Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Tillage and Nutrition for Tannia [Xanthosoma Sagittifolium (l.). Schott] Raised as an Intercrop in Coconut Gardens
A field investigation was conducted at College of Agriculture, Vellayani, Kerala during the year 2015-16 to study the role of tillage and nutrition in growth and yield of tannia raised as an intercrop in coconut gardens. The experiment was laid out in split plot design. The main plot treatments were (l1 -conventional tillage followed by pit system, l2 -conventional tillage followed by mound system, l3 - deep tillage followed by pit system and l4 - deep tillage followed by mound system). The sub plot treatments were (s1- control, s2- coir pith, s3- rice husk) and (n1- integrated nutrient management (INM) and n2- organic nutrition). Results of the experiment revealed that the growth and yield of tannia was improved by deep tillage with pit system of planting, application of coir pith as soil conditioner @ 500g plant-1 at the time of planting and providing organic nutrition (FYM @37.5 t ha-1 + wood ash @ 2 t ha-1) was highly beneficial.
Nutrition, Tannia, Tillage, Intercrop, Growth, Yield.
- Ayyaswamy, M., Chinnuswamy, C., and Sundarsingh, S.D. (1996). Effect of irrigation regimes, comrade cropping and soil amendments on the yield and economics of cassava, groundnut and sesamum. Madras Agric. J., 83(1) : 338-341.
- Das, A.R. (1992). Coir pith potential wealth in India. In: Proceedings of the national seminar on utilisation of coir pith. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, pp. 1-8.
- Gupta, R.K., Arora, B.R., Sharma, K. N. and Ahluwalia, S.C. (2000). Influence of biogas slurry and FYM application on changes in soil fertility under rice-wheat cropping sequence. J. Indian Soc. Soil Sci., 48 (3) : 500-505.
- Hullugalle, W. R., Lal, R. and Opradadi, O. A. (1985). Effect of tillage system and mulch on soil properties and growth of yam and Xanthosoma sagittifolium on Ultisol. J. Root Crops, 11 : 9-22.
- John, S.K., Suja, G., Edison, S. and Ravindran, C.S. (2006). Nutritional disorders of tropical tuber crops, technical bulletin series No. 48, Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, sreekariyam, Thiruvananthapuram, pp.74.
- Mohankumar, C.R. (1986). Agronomic investigations on colocasia (Colocasia esculenta L.) variety Thamarakannan. Ph.D. Thesis, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, 240pp.
- Mukharjee, P. S. (2001). Use of coir pith as soil conditioner for growing tuber crops. J. Root Crops, 27: 271-274.
- Nedunchezhiyan, M., Sinhababu, D. P. and Sahu, P. K. (2013). Effect of soil amendments and irrigation regimes on minimum tillage planted sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) and rice (Oryza sativa) fallows under lowland conditions. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 84 (3):371-375.
- Nyochembeng, L. and Garton, S. (1998). Plant regeneration from cocoyam callus derived from shoot tips and petioles. Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ Culture, 53:127-134.
- Savithri, P. and Khan, H.H. (1994). Characterisation of coconut pith and its utilization in agriculture. J.Plantation Crops, 22:1-18.
- Suja, G., John, S.K. and Sundaresan, S. (2009). Potential of tannia [Xanthosoma sagittifolium (L.) Schott] for organic production. J. Root Crops, 35:36-40.
- Venkateswarlu, T. and Biradar, R.S. (1980). Leaf area determination in tannia. J. Root Crops, 6 : 45-47.
Abstract Views: 362
PDF Views: 0