Open Access Subscription Access
Social Network Analysis (SNA) to Analyse Bollywood Movies
In today's world Social Network is the mostly used media for communication among the people. The service provided by social network allows people to use and engage with the Internet and with each other. Assessment of these interactions allows critical analysis of trends or opinion. Assessment requires analysis. That is the main reason for the popularity of Social Network Analysis. Social network analysis has undergone a renaissance with the ubiquity and quantity of content from social media, web pages, and sensors. Social network analysis has been a popular research area recently thanks to the availability of many large dataset. The main problem in social network analysis is to recover the underlying network structure given information about how nodes in the network interact with each other in the past. Graph analytics have proven to be valuable tools in Social Network Analysis. This work introduces a novel approach that uses social network analysis for study and analysis of the different stakeholders of Bollywood movie industry. The Indian movie industry is a big business prospect of India. Even the movies released in one year is much higher that any other film industry. Some of the stake holders of the movie industry like stars, directors, music directors are not only renowned in society but also financially prospective. To test this approach, experiments have been conducted on Internet movie database (Imdb) of a particular era. The results obtained from the analysis are encouraging for predicting future trends of the different stake holders of Bollywood movies.
Social Network Analysis, Movies, Network, Cluster Coefficient, Success of Movies.
- Wasserman, S., and Faust, K., Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Zinkhan, G.M., Roth, M.S. and Saxton, M.J., Knowledge Development and Scientific Status in Consumer-Behavior Research: A Social Exchange Perspective, Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 19, No.2, pp.282-291, 1992.
- Carter, C.R., Leuschner, R. and Rogers, D.S., A Social Network Analysis of the Journal of Supply Chain Management: Knowledge Generation, Knowledge Diffusion and Thought Leadership, Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 43, No.2, pp.15-28, 2007.
- Newman, M.E.J., Scientific Collaboration Networks. II. Shortest Paths, Weighted Networks, and Centrality, Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, No.1, pp.016132-1-7, 2001.
- Barabási, A.L., Jeong, H., Neda, Z., Ravasz, E., Schubert, A. and Vicsek, T., Evolution of the Social Network of Scientific Collaborations, Physica A, Vol. 311, pp. 590-614, 2002.
- Park, S., Oh, K. and Jo, G., Social Network Analysis in a Movie Using Character-Net, Multimed Tools Appl., Vol. 59, pp. 601-627, 2013.
- Weng, C., Chu, W. and Wu, J., Movie Analysis Based on Roles’ Social Network, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp.1403-1406, 2007.
- Doshia, L., Kraussa, J., Nanna, S., and Gloor, P., Predicting Movie Prices Through Dynamic Social Network Analysis, Proceedings of the Conference on Collaborative Innovations Networks Conference (COINs 2009), pp.6423–6433, 2009.
- Krauss, J., Nann, S., Simon, D., Fischbach, K. and Gloor, P., Predicting Movie Success and Academy Awards through Sentiment and Social Network Analysis, Proceedings of the ECIS-2008, pp.547-552, 2008.
- Burt, R.S., Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition, Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Top Movies of 2010-2015, http:// www. imdb. com/ l is t / ls075761511/ , accessed on March 18 2016.
- Wang, H.L. and Cheong, L.-F., Affective Understanding in Film, IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 16, No.6, pp.689-704, 2006.
- Hanjalic, A. and Xu, L.-Q., Affective Video Content Representation and Modeling, IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, Vol. 7, No.1, pp.143-154, 2005.
- Bastian, M., Heymann, S. and Jacomy, M., Gephi: an Open Source Software for Exploring and Manipulating Networks, Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, pp.361-362, 2009.
- Box Office India, http://www.boxofficeindia.com/Years/years_detail/ 2015#, accessed on March 18 2016.
Abstract Views: 439
PDF Views: 49