The PDF file you selected should load here if your Web browser has a PDF reader plug-in installed (for example, a recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader).

If you would like more information about how to print, save, and work with PDFs, Highwire Press provides a helpful Frequently Asked Questions about PDFs.

Alternatively, you can download the PDF file directly to your computer, from where it can be opened using a PDF reader. To download the PDF, click the Download link above.

Fullscreen Fullscreen Off

Introduction: Umbilical cord blood is rich in stem cells, which are the building blocks of blood and the immune system. Objectives: The study had been undertaken to determine the effectiveness of structured teaching programme (STP) regarding cord blood banking. Methods: A pre-experimental design (one group pre test post test design) was undertaken in Gauhati Medical College and hospital, Guwahati Neurological research centre, Good health hospital, Central nursing home, Assam. The sample size consists of 60 staff nurses and convenient sampling technique was used. The items assessed the knowledge of samples regarding cord blood banking and it consists of 30 questions. Results: Out of 60 samples, in pre-test majority 43 (72%) of respondents had Inadequate knowledge and remaining 17(28%) of the respondents had moderately adequate knowledge. After the administration of structured teaching programme, in post-test majority 38(63%) of the respondents had moderately adequate knowledge and remaining 22(37%) had adequate knowledge regarding cord blood banking the mean knowledge score in pre-test is 11.47 with standard deviation 3.52. In post-test, the mean knowledge score is 22.07 with standard deviation 2.48. The calculated value of ā€œZā€ 19.08 is higher than the tabulated value 2.33 at 0.05% of level of significant. So it indicates that the mean posttest knowledge is significantly higher than the mean pretest knowledge. Hence, STP on cord blood banking is effective. Conclusion: The STP was effective in enhancing the knowledge of health professionals regarding umbilical cord blood stem cells collection, preservation and utilization and the teaching programme had a role in improving the knowledge of the health professionals.


Quasi Experimental Study, Hospital, Umbilical Cord Blood.
Font Size