Open Access Subscription Access
An Eexperimental Investigation on Burr Height and Machining Time in Drilling for Metallic and Non-Metallic Speciments
Drilling is one of the most conventional types of machining operations to make holes. In this experimental work drilling has been performed on metallic (low alloy steel) and non metallic (bakelite) blocks by a radial drilling machine. At the exit side of the workpiece adhesive and wax were pasted to reduce the burr height and machining time. Experiment has been carried out in different rpm. It has been found that adhesive is very effective to reduce burr height for metallic specimen and machining time for non-metallic specimen. Wax is very effective to reduce machining time for metallic specimen and burr height of non metallic specimen.
Drilling, Burr Height, Machining Time, Low Alloy Steel, Bakelite.
- Chattopadhyay, A.B., Machining and Machine Tools, Willey-India, New Delhi, 2012.
- Bhattacharyya, A., Metal Cutting, Theory and Practice, New Central Book Agency, Kolkata, 2008.
- Singh, R., Introduction to basic manufacturing process and workshop technology, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi, 2009.
- Shanmughasundaram, P. and Subramanian, R., Study of parametric optimization of burr formation in step drilling of eutectic Al–Si alloy–Gr composites, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Vol. 3, pp.150157, 2014.
- Bhandari, B., Hong, Y.S., Yoon, S.H., Moon, J.S., Pham, M.Q., Lee, G.B., Huang, Y., Linke, B.S., Dornfeld, D.A. and Ahn, S.H., Development of a micro-drilling burr-control chart for PCB drilling, Precision Engineering, Vol. 38, pp.221-229, 2014.
- Kundu, S., Das, S. and Saha, P.P., Optimization of drilling parameters to minimize burr by providing back-up support on aluminium alloy, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 97, No. C, pp.230-240, 2014.
- Biermann, D. and Hartmann, H., Reduction of Burr Formation in Drilling Using Cryogenic Process Cooling, 45th CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 3, pp. 85-90, 2012.
- Segonds, S., Masounave, J., Songmene, V. and BEs, C., A simple analytical model for burr type prediction in drilling of ductile materials, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, pp. 971-977, 2013.
- Pilny, L., Chiffre, L.D., Piska, M. and Villumsen, M.F., Hole quality and burr reduction in drilling aluminium sheets, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol. 5, pp. 102-107, 2012.
- Gaitonde, V.N., Karnik, S.R., Achyutha, B.T. and Siddeswarappa, B., Taguchi optimization in drilling of AISI 316L stainless steel to minimize burr size using multi-performance objective based on membership function, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 202, pp. 374-379, 2012.
- Pena, B., Aramendi, G., Rivero, A. and Lopez, de L.L.N., Monitoring of drilling for burr detection using spindle torque, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 45, pp.1614–1621, 2005.
- Chang, S.S.F. and Bone, G.M., Burr size reduction in drilling by ultrasonic assistance, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 21, pp. 442-450, 2005.
- Kim, J., Min, S. and Dornfeld, D.A., Optimization and control of drilling burr formation of AISI 304L and AISI 4118 based on drilling burr control charts, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 41, pp. 923–936, 2001.
- Ko, S.L., Chang, J.E. and Yang, G.E., Burr minimizing scheme in drilling, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 140, pp. 237-242, 2003.
- Min, S., Kim, J. and Dornfeld, D.A., Development of a drilling burr control chart for low alloy steel AISI 4118, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 113, pp. 4-9. 2001.
- Trigui, A., Karkri, M. and Krupa, I., Thermal conductivity and latent heat thermal energy storage properties of LDPE/wax as a shaped-stabilized composite phase change material, Energy Conversion and
- Management, Vol. 77, pp. 586-596, 2014.
- Mondal, N., Sardar, B.S., Halder, R.N. and Das, S., Observation of drilling burr and finding out the condition for minimum burr formation, International Journal of Manufacturing Engineering, Vol.2014, pp.112, 2014.
- Roy, K., Mukherjee, P., Hansda, U.K., Halder, S., Mandal, S., Mandal, S., Saha, P.P. and Das, S., On drilling burr reduction of low carbon steel workpiece, Indian Science Cruiser, Vol.28, No.4, pp.19-24, 2014.
- Kundu, S., Das, S. and Saha, P.P., An investigation on developing a drilling burr prediction model, Reason- A Technical Journal, Vol.13, pp.107-117, 2014.
- Kundu, S., Das, S. and Saha, P.P., Reduction of exit burr during drilling an aluminium alloy, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering and its Inter-Disciplinary Areas, Kolaghat, West Bengal, India, pp.311-317, 2015.
- Misra, D., Das, S. and Saha, P.P., Drilling Burr Reduction Using an Adhesive as a Backup Support, Proceedings of the National Workshop on Machining and Machinability of Advanced Materials, Durgapur, West Bengal, India, p.16, 2016.
- Kundu, S., Das, S. and Saha, P.P., Effect of exit edge beveling on burr height in drilling aluminium alloy, Proceedings of the 6th International and 27th AIMTDR Conference, Pune, India, pp.1201-1205, 2016.
Abstract Views: 283
PDF Views: 31