Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
In- Vitro Antiurolithiatic Potential of Leaves of Anneslea Fragrans Wall. Against Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones and Its Ft- Ir Analysis
Anneslea fragrans Wall. is an evergreen shrub or small tree that belongs to family Theaceae and can be characteristically identify by its unique aroma. A. fragrans has collected from Manipur, India and its leaves were extracted in methanol using soxhlet method. In- vitro antiurolithiatic potential has determined by turbidity changes in artificial urine method, nucleation assay, and aggregation assay. FT-IR has been used to study the functional group characterization of the leaves of A. fragrans. A. fragrans has showed significant in- vitro antiurolithiatic activity through turbidity changes in artificial urine, nucleation, and aggregation assay with maximum % inhibition at 1000μg/ml i.e. 78.1%, 32.32%, and 57.11% respectively. FT-IR analysis reveals the major functional groups including hydroxyl, saturated aliphatic, quinone or conjugated ketone and aliphatic flouro group. A. fragrans have shown excellent in- vitro antiurolithiatic activity and hence, can be consider as an effective herbal alternative or constituent of herbal formulation for treatment of urolithiasis.
Anneslea fragrans Wall., Antiurolithiatic, Calcium oxalate, Artificial urine, Nucleation, Aggregation.
- Anand R, Patnaik GK, Srivastva S, Kulshereshtha DK, Dhawan BN. Evaluation of Antiurolithiatic Activity of Tribulus Terrestris. International Journal of Pharmacognosy 2008; 32 (3): 217- 224
- Jagannath N, Chikkannasetty SS, Govindadas D and Devasankaraiah G. Study of antiurolithiatic activity of Asparagus racemosus on albino rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2012; 44 (5): 576-579
- Vyas BA, Vyas RB, Joshi SV, Santani DD. Antiurolithiatic activity of whole-plant hydroalcoholic extract of Pergularia daemia in Rats. J Young Pharm 2011; 3(1): 36- 40.
- Das M, Malipeddi H, 2016. Antiurolithiatic activity of ethanol leaf extract of Ipomoea eriocarpa against ethylene glycol-induced urolithiasis in male Wistar rats. Indian J Pharmacol 48(3): 270- 274
- Yadav M, Gulkari VD and Wanjari MM. Bryophyllum pinnatum Leaf Extracts Prevent Formation of Renal Calculi in Lithiatic Rats. Anc Sci Life 2016; 36(2): 90–97.
- Dinnimath BM, Jalalpure SS, Patil UK. Antiurolithiatic activity of natural constituents isolated from Aerva lanata. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative medicine. 2017; 8(4): 10.1016/j.jaim.2016.11.006
- Khaling M, Kumar S, Vandana. Current scenario of Urolithiasis and the use of medicinal plants as antiurolithiatic agents in Manipur (North East India): A Complete Review. International Journal of Herbal Medicine 2014; 2(1), 1-12.
- Kain D, Kumar S, Suryavanshi A. Therapeutic values of medicinal plants against prevalence of Urolithiasis: A Review. Medicinal Plants 2018; 10(4), 268-277
- Kumar S, Mikawlrawng K, PushpLata, Singhal S, Punia P, Kumar S, Sharma P, Sharma S, Thakur K, Kumari S, Sehgal S, Dhoundiyal A. Ethnobotanical survey of antimicrobial flora of Manipur: A biodiversity hot spot region of North East India. Journal of New Biological Reports 2016; 5(3): 139-147.
- Burns JR, Finlayson B. A proposal for standard reference artificial urine in invitro urolithiasis experiments. J Urol 1980; 18: 167-169.
- Bensatal A, Ouahrani MR. Inhibition of crystallization of calcium oxalate by the extraction of Tamarix gallica L. Urol Res 2008; 36: 283–287.
- Hennequin C, Lalanne V, Daudon M, Lacour B, Dru Èeke T. A new approach to studying inhibitors of calcium oxalate crystal growth. Urol Res 1993; 21: 101±8
- Hess B, Nakagawa Y and Coe FL. Inhibition of calcium oxalate monohydrate crystal aggregation by urine proteins. Am J Physiol. 1989; 257: 99-106
- Vamsi S, Raviteja M, Kumar GS. In-vitro antiurolithiatic potential of various extracts of Mucuna pruriens. IJPSR 2014; 5(9): 3897-3902
- Vennila V, Marthal MA. In-vitro analysis of phytochemical and antiurolithiatic activity of various extracts of Melia dubia leaves. World J Pharm. Pharmaceu. Sci 2015; 4(4): 1277-1289.
- Atmani F, Khan SR. Effects of an extract from Herniaria hirsute on calcium oxalate crystallization in vitro. BJU Int 2000; 85: 621-625
- Binu TV, Vijayakumar B. In- vitro antiurolithiatic activity of Strychnos potatorum L.F. South Indian J Biol. Sci 2016; 2(1): 174-178
- Chandirika JU, Annadurai G. Inhibition of calcium oxalate crystallization in vitro by an extract of Lantana camara. Int. J Creative Res. Thoughts 2018; 6(1): 1188- 1199.
- Aryal S, Kunwar P, Thapa C. Antiurolithiatic Activity of Selected Plants Extracts Against Calcium Oxalate Crystals. Journal of medicinal plant research. 2019
- Suryavanshi A, Kumar S, Kain D, Arya A. Evaluation of Phytochemical and antibacterial potential of Ajuga parviflora Benth. Medicinal Plants 2020; 12(1): 144-149
- Kain D, Kumar S, Suryavanshi A and Arya A. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of Achillea millefolium L. Medicinal Plants 2020; 12(3): 457-462.
- Kain D, Kumar S. Synthesis and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles of Achillea millefolium L. and their activities [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. F1000Research 2020; 9:1297 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.26446.1)
- Shah SK, Patel KM, Vaviya PM. Evaluation of antiurolithiatic activity of Betula utilis in rats using ethylene glycol model. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(2):81-87.
- Madhu C, Harish L, Reddy KN, Sagar S, Soumya D, Kumar GP. Antiurolithic activity of aqueous extract on roots and seeds of Plectranthus tomentora on ethylene glycol induced kidney stones in male albino rats. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2(4): Oct.-Dec. 2012; Page 129-133.
- Srinivas VDN, Sumalatha G, Jagannath PPV, Kishore DS, Kiran PM, Rani MJ. Antinephrolithiatic potential of Macrotyloma uniflorum aqueous extract in rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(1): 75-78.
- Rai A, Gautam A, Panchal S, Sood A, Prashar P, Pandey NK, Melkani I, Kumar B. Protective effect of ethanolic extract of Terminalia arjuna bark against ethylene glycol induced urolithiasis in male rats: In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6132-6139.
- Kushagra D, Rajiv S, Ruchi G, Neelesh M. In-Vitro evaluation of anti-urolithic activity of leaves extract of Costus igneus. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(3):1289-1292.
- Suvarna Y, Abdul Rahaman SK. In Vitro – In Vivo evaluation of antiurolithiatic activity of piperine from Piper nigrum. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(1):63-68.
- Jagtap PN, Vyapari BR, Nimbalkar YH, Kale SV, Nigade GB. Evaluation of antiurolithiatic activity of polyherbal formulation (Lithout Tablets) by in-vitro inhibition of calcium oxalate crystallization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(11): 5477-5478.
- Spandana K, Shivani M, Himabindhu J, Ramanjaneyulu K. Evaluation of in vitro antiurolithiatic activity of Vigna radiata. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(12): 5455-5457.
- Kamakshi UN, Rao BG, Rao BV. Comparison of in vitro antiurolithiatic activity of Aerva lanata, Sphaeranthus indicus, Merremia emarginata. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1653-1656.
- Kachru A, Bisht M, Baunthiyal M. In vitro evaluation of anti-neprolithiatic activity of leaves and seeds of Macrotyloma uniflorum on dissolution or removal of kidney stones. Res. J. Pharmacognosy & Phytochem. 2016; 8(1): 05-12.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0