Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Effect of Inflation on Measures of Financial Performance on Indian Manufacturing Industry
Price do not remains constant over a period of time. They tend to change due to various factors like economical, social, political etc. This paper aims to demonstrate the disfiguring effects of inflation on the financial statement on Manufacturing Industry in India, and the corresponding effects on measures of profitability. The financial performances of 42 manufacturing companies covering 7 industrial sectors have been restated in current purchasing power for a period of 5 years (2004-05 to 2008-09). The Current Purchasing Power method and different tools of financial statement analysis like comparative and common-size statement analysis have been employed for study the impact of inflation on financial performance. It is observed that after inflation adjustment, the level of profitability in Indian manufacturing industry is lower (overall) with respect to profitability measures calculated using historical cost based on financial statements. In addition to the impact of inflation on manufacturing industry varies greatly for the study period. The result emphasizes the differential effects on manufacturing industry with varying inflation rates.
Manufacturing Industry, Financial Performance, Inflation, Comparative Statement, Common-size Statement
- Antonios A. P., (1986) in their article “Assessing the impact of inflation on business Performance under conditions of limited Financial disclosure: the case of firms Operating in Greece”, University of Piraeus, p 25-42.
- Baran A., Lakonishok J. and Ofer A. B., (1980) in their article entitled “The Information Content of General Price Level Adjustment Earnings: Some Empirical Evidence”.
- Daly D. J. (1982), Inflation, Inflation Accounting and its Effect, Canadian Manufacturing 1966-82”, York University, Downs view, Ontario pp. 355-374.
- Gupta A., (2000) The Book “Inflation Accounting The Indian Context” Kanishka Publishers and Distributors.
- Gupta R. and Bhandari L. C., (1978) in Impact of Inflation Accounting on Corporate Profits - A Study of 57 Indian Companies, Institute of Management Ahmadabad, Research and Publication Department , working Paper Series
- Gupta R., (1978) Inflation Accounting in India - A Case Study of the Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. Institute of Management Ahmadabad, Research and Publication Department, working Paper Series.
- Hand Book on Statistics of the Indian Economy, Reverse Bank of India 2008-09
- Hand Book on Statistics of the Indian Economy, Reverse Bank of India September 15 2011.
- http://financialdictionary. thefreedictionary.com/Inflation+Accounting (2012)
- http://hindi.economictimes.indiatimes.com/currentquote.cms?tick er=a&matchcompanyname=true&pagesize=30&pagenumber=1
- Jennings R. &Maturana G. (2005) in their article The Usefulness Of Chilean Inflation Accounting, in the journal ABANTE, p 85- 118
- Kohler, E.L., A Dictionary of Accountants, 6th edition, Prentice Flail of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1983, p.111.
- Konchitchki Y., (2011), Inflation and Nominal Financial Reporting: Implications for Performance and Stock Prices, The Accounting Review, Volume 86 (3): 1045–1085.
- Lacey, K.C., Some implications of the first-in-first-out method of stock valuation, Economics, Feb., 1945, PP. 26-30.
- N'cho-Oguee C., Blakley D. L., Murray L. W. & Smith M. B., (2 011), Econometric Analysis Of Functional Relationship Between Inflation And Growth Of Firms In South Africa : Empirical Research Findings Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, Om Sai Ram Centre for Financial Management Research p1-19
- Norby W. C., (1981) The Interpretation of Inflation Accounting Information, The SAXE Lecture in Accounting. P48-55
- Nunley, Terry James, 1983 ‘Can Disclosures of the Effects of Changing Pieces be audited? A Case Study’ Dissertation Abstracts International Vol. 44 No. 8 February, 1984, p. 2504-A,
- Okumus, H. S., (2002) “ The effect of inflation on measures of profitability in Turkish banking”, YapiKredi Economic Review, 2002, vol.13, no. 2, pp. 3-18.
- Paraître Fr. (2003) in the article Inflation Accounting A Manual on National Accounting Under Conditions of High Inflation. OCDE Comptesnationaux et Statistiquesrétrospectives, pp. I- 100 (101)
- Porwal, L.S. and Mishra, N., 1983 Corporate Practices in Inflation Accounting in India; Indian Journal of Accounting (Journal of the Indian Accounting Association) Vol. XIII, June & December, 1983, Part II.
- Sharma R. K And Gupta S. K.,(2003) A book on Management Accounting pp31.1-31.21
- Sinha S.L.N., 1974 “Inflation and Company Finance”, in Sinha (Ed.), Inflation in India, pp. 276-280.
- Table of Wholesale Price Index -All India, Economic Survey of Delhi, 2007-08 Month And Year Wise Wholesale Price Index Numbers of All India P272-278
Abstract Views: 1072
PDF Views: 0