Open Access Subscription Access
Al2O3-coated Fe3O4/graphene/TiO2 Hybrid Nanocomposite Mixture as Anode Material for Lithium-ion Batteries
Lithium-ion batteries are efficient energy storage devices in electric vehicles (EVs). Graphite is used in these batteries as an anode material because of its high stability and good conductivity. However, the need for stability, safety and reversibility is increasing rapidly in commercial EVs. In this study, a Fe<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>/TiO<sub>2</sub>/gra-phene hybrid nanocomposite coated with Al<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> has been developed using the microwave-assisted hydro-thermal process with graphite as the anode material for lithium-ion batteries. This combination of nano-materials increases the stability of the anode, electrical conductivity and electrochemical performance. The Fe<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>/graphene/TiO<sub>2</sub> nanocomposite results in a rever-sible capacity of 920 mAh g–1 after analysing it in 160 cycles at a current density of 100 mAh g–1. The nano-composite provides excellent long-term cycle stability of 650 mAh g–1 after 160 cycles. This shows an ultra-high rate capability of 475 mAh g–1 at 150°C. The gra-phene and Fe<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>/graphene/TiO<sub>2</sub>hybrid nanocomposite mixture coated with Al<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> exhibits good nonlinear cumulative effects, stability, high reversibility, and in-creased ultrahigh rate capability.
Electric Vehicles, Graphite Anode, Hybrid Nanocomposite, Lithium-ion Batteries, Microwave-assisted Hydrothermal Process
- Zheng, M., Li, L., Gu, P., Lin, Z., Xue, H. and Pang, H., A glassy carbon electrode modified with ordered nanoporous Co3O4 for non-enzymatic sensing of glucose. Microchim. Acta, 2017, 184(3), 943–949.
- Wang, X., Wei, X. and Dai, H., Estimation of state of health of lith-ium-ion batteries based on charge transfer resistance considering different temperature and state of charge. J. Energy Storage, 2019, 21, 618–631.
- Zhang, J. et al., MOF-derived transition metal oxide encapsulated in carbon layer as stable lithium-ion battery anodes. J. Alloys Compd., 2019, 797, 83–91.
- Shen, L., Che, Q., Li, H. and Zhang, X., Mesoporous NiCO2O4 nanowire arrays grown on carbon textiles as binder-free flexible electrodes for energy storage. Adv. Funct. Mater., 2014, 24(18), 2630–2637.
- Yuan, Y. F. et al., NiCO2S4 multi-shelled hollow polyhedrons as high-performance anode materials for lithium-ion batteries. Electrochim. Acta, 2019, 299, 289–297.
- Han, J., Fu, Q., Xi, B., Ni, X., Yan, C., Feng, J. and Xiong, S., Loading Fe3O4 nanoparticles on paper-derived carbon scaffold toward advanced lithium–sulfur batteries. J. Energy Chem., 2021, 52, 1–11.
- Ma, J. and Liu, C., Turning waste into treasure: reuse of contami-nant-laden adsorbents (Cr(vi)-Fe3O4/C) as anodes with high potas-sium-storage capacity. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 2021, 582, 1107–1115.
- Shen, H., Xia, X., Yan, S., Jiao, X., Sun, D., Lei, W. and Hao, Q., SnO2/NiFe2O4/graphene nanocomposites as anode materials for lithium ion batteries. J. Alloys Compd., 2021, 853, 157017.
- Liu, Z. et al., Sandwich shelled TiO2@Co3O4@Co3O4/C hollow spheres as anode materials for lithium ion batteries. Chem. Com-mun., 2021, 57(14), 1786–1789.
- Kumar, A., Hussain, I., Kumar, S. and Koo, B. H., Structural, opti-cal properties and the origin of spin functionality in the Co modified TiO2 nanoparticles. Vacuum, 2021, 183, 109870.
- Friesen, A. et al., Al2O3 coating on anode surface in lithium ion batteries: impact on low temperature cycling and safety behavior. J. Power Sources, 2017, 363, 70–77.
- Zhang, G., Li, X., Liu, H. and Wei, D., Engineering capacitive contribution in dual carbon-confined Fe3O4 nanoparticle enabling superior Li+ storage capability. J. Mater. Sci., 2021, 56(8), 5100–5112.
- Li, S., Wang, M., Luo, Y. and Huang, J., Bio-inspired hierarchical nanofibrous Fe3O4–TiO2–carbon composite as a high-performance anode material for lithium-ion batteries. ACS Appl. Mater. Inter-faces, 2016, 8(27), 17343–17351.
- Al-Hazmi, F. S., Al-Harbi, G. H., Beall, G. W., Al-Ghamdi, A. A., Obaid, A. Y. and Mahmoud, W. E., One pot synthesis of graphenebased on microwave assisted solvothermal technique. Synth. Met., 2015, 200, 54–57.
- Lu, J., Deng, C., Zhang, X. and Yang, P., Synthesis of Fe3O4/ graphene/TiO2 composites for the highly selective enrichment of phosphopeptides from biological samples. ACS Appl. Mater. Inter-faces, 2013, 5(15), 7330–7334.
- Friesen, A. et al., Al2O3 coating on anode surface in lithium-ion batteries: impact on low temperature cycling and safety behavior. J. Power Sources, 2017, 363, 70–77.
- Jorio, A. and Saito, R., Raman spectroscopy for carbon nanotube applications. J. Appl. Phys., 2021, 129(2), 021102.
- González-Gómez, M. A. et al., Development of superparamagnetic nanoparticles coated with polyacrylic acid and aluminum hydroxide as an efficient contrast agent for multimodal imaging. Nanomateri-als, 2019, 9(11), 1626.
- Nguyen, K. D. V. and Vo, K. D. N., Magnetite nanoparticles–TiO2 nanoparticles–graphene oxide nanocomposite: synthesis, characterization and photocatalytic degradation for rhodamine-B dye. AIMS Mater. Sci., 2020, 7(3), 288–301.
- Wang, W., Xiao, K., Zhu, L., Yin, Y. and Wang, Z., Graphene oxide supported titanium dioxide and ferroferric oxide hybrid, a magnetically separable photocatalyst with enhanced photocatalytic activity for tetracycline hydrochloride degradation. RSC Adv., 2017, 7(34), 21287–21297.
- Tang, S. et al., Fe3O4 nanoparticles three-dimensional electro-peroxydisulfate for improving tetracycline degradation. Chemosphere, 2021, 268, 129315.
- Cañón, J. and Teplyakov, A. V., XPS characterization of cobalt impregnated SiO2 and γ-Al2O3. Surf. Interface Anal., 2021, 53(5), 475–481.
- Zhu, H., Shiraz, M. H. A., Liu, L., Hu, Y. and Liu, J., A facile and low-cost Al2O3 coating as an artificial solid electrolyte interphase layer on graphite/silicon composites for lithium-ion batteries. Nano-technology, 2021, 32(14), 144001.
- Sumathi, S., Rajesh, R. and Subburaj, P., Investigation of dielectric strength of transformer oil based on hybrid TiO2/Al2O3/MoS2nanofluid using Taguchi and response surface methodology. IETE J. Res., 2019, 1–9.
- Rajesh, R. and Sumathi, S., Certain performance investigation on hybrid TiO2/Al2O3/MoS2 nanofiller coated 3∅ induction motor: a Taguchi and RSM based approach. Energy Rep., 2020, 6, 1638– 1647.
- Jing, L., Fu, A., Li, H., Liu, J., Guo, P., Wang, Y. and Zhao, X. S., One-step solvothermal preparation of Fe3O4/graphene composites at elevated temperature and their application as anode materials for lithium-ion batteries. RSC Adv., 2014, 4(104), 59981–59989.
- Gao, G. et al., PEG-200-assisted hydrothermal method for the con-trolled-synthesis of highly dispersed hollow Fe3O4 nanoparticles. J. Alloys Compd, 2013, 574, 340–344.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 3