Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Identifying Financial & Operating Issues and Measuring Systematic & Unsystematic Risks:A Study of Indian Banking Sector
The Indian banking sector has acted as a crucial determinant in shaping the current Indian economy. The research paper attempts to identify certain financial and operating issues prevailing in the Indian banking sector. These issues include rise in cyber-attacks, money laundering cases, non-performing assets of public sector banks, inability to implement Basel III due to weak capital position, and challenges in financial inclusion along with low profitability of public sector banks about their massive asset base. The research paper also measures the volatility, risk (comprising systematic and unsystematic) associated with 10 banks that are constituents of the S&P BSE banking index (BANKEX) based on their daily returns.
Banking, Beta, Issues, Risk, Systematic Risk, Unsystematic Risk, Volatility.
- Bhide, M. G., Prasad, A., & Ghosh, S. (2001). Emerging Challenges in Indian Banking. Retrieved from http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/1711/MPRA Paper No. 1711 (accessed 8 May, 2017).
- BSE. (2017). S&P BSE BANKEX Index Constituents. Retrieved from http://www.bseindia.com/sensexview/IndicesWatch_weight.aspx?iname= BANKEX&index_Code=53 (accessed 4 March, 2017).
- Deloitte. (2016). Cyber Security: De-Risking India’s Banking Industry. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/risk/in-risk-cyber-risk-noexp.pdf (accessed 22 May, 2017).
- Dev, M. S. (2006). Financial inclusion: Issues and challenges. Economic and Political Weekly, 41(41), 4310-4313.
- EY. (2017). Unmasking India’s NPA issues – can the banking sector overcome this phase?. Retrieved from http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/ey-unmasking-india-npa-issues-can-the-banking-sector-overcome-this-phase/$File/ey-unmasking-india-npa-issues-can-the-banking-sector-overcome-this-phase.pdf (accessed 5 June 2017).
- Ghosh, S. (2010). Credit growth, bank soundness and financial fragility evidence from Indian Banking Sector. South Asia Economic Journal, 11(1), 69-98.
- Golait, R. (2007). Current issues in agriculture credit in India: An assessment. Reserve Bank of India Occasional Papers, 28(1).
- Goyal, K. A., & Joshi, V. (2012). Indian banking industry: Challenges and opportunities. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal.
- Goyal, K. A., & Joshi, V. (2011). Mergers in banking industry of India: Some emerging issues. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 1(2), 157-165.
- Kamath, K. V., Kohli, S. S., Shenoy, P. S., Kumar R., Nayak, R. M., Kuppuswamy, P., T., & Ravichandran, N. (2003). Indian banking sector: Challenges and opportunities. Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, 28(3), 83-100.
- Mohan, R. (2005). Financial sector reforms in India: Policies and performance analysis. Economic and Political Weekly, 40(12), 1106-1121.
- Mohan, R. (2006). Economic growth, financial deepening and financial inclusion. The Annual Bankers’ Conference 2006, Hyderabad, 3 November 2006.
- Mohan, R., & Ray, P. (2017). Indian Financial Sector: Structure, Trends and Turns. IMF Working Paper 17/7. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/~/media/Files/Publications/WP/wp1707.ashx.
- Narsimhan, C. R. L. (2014). The challenge of financial inclusion. The Hindu. Retrieved from http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/C_R_L__Narasimhan/the-challenge-of-financial-inclusion/article6345276.ece (accessed 12 March 2017).
- Poddar, A., & Goyal, A. (2017). Digital India needs a cyber security reboot. Live Mint. Retrieved from http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/ORfRrY3ecTFGlKOsJlrqAJ/Digital-India-needs-a-cybersecurityreboot.html (accessed 21 May 2017).
- PWC. (2015). Logging into digital banking Creating access, transforming lives. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.in/assets/pdfs/publications/2015/logging-into-digital-banking.pdf (accessed 15 May 2017).
- Rahmath, S., Date, H., & Kammani, A. (2011). Internet banking adoption in an emerging economy: Indian consumer’s perspective. International Arab Journal of e-Technology, 2(1).
- Rajamohan, S., & Muthukamu, M. (2014). Bank nifty index and other sectoral indices of NSE-A comparative study. PARIPEX-Indian Journal of Research, 3(4), 147-149.
- Raman, U. J. (2008). Operational risk management in Indian banks in the context of Basel II: A survey of the state of preparedness and challenges in developing the framework. Asia Pacific Journal of Finance and Banking Research, 2(2).
- Ranjan, R., & Dhal, S. C. (2003). Non-performing loans and terms of credit of public sector banks in India: An empirical assessment. Reserve Bank of India Occasional Papers, 24(3).
- Reserve Bank of India. (2016). Financial Stability Report (Issue No.14). Retrieved from https://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/PublicationReport/Pdfs/0FSR_166BABD6ABE04B48AFB534749A1BF38882.PDF (accessed 3 May 2017).
- Reserve Bank of India. (2016). Reserve Bank of India Annual Report 2015-16. Retrieved from https://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/AnnualReport/PDFs/0RBIAR2016CD93589EC2C4467793892C79FD05555D.PDF (accessed 14 April 2017).
- Reserve Bank of India. (2016). Revised Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) Framework for Banks. Retrieved from https://rbi.org.in/Scripts/NotificationUser.aspx?Id=10921&Mode=0 (accessed 7 April 2017).
- Singh C. (2016). Challenges to financial inclusion. The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved from http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/jan-dhan-yojana-fraud-should-be-curbed/article9169214.ece (accessed 12 June 2017).
- Singh, C., Mittal, A., Goenka, A., Goud, C. R. P., Ram, K., Suresh, R. V.,....., Kumar, U. (2014). Financial Inclusion in India: Select Issues. Working Paper 474. Retrieved from https://iimb.ac.in/research/sites/default/files/WP%20No.%20474.pdf
- Singh, C., Pattanayak, D., Dixit, D. S., Antony, K., Aggarwal, M., Kant, R.,...., Mathur, V. (2016). Frauds in the Indian Banking Industry. Working Paper 505. Retrieved from https://iimb.ac.in/research/sites/default/files/WP%20No.%20505.pdf
- Lakshmi, P. S. (2013). Volatility patterns in various sectoral indices in Indian stock market. Global Journal of Management and Business Studies, 3(8), 879-886.
- The Economic Times. (2017). Centre to infuse Rs 8,586 crore capital in 10 weak banks. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/finance/centre-to-infuse-rs-8586-crore-capital-in-10-weak-banks/articleshow/57717802.cms (accessed 17 June 2017).
- The Economic Times. (2017). Frauds going up in number, banks need to tighten cyber security norms: RBI. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/frauds-going-up-in-number-banks-need-to-tighten-cyber-security-norms-rbi/articleshow/59388328.cms (accessed 12 June 2017).
- The Economic Times. (2017). Government plans more SBI-like mergers, India may soon have another globalsized bank. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/government-may-approve-one-more-psu-bank-consolidation-bymarch/articleshow/59072685.cms (accessed 14 June 2017).
- The Economic Times. (2017). PSBs gross NPA hits 9.83% in FY16; rises to 11.82% by September 2016. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/psbs-gross-npa-hits-9-83-in-fy16-rises-to-11-82-by-september-2016/articleshow/56955144.cms (accessed 1 June 2017).
- The Times of India, City. (2017). BHIM/UPI breached to defraud bank customers, 2 arrested. Retrieved from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/bhim/upi-breached-to-defraud-bank-customers-2-arrested/articleshow/59394034.cms (accessed 12 June 2017).
- The Times of India. (2015). Money laundering: Over 480 banks under RBI lens. Retrieved from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Money-laundering-Over-480-banks-under-RBI-lens/articleshow/46505033.cms (accessed 4 April 2017).
- The Times of India. (2016). Cut govt stake in PSU banks to below 50%: RBI. Retrieved from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Cut-govt-stake-in-PSU-banks-to-below-50-RBI/articleshow/53850821.cms (accessed 12 February 2017).
- Tiwari, D. (2017). Government in talks with RBI to defer Basel-III norms for banks. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/government-in-talks-with-rbi-to-defer-basel-iii-norms-for-banks/articleshow/59224056.cms (accessed 18 May, 2017).
- William, A. J., & Vimala, T. (2015). A study on equity share price volatility of selected private banks in national stock exchange. IMPACT: International Journal of Research in Applied, Natural and Social Sciences, 2(1), 88-95.
Abstract Views: 141
PDF Views: 0