistle, then the preparation of silymarin -TPGS nanoparticles: Nanoparticles of silymarin of were prepared by the Nano precipitation. Forty Wistar albino rats were divided into four groups, control, induced diabetic with 150mg/kg of alloxan I.p, group three and four induced diabetic and treated with milk thistle extract and nanoparticles at a dose of 100 mg/kg.bw daily orally, for 60 days, Blood was collected from heart puncture for estimate serum FSH, L.H, and testosterone, then animal sacrificed to evaluate sperm quality and quantity as well as the histopathological section of tests. Results: Biochemical inspection appear that SMN nanoparticles improved sperm quality and quantity when compared with untreated and SMN groups. SMN nanoparticles appear to have therapeutic effects as an antioxidant against alloxan-induced damage in rat testes. Conclusions: Silymarin nanoparticles can be considered as a hopeful herbal as complementary medicine which may play a significant role to save normal spermatocytes against ROS effects-induced reproductive damage.
Silymarin, FSH, L.H, Tests, Nanoparticles.
- Tahereh, S. and R. Mansoor. Antioxidants and infertility treatment, the role of Satureja Khuzestanica:a mini-systematic review. 2011. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC421643.
- Bisht S et al., Oxidative stress and male infertility. Nature Reviews Urology, 2017. 14(8): p. 470-485. https://www.nature.com/articles/nrurol.2017; 69
- Sinha A. and S. Gupta. The Role of Antioxidant Supplementation in Male Infertility. Clinical Research in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2018;1(1): p. 1-12. https://asclepiusopen.com/clinical-research-in-obstetrics-and-gynecology/volume-1-issue-1/6.php
- Zarif-Yeganeh M. and M. Rastegarpanah. Clinical role of silymarin in oxidative stress and infertility: A short review for pharmacy practitioners. Journal of research in pharmacy practice. 2019; 8(4): p. 181. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6952757
- Holstein, A.-F., W. Schulze, and M. Davidoff, Understanding spermatogenesis is a prerequisite for treatment. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 2003; 1(1): p. 1-16. https://rbej.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1477-7827-1-107
- Take G et al. Effect of melatonin and time of administration on irradiation-induced damage to rat testes. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 2009. 42(7):p.621-628. https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0100-879X2009000700006&script=sci_abstract&tlng=pt7. Surai, P.F., Silymarin as a natural antioxidant: an overview of the current evidence and perspectives. Antioxidants.2015; 4(1): p. 204-247. https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0100-879X2009000700006&script=sci_abstract&tlng=pt
- Masoumi, H., et al., Clinical and pharmacological applications of silymarin components at cellular and molecular level: a review. Research Journal of Medical Sciences.2016; 10(3): p. 102-107. http://eprints.skums.ac.ir/949/
- Awang D. Milk thistle. Can Pharm J. 1993; 126(4034): p. 422. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/875512259501100510
- Chen I.S., et al., Hepatoprotection of silymarin against thioacetamide‐induced chronic liver fibrosis. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2012; 92(7): p. 1441-1447. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jsfa.4723
- Jasim A M. H FHasan, and M J Awady. Preparation of Vorapaxar loaded with Vitamin E TPGS and PVA emulsified PLGA nanoparticles In vitro studies. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(9): p. 4503-4510. https://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=12&issue=9&article=076
- Jasim A M et al., Characterization and Synthesis of Selenium-TPGS Nanoparticles for Target Delivery Clove to Minimize Cytogenic and Liver Damage Induced in Adult Male Rats. Nano Biomed. Eng, 2021. 13(2): p. 127-136. http://nanobe.org/Assets/userfiles/sys_eb538c1c-65ff-4e82-8e6a-a1ef01127fed/files/13(2)_p127-136%20(Adnan%20Mansour%20Jasim).pdf
- Jasim A A Dirwal and AAl-Yassri. Role of zontivity loaded by PLGA coated by TPGS in ameliorating induced cardiovascular and pulmonary disorder in adult male. East African Medical Journal, 2019; 96(6). https://www.ajol.info/index.php/eamj/article/view/200791
- CooperT G., et al. World Health Organization reference values for human semen characteristics. Human reproduction update, 2010; 16(3): p. 231-245. https://academic.oup.com/humupd/article-abstract/16/3/231/639175
- Adnan, M., et al., Effect of long-term administration of Atonik compound in female rabbits on hematological and pathological changes in important functional body organ. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences, 2016. 2(7): p. 96-102. http://www.jocms.org/index.php/jcms/article/view/87
- Ibraheem AK. efficacy of dq-tocopheryl polyethylene glycol succinate (tpgs) to minimize atonik toxicity in male rats. Plant Archives. 2020; 20(1): p. 1738-1342. http://www.plantarchives.org/SPECIAL%20ISSUE%2020-1/1738-1742%20(128).pdf
- Al-Rawi, K. and A. Khalafalla, Analysis of Experimental Agriculture Disgen. Dar Al-Kutub for Printing and Publishing. Mosul Univ. 2000.
- Sah, E. and H. Sah, Recent trends in preparation of poly (lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles by mixing polymeric organic solution with antisolvent. Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015; 2015. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1155/2015/794601
- Dibenedetto A., et al. Organic carbonates: efficient extraction solvents for the synthesis of HMF in aqueous media with cerium phosphates as catalysts. ChemSusChem, 2016; 9(1): p. 118-125. https://chemistry-europe.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/cssc.201501181
- Zhang H et al., Commonly used surfactant, Tween 80, improves absorption of P-glycoprotein substrate, digoxin, in rats. Archives of pharmacal research, 2003;26(9)https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02976689
- Guo Y . The applications of Vitamin E TPGS in drug delivery. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 2013. 49(2): p. 175-186. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928098713000651
- Mohammed QA. protective role of vitamin–tpgs to overcome oxidative stress induced by dipping of sheep with cypermethrin. Plant Archives, 2020; 20(1): p. 1105-1109. http://plantarchives.org/20-1/1105-1109%20(5735).pdf
- Kuki, A., et al., Identification of silymarin constituents: an improved HPLC–MS method. Chromatographia, 2012. 75(3-4): p. 175-180. https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10337-011-2163-7.pdf
- Tayoub G. H Sulaiman, and M ALorfi. Quantitative identification of total silymarin in wild Silybum marianum L. by using HPLC. International Journal of Herbal Medicine, 2018;6(2): p. 110-114.
- https://www.florajournal.com/archives/2018/vol6issue2/PartB/7-1-21-585.pdf 25. Serban C. Effect of sour tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) on arterial hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of hypertension, 2015; 33(6): p. 1119-1127. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13205-020-02612-8
- Elangovan A et al. Momordica cymbalaria improves reproductive parameters in alloxan-induced male diabetic rats. 3 Biotech, 2021;11(2): p. 1-14.
- Fatehi D et al. Radioprotective effects of Silymarin on the sperm parameters of NMRI mice irradiated with γ-rays. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 2018; 178: p. 489-495. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09553002.2013.741285
- Adhikari M et al. In vitro studies on radioprotective efficacy of silymarin against γ-irradiation. International journal of radiation biology, 2013; 89(3): p. 200-211.
- Wong A et al. Addition of eosin to the aniline blue assay to enhance detection of immature sperm histones. Fertility and sterility, 2008;90(5): p. 1999-2002. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015028207036485
- Fanoudi S et al. Milk thistle (Silybum Marianum) as an antidote or a protective agent against natural or chemical toxicities: a review. Drug and chemical toxicology, 2020;43(3): p. 240-254. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01480545.2018.1485687
- Tuli H S et al. Path of Silibinin from diet to medicine: A dietary polyphenolic flavonoid having potential anti-cancer therapeutic significance. in Seminars in Cancer Biology. 2020; Elsevier. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1044579X20302066
- Bansal, J., et al., Hepatoprotective Models and Various Natural Product Used in Hepatoprotective Agents: a Review. Pharmacognosy Communications, 2014; 4(3). https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rishabha-Malviya/publication/276866455_Hepatoprotective_Models_and_Various_Natural_Product_Used_in_Hepatoprotective_Agents_a_Review/links/572dd3ff08aeb1c73d128fcc/Hepatoprotective-Models-and-Various-Natural-Product-Used-in-Hepatoprotective-Agents-a-Review.pdf
- Oufi H G. N N. Al-Shawi, and S.A. Hussain, What are the effects of silibinin on testicular tissue of mice? Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2012; 2(11): p. 9. http://www.japsonline.com/admin/php/uploads/688_pdf.pdf
- Yaman T. Protective effects of silymarin on methotrexate-induced damages in rat testes. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2018; 54(1). https://www.scielo.br/j/bjps/a/xSVm9VZrWYjRxgv3yFVrGcT/abstract/?lang=en
- Moshtaghion S M . Silymarin protects from varicocele-induced damages in testis and improves sperm quality: evidence for E2f1 involvement. Systems biology in reproductive medicine, 2013; 59(5): p. 270-280. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/19396368.2013.794253
Abstract Views: 35