Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study of Family Environment as a Predictor of Anger Among Adolescents
The present research aimed to study the relationship between Family environment and Anger among adolescents. A sample of 300 adolescents, studying in class X to XII , C.B.S.E. board schools from Ghaziabad was taken. Family Environment Scale (Bhatia & Chadha, 2015) and CMI Health Questionnaire (Wig, Pershad, & Verma, 2002) were used to measure Family Environment and Anger respectively. Correlation and Multiple regression were used to analyze the data. Results suggest an inverse relationship between family environment and Anger in terms of, cohesion, expressiveness, acceptance and caring, independence, active-recreational orientation, organization and control, leaving out Conflict which was positively correlated to Anger. Further, Expressiveness, Conflict, Organization, Independence, and Cohesion come up as predictors of Anger among adolescents.
family environment, anger, adolescents, students.
- Berkowitz, L., & Jones, E.H., (2004). Towards an understanding of the determinants of anger. Emotions, 4(2), 107-130. doi: 10.1037/1528-3522.214.171.124. https://pubmed. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov//15222847/
- Bhatia, H., & Chadha, N.K. (2015). Family Environment Scale (FES-BC). Agra: National Psychological Corporation.
- Feinauer, I. D., Larson, J. H., & Harper, J. M. (2010). Implicit family process rules and adolescent psychological symptoms. American Journal of Family Therapy, 38(1), 63-72. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926180902961548
- Jackson, J., Kuppens, P., Sheeber, L.B., & Allen, N.B. (2011). Expression of anger in depressed adolescents: The role of the family environment. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39, 463-474. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-010-9473-3
- Labella, M.H., & Masten, A.S. (2018). Family influences on the development of aggression and violence. Current Opinion in Psychology, 19, 11-16.
- Natso, P., George, L. S., & Cu, J. (2018). Level of anger, coping and factors influences anger amongst adolescents. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, 12(4), 65-70.
- Pickhardt, C. E. (2010). Psychology today. Adolescents and Anger. Retrieved on 16 June 2022. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/surviving-your-childs-adolesce nce/201007/adolescence-and-anger
- Sangwan, S., & Sharma, D. (2016). Impact of family environment on adolescents aggression. Advance Research Journal of Social Science, 7(2), 225-229.
- Sigfusdottir, I. D., Farkas, G., & Silver, E. (2004). The role of depressed mood and anger in the relationship between family conflict and delinquent behavior. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 33(6), 509-522. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOYO.00000 48065.17118.63
- Wig, N.N., Pershad, D., & Verma, S.K. (2002). CMI Health Questionnaire. Agra: National Psychological Corporation.
- Yu, C., Zhang, J., Zuo, X., Lian, Q., Tu, X., & Lou, C. (2021). Correlations of impulsivity and aggressive behaviours among adolescents in Shanghai, China using bioecological model: Cross-sectional data from global early adolescent study. BMJ Open, 11, 7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-043785
Abstract Views: 72
PDF Views: 0