Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Rotatory Arc Welding Technology on Metallurgical and Mechanical Performance of Armour Grade Steel Joints
This work is aimed to investigate the arc rotation effect on mechanical properties and metallurgical characteristics of 18 mm thickness armour grade quenched and tempered (Q & T) steel joints. Mechanical properties like tensile, impact toughness and microhardness were evaluated from welded joints. Metallurgical characteristics of welded joints like macrostructure, microstructure, and weld metal chemical composition were analyzed. From the results, it is observed that the rotating arc gas metal welded (RTA-GMW) joint contain minimum heat affected zone width (1.8 mm) and exhibits better tensile properties (784 MPa) due to the decrease in heat density caused by arc rotation of the joining process. The impact toughness properties of weld joint showed 36 % improvement than the unwelded base metal. Microstructural studies also revealed higher volume percentage of fine delta ferrite (δ-Fe) with vermicular type δ-Fe morphological future in the weld joint. The rotation arc caused reduction in heat input, enhanced strength, impact toughness properties and creation of vermicular type δ-Fe morphology in armour grade Q&T steel welded joints.
Armour Steel, Rotating Arc Welding, Mechanical Properties, Metallurgical Behaviour.
- Magudeeswaran G, Balasubramanian V and Madhusudhan Reddy G M (2008); Effect of welding consumables on tensile and impact properties of shielded metal arc welded high strength, quenched and tempered steel joint, Sci. Tech. Weld. Joining, 3(2).
- Balakrishnan M, Balasubramanian V and Reddy G M (2013); Microstructural analysis of ballistic tests on welded armour steel joints, Met. Mic. Ana, 2, pp.125–139.
- Magudeeswaran G, Balasubramanian V and Reddy G M (2009); Dynamic fracture toughness (J Id) behavior of armor-grade Q and T steel weldments: Effect of weld metal composition and microstructure, Met. Mat. Inte., 15, pp.1017-1026.
- Madhusudhan R G and Mohandas T (1996); Ballistic performance of high strength low alloy steel weldments, Jour. Mate. Proc. Tech, 57, pp.23–38.
- World Pipelines, Magazine (2017); Putting-a-Spin-on Welding.
- The Article (2017); A new spin on welding GMAW technology improves joining by rotating the wire.
- Sugitani Y and Kobayashi M (1991); Development and application of automatic high-speed rotation arc welding, Weld. Inte, 5 (7) 577-583.
- Li W, Gao K, Wu J, Wang J and Ji Y (2015); Groove sidewall penetration modeling for rotating arc narrow gap MAG welding, Int J Adv Manuf Technol, 78, pp.573–581.
- Linga Raju D and Raju N (2016); Effect of using a rotating electrode in gas metal arc welding on weld bead characteristics of aluminium alloy 6061-T6 weldments, Vol II, WCE, London, U.K.
- Venkatesh G, Sundararaj P, Verma D K and Arulkumar J (2018) ; Comparison of mechanical and metallurgical properties of conventional GMAW with spin arc GMAW process for carbon steel SA 515, Int. Res. J.Tech, 05(05).
- Abo Al Ela M A, Abdo GM, Elmahallawy A M and Sallam M T (2013); Effect of SMAW Welding Parameters on Mechanical and Structure Properties of Welded Joints of the Armoured Steel. Int. Con. Aero. Scie. Avia. Tech, pp.1-11.
- Saxena A, Kumaraswamy A, Reddy G M and Madhu V (2018); Influence of welding consumables on tensile and impact properties of multi-pass SMAW Armox 500T steel joints vis-a-vis base metal. Def. Tech., 14(3), pp.188-95.
- Amraei M, Ahola A, Afkhami S, Björk T, Heidarpour A and Zhao X L (2019); Effects of heat input on the mechanical properties of butt-welded high and ultrahigh strength steels, Eng. Struc., Nov 1,198, 109460.
- Sharma V and Shahi A S (2014); Effect of groove design on mechanical and metallurgical properties of quenched and tempered low alloy abrasion resistant steel welded joints. Mate. Des., 1, 53, pp.727-736.
- Min D, Xin-hua T, Feng-gui L and Shun Y (2014); Welding of quenched and tempered steels with highspin arc narrow gap MAG system, Int. J. Adv. Man.Tech., 55, pp.527–533.
- ASTM E8-14 (2014); Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials.
- ASTM E407-15 (2015); Standard Practice for Micro etching Metals and Alloys.
- Ramaswamy A, Malarvizhi S, Balasubramanian V (2019); Influence of post weld heat treatment on tensile properties of cold metal transfer (CMT) arc welded AA6061-T6 aluminum alloy joints, J. Mech.Behv. Mate., 28, pp.135–145.
- Karthick K, Malarvizhi S, Balasubramanian V, Krishnan S A, Sasikala G and Albert S K (2016); Tensile properties of shielded metal arc welded dissimilar joints of nuclear grade ferritic steel and austenitic stainless steel. J. Mech. Behv. Mate., 25(5–6), pp.171–178.
- Lee J, Kim D, Lee Y C and Lee C (2021); Influence of alloying elements in low temperature transformation Weldment on Ms. temperature, microstructure and mechanical properties, Mats. Char., 171, 110755.
- Balakrishnan M, Balasubramanian V and Reddy G M (2012); Effect of PTA hard-faced interlayer thickness on ballistic performance of shielded metal arc welded amour steel welds, J. Mat. Engg. Perf, 22, pp.806–814.
- Naveen Kumar S, Balasubramanian V, Malarvizhi S, Rahman H and A Balaguru V (2021); Influence of welding consumables on ballistic performance of gas metal arc welded ultrahigh hard armour steel joints, Mats. Perf. Char, 10(1), pp.443-462.
- Magudeeswaran G, Balasubramanian V and Reddy G M (2018); Metallurgical characteristics of armour steel welded joints used for combat vehicle construction. Defe. Tech., 14, pp.590-606.
- Da Cruz Junior E J, Franzini OD, Calliari I (2019); Effects of nickel addition on the microstructure of laser welded UNS S32750 duplex stainless steel, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 50, pp.1616–1618.
- Goncalves R H, Silva M, Barancell, Schwedersky, Arthur Gustavo Moreira Santos Marcelo Pompermaier (2020); Effects of the rotating arc technique on the GMA welding process, Technical Papers, Soldag. insp. 25.
- Dadfar M, Fathi M H, Karimzadeh F, Dadfar M R and Saatchi A (2007); Effect of TIG welding on corrosion behavior of 316L stainless steel, Matls. Lett., 61(11-12), pp.2343-2346.
- Rajani H Z, Torkamani H, Sharbati M, Raygan S (2012); Corrosion resistance improvement in Gas Tungsten Arc Welded 316L stainless steel joints through controlled preheat treatment, Mate. Des., 34, pp.51-57.
- Balaguru V, Balasubramanian V and Shivkumar P (2020); tensile properties of shielded metal arc welded ultrahigh hard armour steel joints, J Adv Eng Tech Sci.,1(2), pp.71-84.
- Saluja R and Moeed K M (2018); Depiction of detrimental metallurgical effects in grade 304 austenitic stainless steel arc welds, Inter. J. Mech. Pro., 8(6), pp.207-218.
- Sriba A, Vogt J B and Amara S E (2018); Microstructure, micro-hardness and impact toughness of welded austenitic stainless steel 316L, Trans. Ind. Inst. Met., 71(9), pp.2303-2314.
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 0