Open Access Subscription Access
Synergistic Effect of Ultrasound Assisted Extraction and Two-phase Systems on the Recovery of Penicillin G from Water
Penicillin G (Peni G) is a molecule of high interest for pharmaceutical use, but a purification process is required. In this work, phase diagrams of aqueous two-phase systems (ATPS) containing Polyethylene glycol (PEG-6000) - Sodium citrate - water as well as the partitioning behaviour of penicillin G in these systems are presented. The effect of different parameters on extraction conditions such as salt (type and concentration), polyethylene glycol molecular weight and concentration, temperature, pH of buffer solution, volume ratio and the effect of ultrasound were evaluated and optimized. Aqueous two-phase systems of PEG-6000 37.5% (w/w)/ citrate buffer solution 28.5% (w/w) with a ratio of 2/1, pH 6.16, and at room temperature (22°C), assisted by ultrasound (20 kHz value of frequency) is shown to be an effective way of separating and concentrating penicillin G from an aqueous phase and also gives a reduced consumption of time and organic solvents. In those conditions, separation efficiency is upper than 99% compared with liquid/liquid extraction 85%.
Partitioning, Phase-diagrams, Polyethylene Glycol, Separation, Sodium Citrate
- Lei W. and Li Z., Improved extraction of penicillin G using hydrocarbon sulfoxides, J. Chem. Technol.
- Biotechnol., 79 (2004) 281-285.
- Schügerl K., Extraction of primary and secondary metabolites, Adv. Biochem. Eng. Technol., 92 (2005) 1-48.
- Sun X., Chang Z., Liu H., Wang F. and Zhang Y., Recovery of butyl acetate in wastewater of penicillin plant by solvent sublation. I. Experimental study, Sep. Sci. Technol., 40 (2005) 927-940.
- Albertsson P.A., Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules, 2nd ed., New York, (1991).
- Zaslavsky B.Y., Aqueous Two-Phase Partitioning: Physical Chemistry and Bioanalytical Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, (1995).
- Chen J., Spear S.K., Huddleston J.G. and Rogers R.D., Polyethylene glycol and solutions of polyethylene glycol as green reaction media, Green Chem., 7 (2005) 64-82.
- Albertsson P.Å, Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules, 3rd edition. John Wiley, New York., (1986).
- Hustedt H., Kroner K.H. and Kula M.R., Applications of phase partitioning in biotechnology, in Partition in Aqueous Two-Phase Systems: Theory, Methods, Uses and Applications to Biotechnology (Walter H., Brooks D.E. and Fisher D., eds.), Academic, Orlando, FL, (1985) 529587.
- Abbot N.L., Blankschtein D. and Hatton T.A., On protein partitioning in two-phase aqueous polymer systems. Bioseparation, 1 (1990) 191-225
- Huddleston J., Veide A., Köhler K., Flanagan J., Enfors S.O. and Lyddiat A., The molecular basis of partitioning in aqueous two-phase systems. Trends Biotechnol., 9 (1991) 381-388.
- Soria A.C. and Villamiel M., Effect of ultrasound on the technological properties and bioactivity of food : A review. Trends Food Sci. Technol., 21 (2010) 323-331.
- Vieira G.S., Cavalcanti R.N., Meireles M.A.A. and Hubinger M.D., Chemical and economic evaluation of natural antioxidant extracts obtained by ultrasoundassisted and agitated bed extraction from jussara pulp (Euterpe edulis). J. Food Eng. 119 (2013) 196-204.
- Hatti-Kaul R., Ed. Aqueous Two-Phase Systems: Methods and Protocols; Methods in biotechnology 11; Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, (2000).
- Johansson G., Partitioning procedures and techniques: Small molecules and macromolecules, in Methods in Enzymology. Aqueous Two-Phase Systems, (Walter H. and Johansson G., eds.), Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 228 (1994) 28-42.
- Mokhtarani B., Karimzadeh R., Hassan M., Siavash A. and Manesh D., Partitioning of Ciprofloxacin in aqueous two-phase system of poly(ethylene glycol) and sodium sulphate, Biochem. Eng. J., 38(2) (2008) 241247.
- Tubio G., Pellegrini L., Nerli B.B. and Pico G.A., LiquidLiquid Equilibria of Aqueous Two Phase Systems Containing Poly (ethylene glycols) of Different Molecular Weight and Sodium Citrate, Chem. Eng. J., 51 (2006) 209-212.
- Lee S.C., Effect of volume of internal aqueous phase to organic membrane phase (w/o ratio) of water in oil emulsion on penicillin G extraction by emulsion liquid membrane, J. Membr. Sci., 163 (1993) 193-201.
- Mason T.J., Lorimer J.P. and Bates D.M., Quantifying sonochemistry: Casting some light on a 'black art'
- Ultrasonics, 30(1) (1992) 40-42.
- Wang W., Jooyeoun J., Elizabeth T. and Yanyun Z., LWT Food Science and Technology, 72 (2016).
- Kondo T. and Kano E., Effect of free radicals induced by ultrasonic cavitation on cell killing Int. J. Radiat Biol. 54(3) (1988) 475-486.
- Li Y., Zhang Y., Sui X., Zhanga Y., Fenga H. and Jiang L., Ultrasound-assisted aqueous enzymatic extraction of oil from perilla (Perilla frutescens L.) seeds, CYTA-J. Food., 12(1) (2014) 16-21.
- Demaggio A.E. and Lott J.A., Application of Ultrasound
- for Increasing Alkaloid Yield from Datura Stramonium,
- J. Pharm. Sci., 53(8) (1964) 945-949.
- European pharmacopoeia, sixth edition: supplement 6.1 published on september 12th (2007).
Abstract Views: 80
PDF Views: 1