Open Access Subscription Access
Analytical Study of Highly Sensitive Mems Based Bragg Grating Pressure Sensor
A model of MEMS based Bragg Grating Pressure Sensor is analytically proposed in this paper. In MEMS pressure sensor, the shift of wavelength of only one Bragg grating incorporated into a waveguide gives an erroneous outcome because of the cross sensitivity rendered by different parameters including temperature. In this design, the sensor consisting of dual identical Waveguide Bragg Gratings (WBGs) integrated in a curved waveguide in silicon micro-machined circular diaphragm is presented. The pitch of the Bragg gratings changes upon the application of pressure on the diaphragm, and hence, the corresponding wavelength is shifted. As the wavelength shifts because of the temperature, in the two identical waveguide gratings in equal amount, the error occurs due to the change of temperature can be eliminated. So, the Pressure Sensitivity (PS) can be measured correctly. A parametric analysis of this proposed sensor is performed utilizing MATLAB 2015a programming. Pressure sensitivities are found to be 2.0 and 1.8 picometre per Pascal for the two Bragg gratings.
Optical MEMS, Micro-machined Diaphragm, Waveguide Bragg Gratings, Pressure Sensor.
- Krohn, D.A., Fiber Optic Sensors Fundamentals and Applications, Instrument Society of America, Research Triangle Park, NC27709, 2000.
- Berthold, J.W., Historical Review of Micro Bend Fiber-Optic Sensors, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.13, pp.11931199, 1995.
- Fielder, R.S., Duncan, R.G., Kozikowski, C.L. and Raum, M.T., High Temperature Bragg Grating Pressure Sensor Optimization for 3D Temperature Mapping of the SAFE100A Thermal Simulator, Proceedings of the Space Nuclear Conference, San Diego, California, 2005.
- Murukeshan, V.M., Chan, P.Y., Ong, L.S. and Seah, L.K., Cure Monitoring of Smart Composites Using Fiber Bragg Grating Based Embedded Sensors, Sensors. Actuators A: Physics, Vol. 79, No. 2, pp.153–161, 2000.
- Xu, M.G., Reekie, L., Chow, Y.T. and Dakin, J.P., Optical In-Fiber Grating High Pressure Sensor, Electron. Letters, Vol. 25, pp.398– 399, 1993.
- Liu, Y., Guo, Z., Zhang, Y., Chiang, K.S. and Dong, X., Simultaneous Pressure and Temperature Measurement with PolymerCoated Fiber Bragg Grating, Electron. Letters, Vol. 36, pp.564–566, 2000.
- Zhang, Y., Feng, D., Liu, Z., Guo, Z., Dong, X., Chiang, K.S. and Chu, B.C.B., HighSensitivity Pressure Sensor Using a Shielded Polymer Coated Fiber Bragg Grating, IEEE Photon. Technol. Letters, Vol. 13, pp.618–619, 2001.
- Kirkendall, C.K. and Dandridge, A., Overview of High-Performance Fiber-Optic Sensing, Journal of Physics D, Applied Physics, Vol. 37, pp.R197–R21, 2004.
- Liu, D., Ngo, N.Q., Tjin, S.C. and Dong, X., A Dual-Wavelength Fiber Laser Sensor System for Measurement of Temperature and Strain, IEEE Photon. Technology Letters, Vol. 19, No.15, pp.1148–1150, 2007.
- Ahmad, H., Harun, S.W., Chong, W.Y., Zulkifli, M.Z., Thant, M.M.M., Yusof, Z. and Poopalan, P., High-Sensitivity Pressure Sensor Using a Polymer-Embedded FBG, Microwave Opt. Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 60–61, 2008.
- Zhao, M.-F, Wang, S.-F., Luo, B.-B., Zhong, N.-B. and Cao, X.-M., Theoretical Study on the Cross Sensitivity of Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Affected by Temperature and Transverse Pressure, Proceedings of the Symposium of Photonics, Optoelectron, pp.1-4, 2010.
- Fragiacomo, G., Reck, K., Lorenzen, L. and Thomsen E.V., Novel Designs for Application Specific MEMS Pressure Sensors, Sensors, Vol. 10, No.11, pp.9541– 9563, 2010.
Abstract Views: 216
PDF Views: 26