Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Applications of Microbial Bioflocculants for Environmental Remediation: An Overview
The application of bioflocculants has recently become a promising solution for the treatment of water and wastewater as well as removal of pollutants from environment. Water pollution is the most challenging environmental issue in the developing countries to determine the quality of life. The wastewater from different sources contains suspended solids, organic and inorganic particles, dissolved solids, heavy metals, dyes and other impurities which are harmful to the environment causing major health hazards in human and animals. The use of bioflocculants is advantageous for the control of environmental pollution as they are non- toxic and biodegradable in nature. Moreover, they do not create any secondary pollution. Chemical flocculants being a source of carcinogens can be replaced by bioflocculants which needs to be produced on a large scale. However, commercially viable bioflocculants are yet to be produced and marketed widely. This review intends to present the updated information on microbial bioflocculants and their applications for remediation of pollutants from wastewater. It may bring up the significant issues which can be attempted by future researchers for a better understanding to develop commercially viable, safe, eco-friendly and cost effective bioflocculants using new biotechnological techniques.
Bioflocculant, Biodegradable, Eco-Friendly, Flocculation Activity, Wastewater Treatment.
- Sharmila S, Dinesh M, Kowsalya E, Kamalambigeswari R and Rebecca LJ. Biosorption of dye using Lawsonia sp. as adsorbent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(4): 1651-1654.
- Mandal SK and Das N. Biodegradation of benzo [a] pyrene by Rhodotorula sp. NS01 strain isolated from contaminated soil sample. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(6):1751-1757.
- Gupta AK, Ganjewala D, Goel N, Khurana N, Ghosh S and Saxena A. Bioremediation of tannery chromium: A microbial approach. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(1):118-122.
- Verma M and Ekka A. Decolorization and degradation of kraft lignin discharged from pulp and paper mill industry by axenic and co-culture of Bacillus sp. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(10):4386-4392.
- Abbas BF, Al-Jubori WM, Abdullah AM, Shaaban H and Mohammed MT. Environmental pollution with the heavy metal compound. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(9):4035-4041.
- Ragadevan V, Kanchanabhan TE, Dayakar P, Mani A and Chockalingam MP. Removal of heavy metal ions (Lead) using natural adsorbent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(8):3693-3696.
- Purushothaman V, Madhumathi R and Sakthiselvan P. Removal of Nickel (II) and Zinc (II) present in the electroplating industry wastewater by bioaccumulation method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(4):1495-1503.
- Sajen S, Jose JV, Bukke S, Subbarao SS and Mandla VR. Removal of basic dye from synthetic wastewater using sugarcane bagasse modified with propionic acid. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(6):1627-1634.
- Meshram R and Jadhav SK. Treatment of oil refinery wastewater simultaneously with bioelectricity production in mediator-less microbial fuel cell using native gram-positive Bacillus sp. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(4):1953-1961.
- Oda AM, Naji HK, Lafta AJ, Salih A, Ahmed L, Jawad H and Falah K. Congo red dye removal from simulated textile wastewaters over a neat and silver doped zinc oxide nanoparticles. A kinetics study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(6):2669-2676.
- Ramya M, Kalaivani RA and Raghu S. Microbial fuel cell: A renewable equipment for bio-power production and simultaneous treatment of industrial wastewaters. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(7):3551-3554.
- Abdollahi K, Yazdani F, Panahi R and Mokhtarani B. Biotransformation of phenol in synthetic wastewater using the functionalized magnetic nano-biocatalyst particles carrying tyrosinase. 3 Biotech. 2018; 8(10):419.
- Ortiz-Oliveros HB and Flores-Espinosa RM. Simultaneous removal of oil, total Co and 60 Co from radioactive liquid waste by dissolved air flotation. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2019; 16(7):3679-3686.
- Liu H, Chen G and Wang G. Characteristics for production of hydrogen and bioflocculant by Bacillus sp. XF-56 from marine intertidal sludge. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2015a; 40(3):1414-1419.
- Liu Z, Huang M, Li A and Yang H. Flocculation and antimicrobial properties of a cationized starch. Water Research. 2017a; 119: 57-66.
- Liu Z, Wei H, Li A and Yang H. Evaluation of structural effects on the flocculation performance of a co-graft starch-based flocculant. Water Research. 2017b; 118:160-166.
- Abu Tawila ZM, Ismail S, Dadrasnia A and Usman MM. Production and characterization of a bioflocculant produced by Bacillus salmalaya 139SI-7 and its applications in wastewater treatment. Molecules. 2018; 23(10):2689.
- Aguilar MI, Sáez J, Lloréns M, Soler A, Ortuño JF, Meseguer V and Fuentes A. Improvement of coagulation–flocculation process using anionic polyacrylamide as coagulant aid. Chemosphere. 2005; 58(1):47-56.
- Yang R, Li H, Huang M, Yang H and Li A. A review on chitosan-based flocculants and their applications in water treatment. Water Research. 2016; 95:59-89.
- Ferasat Z, Panahi R and Mokhtarani B. Natural polymer matrix as safe flocculant to remove turbidity from kaolin suspension: Performance and governing mechanism. Journal of Environmental Management. 2020; 255:109939.
- Lapointe M and Barbeau B. Dual starch–polyacrylamide polymer system for improved flocculation. Water Research. 2017; 124:202-209.
- Im D, Nakada N, Kato Y, Aoki M and Tanaka H. Pretreatment of ceramic membrane microfiltration in wastewater reuse: A comparison between ozonation and coagulation. Journal of Environmental Management. 2019; 251:109555.
- Liu Z, Wei H, Li A and Yang H. Enhanced coagulation of low-turbidity micro-polluted surface water: properties and optimization. Journal of Environmental Management. 2019; 233:739-747.
- Abdollahi K, Yazdani F and Panahi R. Covalent immobilization of tyrosinase onto cyanuric chloride crosslinked amine-functionalized superparamagnetic nanoparticles: synthesis and characterization of the recyclable nanobiocatalyst. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2017; 94:396-405.
- Abdollahi K, Yazdani F and Panahi R. Fabrication of the robust and recyclable tyrosinase-harboring biocatalyst using ethylenediamine functionalized superparamagnetic nanoparticles: nanocarrier characterization and immobilized enzyme properties. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry. 2019; 24(7): 943-959.
- Firooz NS, Panahi R, Mokhtarani B and Yazdani F. Direct introduction of amine groups into cellulosic paper for covalent immobilization of tyrosinase: support characterization and enzyme properties. Cellulose. 2017; 24(3): 1407-1416.
- Kothari R, Pathak VV, Pandey A, Ahmad S, Srivastava C and Tyagi VV. A novel method to harvest Chlorella sp. via low cost bioflocculant: Influence of temperature with kinetic and thermodynamic functions. Bioresource Technology. 2017; 225: 84-89.
- Shahadat M, Teng TT, Rafatullah M, Shaikh ZA, Sreekrishnan TR and Ali SW. Bacterial bioflocculants: a review of recent advances and perspectives. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2017; 328: 1139-1152.
- Dao VH, Cameron NR and Saito K. Synthesis, properties and performance of organic polymers employed in flocculation applications. Polymer Chemistry. 2016; 7(1):11-25.
- Mu J, Zhou H, Chen Y, Yang G and Cui X. Revealing a novel natural bioflocculant resource from Ruditapes philippinarum: Effective polysaccharides and synergistic flocculation. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2018; 186:17-24.
- Lee DJ and Chang YR. Bioflocculants from isolated stains: A research update. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2018; 87:211-215.
- Siddeeg SM, Tahoon MA and Rebah FB. Agro-industrial waste materials and wastewater as growth media for microbial bioflocculants production: a review. Materials Research Express. 2020; 7(1):012001.
- Abd El-Salam AE, Abd-El-Haleem D, Youssef AS, Zaki S, Abu-Elreesh G and El-Assar SA. Isolation, characterization, optimization, immobilization and batch fermentation of bioflocculant produced by Bacillus aryabhattai strain PSK1. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology. 2017; 15(2):335-344.
- Abdullah AM, Hamidah H and Alam MZ. Research progress in bioflocculants from bacteria. International Food Research Journal. 2017; 24:402-409.
- Agunbiade MO, Pohl CH and Ashafa AO. A Review of the application of biofloccualnts in wastewater treatment. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 2016; 25(4):1381-1389.
- David OM, Oluwole OA, Ayodele OE and Lasisi T. Characterisation of fungal bioflocculants and its application in water treatment. Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology. 2019; 34(6):1-9.
- Maliehe TS, Basson AK and Dlamini NG. Removal of pollutants in mine wastewater by a non-cytotoxic polymeric bioflocculant from Alcaligenes faecalis HCB2. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(20):4001.
- Dlamini NG, Basson AK and Pullabhotla VS. Optimization and application of bioflocculant passivated copper nanoparticles in the wastewater treatment. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(12):2185.
- Dlangamandla C, Ntwampe SK and Basitere M. A bioflocculant-supported dissolved air flotation system for the removal of suspended solids, lipids and protein matter from poultry slaughterhouse wastewater. Water Science and Technology. 2018; 78(2):452-458.
- Agunbiade M, Pohl C and Ashafa O. Bioflocculant production from Streptomyces platensis and its potential for river and waste water treatment. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology. 2018; 49(4):731-741.
- Didar Z and Ferdosi-Makan A. Bioflocculant production by different microbial species and their potential application in dairy wastewater treatment. Journal of Advances in Environmental Health Research. 2016; 4(1):18-24.
- Pu SY, Qin LL, Che JP, Zhang BR and Xu M. Preparation and application of a novel bioflocculant by two strains of Rhizopus sp. using potato starch wastewater as nutrilite. Bioresource Technology. 2014; 162:184-191.
- Zhong C, Xu A, Chen L, Yang X, Yang B, Hong W, Mao K, Wang B and Zhou J. Production of a bioflocculant from chromotropic acid waste water and its application in steroid estrogen removal. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2014; 122:729-737.
- Guo J, Yang C and Zeng G. Treatment of swine wastewater using chemically modified zeolite and bioflocculant from activated sludge. Bioresource Technology. 2013; 143:289-297.
- Zhang CL, Cui YN, Wang Y. Bioflocculant produced from bacteria for decolorization, Cr removal and swine wastewater application. Sustainable Environment Research. 2012; 22(2):129-134.
- Gong WX, Wang SG, Sun XF, Liu XW, Yue QY and Gao BY. Bioflocculant production by culture of Serratia ficaria and its application in wastewater treatment. Bioresource technology. 2008; 99(11):4668-4674.
- Vimala RT, Escaline JL and Sivaramakrishnan S. Characterization of self-assembled bioflocculant from the microbial consortium and its applications. Journal of Environmental Management. 2020; 258:110000.
- Biswas JK, Banerjee A, Sarkar B, Sarkar D, Sarkar SK, Rai M and Vithanage M. Exploration of an extracellular polymeric substance from earthworm gut bacterium (Bacillus licheniformis) for bioflocculation and heavy metal removal potential. Applied Sciences. 2020; 10(1):349.
- Agunbiade MO, Pohl C, Heerden EV, Oyekola O and Ashafa A. Evaluation of fresh water actinomycete bioflocculant and its biotechnological applications in wastewaters treatment and removal of heavy metals. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(18):3337.
- Fan HC, Yu J, Chen RP and Yu L. Preparation of a bioflocculant by using acetonitrile as sole nitrogen source and its application in heavy metals removal. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2019; 363:242-247.
- Ayangbenro AS, Babalola OO and Aremu OS. Bioflocculant production and heavy metal sorption by metal resistant bacterial isolates from gold mining soil. Chemosphere. 2019; 231: 113-120.
- Dih CC, Jamaluddin NA and Zulkeflee Z. Removal of heavy metals in lake water using bioflocculant produced by Bacillus subtilis. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science. 2019; 42(1):89-101.
- Sajayan A, Kiran GS, Priyadharshini S, Poulose N and Selvin J. Revealing the ability of a novel polysaccharide bioflocculant in bioremediation of heavy metals sensed in a Vibrio bioluminescence reporter assay. Environmental Pollution. 2017; 228:118-127.
- Pathak M, Sarma HK, Bhattacharyya KG, Subudhi S, Bisht V, Lal B and Devi A. Characterization of a novel polymeric bioflocculant produced from bacterial utilization of n-hexadecane and its application in removal of heavy metals. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2017; 8:170.
- Zhao H, Zhong C, Chen H, Yao J, Tan L, Zhang Y and Zhou J. Production of bioflocculants prepared from formaldehyde wastewater for the potential removal of arsenic. Journal of Environmental Management. 2016; 172:71-76.
- Subudhi S, Bisht V, Batta N, Pathak M, Devi A and Lal B. Purification and characterization of exopolysaccharide bioflocculant produced by heavy metal resistant Achromobacter xylosoxidans. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2016; 137:441-451.
- Devi KK and Natarajan KA. Production and characterization of bioflocculants for mineral processing applications. International Journal of Mineral Processing. 2015; 137:15-25.
- Bisht V and Lal B. Exploration of performance kinetics and mechanism of action of a potential novel bioflocculant BF-VB2 on clay and dye wastewater flocculation. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2019; 10:1288.
- Chouchane H, Mahjoubi M, Ettoumi B, Neifar M and Cherif A. A novel thermally stable heteropolysaccharide-based bioflocculant from hydrocarbonoclastic strain Kocuria rosea BU22S and its application in dye removal. Environmental Technology. 2018; 39(7):859-872.
- Buthelezi SP, Olaniran AO and Pillay B. Textile dye removal from wastewater effluents using bioflocculants produced by indigenous bacterial isolates. Molecules. 2012; 17(12):14260-14274.
- Deng S, Yu G and Ting YP. Production of a bioflocculant by Aspergillus parasiticus and its application in dye removal. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2005; 44(4):179-186.
- Zhao H, Liu H and Zhou J. Characterization of a bioflocculant MBF-5 by Klebsiella pneumoniae and its application in Acanthamoeba cysts removal. Bioresource Technology. 2013; 137:226-232.
- Cao G, Zhang Y, Chen L, Liu J, Mao K, Li K and Zhou J. Production of a bioflocculant from methanol wastewater and its application in arsenite removal. Chemosphere. 2015; 141:274–281.
- Li Z, Zhong S, Lei HY, Chen RW, Yu Q and Li HL. Production of a novel bioflocculant by Bacillus licheniformis X14 and its application to low temperature drinking water treatment. Bioresource Technology. 2009; 100:3650–3656.
- Liu W, Hao Y, Jiang J, Zhu A, Zhu J and Dong Z. Production of a bioflocculant from Pseudomonas veronii L918 using the hydrolyzate of peanut hull and its application in the treatment of ash-flushing wastewater generated from coal fired power plant. Bioresource Technology. 2016; 218:318–325.
- Yang Z, Liu S, Zhang W, Wen Q and Guo Y. Enhancement of coal waste slurry flocculation by CTAB combined with bioflocculant produced by Azotobacter chroococcum. Separation and Purification Technology. 2019; 211:587–593.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0