Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of MGNREGA on Employment Generation in Kerala
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) as a flagship programme by the Central Government of India started in September, 2005. As per the program, each rural household gets 100 days of guaranteed employment (unskilled works) every year. Although the major objective of this program is to provide livelihood security for rural households, it also facilitates the creation as well as maintenance of rural infrastructure and employment generation. The present paper is an attempt to overview the impact of MGNREGA on employment generation in rural Kerala. It also examined the demand for employment and employment generated revealed that MGNREGA plays a significant role in employment generation in rural Kerala.
MGNREGA, Employment Generation; Kerala.
- Das Darshana (2016), “Role of MGNREGA in Rural Employment: A Study of Barpeta District of Assam, India”, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Studies, 11960: 241-248.
- DekaTrailokya and Pande Bhagirathi (2015), “Employment Generation and Social Capital Formation : A study of the impact of MGNREGA in Assam’, International Journal of Scientific Research, 6 (11): 7619-7625.
- Dutta, P., Murgai, R., Ravallion, M., and Van de Walle, D. P (2012), “Does India's employment guarantee scheme guarantee employment?”, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper (6003).
- Dutta, S (2015), “An Uneven Path to Accountability: A Comparative Study of MGNREGA in two States of India”. WZB Discussion Paper No. SPI 2015-201.
- Krishnamurthy, J (2006), “Employment Guarantee and Crisis Response". Economic & Political Weekly, 41 (9): 789-790.
- Kumar S (2014), “Role of MGNREGA in Rural Employment: A Review”. EPRA International Journal of Economic and Business Review, 2 (): 18-22.
- Mishra, Anil Kumar, and Madhulika Singh (2018),“MGNREGA and Employment Generation in India". International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 8 (9): 146-154
- Navtez Singh (2018), “Effect of MGNREGA on Employment Opportunities in Rural India”, Demography India: 155-162.
- Paul Sarbajith (2016), “Role of MGNREGA on Rural Employment Generation and Development: A Descriptive Study”, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 1 (1): 26-39.
- Prasad, K.V.S (2012), “Performance of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act MGNREGA: An Overview”. International Journal of Management & Business Studies, 2 (4): 99-103.
- Sami L and Khan A(2016), “Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee act (MGNREGA): A tool for Employment Generation’. J. Soc. Sc. Manage, 3 (4): 281-286.
- Sharma, Disha, Abdul Karim, and S.S. Khanuja (2017), “MGNREGA: A Tool for Generation of Employment & Poverty Alleviation”. SSRG International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 4 (4): 1-6.
Abstract Views: 150
PDF Views: 35