Open Access Subscription Access
Application of Electromagnetic Braking Torque and Different Braking Modes Programmed with ATmega328p Microcontroller in Electromagnetic Braking System
Electromagnetic braking system uses magnetic force in order to stop the vehicle. In the present design, a disc with requisite number of solenoids has been arranged for achieving the purpose. While trying to stop the vehicle, the pilot needs to turn on the brake switch to supply electric power. Thereby a magnetic field will be developed on the ambience of the solenoids which will prohibit the rotation of the disc and eventually the vehicle will come to a halt. The wheel torque is evaluated from various experimental data and in this paper a comparison is made between the braking torque and wheel torque. Realistic calculation in this paper reveals that value of braking torque using electromagnetic brake can be made greater than the torque of the wheel, which is actually needed to stop any vehicle. Different braking modes have been achieved with Arduino, ATmega328p microcontroller based programming using ultrasonic sensors. This paper aims to find a faster, efficient and safe way of braking with almost no maintenance cost and least possibility of brake failure.
Electromagnetic braking, Ultrasonic Sensor, ATmega328p Programming, Automation in braking system.
- Sudarshan, T.A., SefeeJ, Swathin, Nikith, T. and Nidhin, Design and Fabrication of Electromagnetic Braking System, Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, Vol.5, No.6, pp.479-487,2018.
- Gajbhiye, P.R., Tembhume, R. and Ansari, Z., Design and Manufacturing of Electromagnetic Braking System, Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, Vol.6, No.5, pp.239-242,2019.
- Sewel, P., Kannan, N.V. and Mukesh, M.S., Innovative Electro Magnetic Braking System, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol.3, No.2, pp.46-53,2014.
- Maurya, V.K., Jalan, R.,Agan/val, H.P.,Abdl, S.H., Pal, D., Tripathi, G. and Raj, J.S., Eddy Current Braking Embedded System, International Journal of Applied Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp.104- 113,2012.
- Puttewar, A.S., Kakde, N.U., Fidvi, H.A. and Nandeshwar, B., Enhancement of Braking System in Automobile Using Electromagnetic Braking, lOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol.11, pp.54- 59,2014.
- Land, S., McGuire, P., Bumb, N., Mann, B.P. and Yellen, B.B., Electromagnetic braking revisited with a magnetic point dipole model, American Journal of Physics, Vol.84, No.4, pp.257-262,2016.
- Shrivastava, E.S., A Parametric Analysis of Magnetic Braking- the Eddy Current Brakes- for High Speed and Power Automobiles and Locomotives Using SIMULINK, International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Vol.3, No.8, pp.11131-11137,2014.
- Dhoot, R., Gaikar, S., Kilmarnock, N. and Jain, O., Design and Theoretical study of Electromagnetic Braking System, lOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol.13, No.6, pp.87-96,2016.
- https://x-engineer.org/automotive-enginee- ring/chassis/vehicle-dynamics/calculate- wheel-torque-engine/. Date of access: 27/02/2021.
Abstract Views: 166
PDF Views: 26