Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription Access
Open Access Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Restricted Access Subscription Access

A Study to Assess the Knowledge Regarding Self Management Behaviour Among Type II Diabetes Mellitus Patients in Prevention of COVID-19 at Selected Area, Alappuzha District, Kerala, India


Affiliations
1 Associate Professor, Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing Department, India
2 Principal, St. Thomas College of Nursing, Kattanam, Alappuzha, India
     

   Subscribe/Renew Journal


A quantitative research study was done to evaluate the effect of planned teaching programme on knowledge regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients in prevention of Covid-19 at selected areas in Alappuzha district. The objectives were to assess the pretest level of knowledge regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus and to find out the association between knowledge regarding regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients in prevention of covid-19 at selected areas in Alappuzha district with selected demographic variables. The Quantitative research approach was selected with Quasi experimental one group pretest post test control group design. The study was conducted in type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients who have been diagnosed in 5 years at selected areas in Alappuzha district. 50 Samples were selected according to the non-probability convenient sampling techniques. Screening test was done for the population with screening criteria. Knowledge questionnaire was given for 50 type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients who have been diagnosed in 5 year. The study findings reveals that among 50 samples, majority (84%) of the subjects have good knowledge regarding self management behaviour in prevention of COVID 19 remaining 16% percentage have average knowledge and nobody had poor knowledge. The association between knowledge score with various demographic variables shows 0.05 level of significance and it shows there is no significant association between knowledge score and demographic variables like age, sex, religion, type of family, area of residence, education, occupation and income.

Keywords

Knowledge, Self Management Behavior, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients, COVID-19, Selected Areas.
Subscription Login to verify subscription
User
Notifications
Font Size


  • https://www.who.int/laos/news/detail/24-03-2020-ministry-of-health- and-who-respondto-first-case-of-covid-19-inlaos#:~:text=Coronaviruses%20are%20a%20large%20family,China%20in%20December%202019.
  • https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technicalguidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it.
  • https://nwhn.org/how-does-covid-19-affect-different-age-groups/
  • Anna Lucy Tavares de Oliveira, Luiz Felipe, Lage Souza Camilo, Ravena Rieelly Ara├║jo Moura, Leticia Karoline Braga, Cassia Regina Gontijo Gomes; COVID-19 and diabetes: a review literature, Volume 5,2020.
  • https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7144611/
  • International Diabetes Federation; COVID-19 and diabetes,2020 https://diabetesvoice.org/en/news/covid-19-and-diabetes/
  • https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7215977/

Abstract Views: 167

PDF Views: 0




  • A Study to Assess the Knowledge Regarding Self Management Behaviour Among Type II Diabetes Mellitus Patients in Prevention of COVID-19 at Selected Area, Alappuzha District, Kerala, India

Abstract Views: 167  |  PDF Views: 0

Authors

Gepsi Jain
Associate Professor, Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing Department, India
Nahomi Clement
Principal, St. Thomas College of Nursing, Kattanam, Alappuzha, India

Abstract


A quantitative research study was done to evaluate the effect of planned teaching programme on knowledge regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients in prevention of Covid-19 at selected areas in Alappuzha district. The objectives were to assess the pretest level of knowledge regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus and to find out the association between knowledge regarding regarding self management behaviour among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients in prevention of covid-19 at selected areas in Alappuzha district with selected demographic variables. The Quantitative research approach was selected with Quasi experimental one group pretest post test control group design. The study was conducted in type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients who have been diagnosed in 5 years at selected areas in Alappuzha district. 50 Samples were selected according to the non-probability convenient sampling techniques. Screening test was done for the population with screening criteria. Knowledge questionnaire was given for 50 type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients who have been diagnosed in 5 year. The study findings reveals that among 50 samples, majority (84%) of the subjects have good knowledge regarding self management behaviour in prevention of COVID 19 remaining 16% percentage have average knowledge and nobody had poor knowledge. The association between knowledge score with various demographic variables shows 0.05 level of significance and it shows there is no significant association between knowledge score and demographic variables like age, sex, religion, type of family, area of residence, education, occupation and income.

Keywords


Knowledge, Self Management Behavior, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients, COVID-19, Selected Areas.

References