Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Spectrofluorimetric Estimation of Some Fluoroquinolones
A highly sensitive spectrofluorimetric procedure is developed for the analysis of certain fluoroquinolones: norfloxacin (NFX), sparfloxacin (SFX) and ofloxacin (OFX) in their pharmaceutical dosage forms and in biological fluids. This procedure is based upon the intrinsic fluorescence of selected drugs in 0.1N H2SO4. The excitation (λext ) and emission wavelengths (λemis.) are 270 nm and 464 nm, 276 nm and 442 nm, 280 nm and 510 nm for NFX, SFX and OFX respectively. The calibration curve was rectilinear from the 0.8-2 μg mL-1, 0.4-2.8 μg mL-1 and 0.01-0.4 μg mL-1 for NFX, SFX and OFX respectively. The accuracy and precision of the proposed method was confirmed by estimating six replicates within Beer-Lambert limits for each of the investigated drug with correlation coefficient not less than 0.999. The developed method was applied successfully for the determination of the studied drugs in their pharmaceutical dosage forms and in the biological fluids with a good precision and accuracy compared to official and reported methods as revealed by statistical analysis.
Sparfloxacin, Ofloxacin, Norfloxacin, Spectrofluotimetry, Fluoroquinolones.
- Goodman and Gilman’s,” The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics” Mc. Graw Hill Publication, 2001; 1182.
- Indian pharmacopoeia, the controller of publication New Delhi, India, 1996; Vol-II: 522.
- United State Pharmacopoeia XXIV, USP convention, Rochville M.D., 2000; 963.
- The British Pharmacopoeia, H. M. stationary office, London, 2004; 1398.
- Salem Heshan, “Spectrofluorimetric, Atomic Absorption spectrometric and Spectrophotometric determination of some fluoroquinolones” American Journal of Applied Science, 2005; 2 (3): 719-726.
- Sankar D. G. et al.”Spectrophotometric determination of sparfloxacin with floroglucinol” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2002; 64 (2): 163-167.
- Marona H. R. and Schapoyal E. E. “Spectrophotometric determination of sparfloxacin in pharmaceutical formulations using bromothymol blue” J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2001; 26 (3) 501-509.
- Rizk M. et al. “Derivative spectrophotometric analysis of 4-quinolone antibacterials in formulations and spiked biological fluids by their Cu (II) complexes” J.A.O.A.C. Int., 2001; 84 (2): 368-371.
- Girish Kumar K., Choudhary K. P. R. and Devala Rao G. “Visible spectrophotometric methods for the determination of sparfloxacin in pharmaceutical formulations” The Antiseptic, 2001; 98 (6): 217-223.
- Marona H. R. and Schapoval E. E. “Development and validation of nonaqueous titration with perchloric acid to determine sparfloxacin in tablets” Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm, 2001; 52 (2) 227-232.
- Rizk M. et al. “Voltammetric analysis of certain 4-quinolones in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids” J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2000; 24 (2): 211-216.
- Hopaka H. and Kowalczuk D. “Application of derivative UV spectrophotometry for the determination of ciprofloxacin, nofloxacin and ofloxacin in tablets” Acta. Pol. Pharm. 2000; 57 (1): 3-11.
- Liu Z., Huang Z. and Cai R. “Study of the fluorescence characteristics of norfloxacin in reversed micelles and application in analysis” Analyst. 2000; 125 (8): 1477-1482.
- Cordoba-Borrego Met al. “Validation of a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of nofloxacin and its application to stability studies” J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 1999; 18 (6): 919-926.
- Marona H. R. N., Zuanazzi J. A. S. and Schapoval E. E. S., “Determination of sparfloxacin and its degradation products by HPLC-PDA” J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 1999; 44: 301-308.
- Marona H. R. N. and Schapoval E. E. S. “Spectrophotometric determination of sparfloxacin in tablets” J. Antimicrob. Chemother, 1999; 43: 136-139.
- Fangtian Y. et al. “Observations on photochemical fluorescence enhancement of the terbium (III)-sparfloxacin system” Spectrochim. Acta. A. Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc. 1999; 55A (5): 1119-1123.
- Mody V. D. et al. “High performance thin-layer chromatographic method for the determination of sparfloxacin in human plasma and its use in pharmacokinetic studies” J. pharm. Biomed. Anal. 1998; 16 (8): 1289-1294.
- Rajasekaran A. et al. “Spectrophotometric method for the determination of sparfloxacin in pharmaceutical formulation” The Eastern Pharmacist. 1998; Sept., 123-125.
- Cordoba-Borrego M., Cordoba-Diaz M. and Cordoba-Diaz D., “Determination of norfloxacin by fluorescence in the presence of different antacids” J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 1996; 14 (8-10): 977-983.
- Bolton S. “Pharmaceutical Statistics Practical and Clinical Application” Marcel Dekker Inc Newyork, 1997; 120-146.
- I.C.H. Harmonized tripartite guideline, Text on Validation of an Analytical procedure Methodology Q2B 1996.
Abstract Views: 583
PDF Views: 0