Open Access Subscription Access
Image Thresholding using 2D Tsallis-Havrda-Charvaat Entropy and Local Binary Pattern (LBP)
This paper proposes an automatic global thresholding method based on 2D Tsallis-Havrda-Charva+-t entropy and histogram of Local Binary Patterns (LBP). Tsalli-Havrda-Charvat entropy is obtained from 2D histogram, which has determined by using the LBP decimal value and the average decimal value of its neighborhood. Based on this entropy we obtain the optimal threshold pair by maximizing the criterion function. LBP histogram is adopted to capture the texture information. LBP's high performance for texture characterization helps to make our method more suitable for thresholding the images in problem. In this paper we report the effectiveness of our thresholding method when applied to some real-world and synthetic images, and experiments show that the performance of our proposed method is promising, robust and fast.
Image Segmentation, 2D Histogram, Local Binary Pattern, Thresholding.
- Abutaleb AS. Automatic thresholding of grey-level pictures using twodimensional entropies. Pattern Recognition. 1989; 47:22–32.
- Brink AD. Thresholding of digital images using two-dimensional entropies. Pattern Recognition. 1992; 25:803–8.
- Chang FJ, Yen JC, et al. A new criterion for automatic multilevel thresholding. IEEE Trans Image Process. 1995; 4:370–8.
- Daroczy Z. Generalized information functions. Inform Control. 1970; 16:36–51.
- Esquef I, Albuquerque M, et al. Non-extensive entropic image thresholding. IEEE Computer Society Proceedings of 15th Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing; 2002.
- Havrda J, Charvat F. Quantification methods of classification processes: Concept of structural α-entropy. Kybernetica (Prague). 1967; 3:95–100.
- Kapur JN, Sahoo PK, et al. A new method for gray level picture thresholding using the entropy of the histogram. Comput Vision Graphics Image Process. 1985; 29:273–85.
- Pavesic P, Ribaric S. Gray level thresholding using the Havrda and Charvat entropy. IEEE 10th Mediterranean Electro-Technical Conference (MEleCon2000); 2000. p. 631–4.
- Albuquerque M, Esquef IA, et al. Image thresholding using Tsallis entropy. Pattern Recognition Lett. 2004; 25:1059–65.
- Sahoo PK, Arora G. A thresholding method based on two dimensional Renyi’s entropy. Pattern Recognition. 2004; 37:1149–61.
- Sahoo PK, Soltani S, et al. A survey of the thresholding techniques. Comput Vision Graphics Image Process. 1988; 41:233–60.
- Sahoo PK, Arora G. Image thresholding using two-dimensional TsallisHavrda-Charvat entropy. Pattern Recognition Lett. 2006; 27:520-8.
- Tsallis C. Possible generalization of Boltzmann–Gibbs statistics. J Stat Phys. 1988; 52:480–7.
- Wong AKC, Sahoo PK. A gray-level threshold selection method based on maximum entropy principle. IEEE Trans Systems Man Cybernet. 1989; 19:866–71.
- Ojala T, Pietikainen M, Maenpaa T. Multi-resolution gray-scale and rotation invariant texture classification with local binary patterns. IEEE Trans Pattern Analy and Machine Intell. 2002; 24:971-87.
- Otsu N. A threshold selection method from gray-level histogram. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern. 1979; 9:62-6.
Abstract Views: 453
PDF Views: 172